Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Offloaded and bumped J to Y in DOH on ARN-DOH-SYD

Old Mar 17, 2018, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Just looking for some advice. Offloaded from my J class booking to SYD. Have been offered a flight 12 hours later, hotel and 800 USD, or to take the flight in economy instead. Apparently flight was overbooked.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mkdoc
Just looking for some advice. Offloaded from my J class booking to SYD. Have been offered a flight 12 hours later, hotel and 800 USD, or to take the flight in economy instead. Apparently flight was overbooked.
At what airport?
Full route xxx-DOH-SYD??
Paid or award ticket?

Edit:-
(just noted your other thread/post) Same trip?
Was the incoming flight too late?
[Interlining bags] BA to QR

If the trip was ex Europe the EC261 rules come into play (good luck with that!!)
For general information BA thread The 2018 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Mar 17, 2018 at 9:53 pm
Old Mar 17, 2018, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
At what airport?
Full route xxx-DOH-SYD??
Paid or award ticket?

Edit:-
(just noted your other thread/post) Same trip?
Was the incoming flight too late?
[Interlining bags] BA to QR

If the trip was ex Europe the EC261 rules come into play (good luck with that!!)
For general information BA thread The 2018 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004
It was ARN-DOH-SYD. Am BA Bronze and it was a paid ticket. Flight into DOH was on time, they said it was oversold
Old Mar 17, 2018, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It was ARN-DOH-SYD. Am BA Bronze and it was a paid ticket. Flight into DOH was on time, they said it was oversold
So I think the EC261 rules come into play, as you will be ~12hrs late into SYD.
Do not accept less than you are entitled to.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 10:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
So the EC261 rules come into play, as you will be ~12hrs late into SYD.
And that’s regardless of accepting the 800 usd?
Old Mar 17, 2018, 10:25 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, Star Alliance Gold (LH Sen)
I would take the offer, as it sounds not too bad.
Even you possibly would be entitled to compensation according EU, to get that compensation without an lawer would be very unlikely.
But that´s just my personal opinion....
Old Mar 17, 2018, 10:40 pm

I think we were on the same flight, I was just chatting to to the other guy affected by this on the bus to the hotel.

It's a pain of course, but the EU compensation would be €600, so $800 is there or thereabouts and not worth an argument. Just try and make the most of an unexpected day in Doha. You'll still arrive in Sydney the same day, just later. And you'll be on the A380 now so can make the most of that. You never know, you *might* even get the magic beep on boarding and end up in a low numbered seat...
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 10:44 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QR G, A3 G, EK G, IHG Amb, GHA Black, WOH LT something
take the offer. I am not sure whether you'll be able to get EU 261 600€ on top of that though, as 800 USD is a little more than 600€ and wouldn't they be able to say that compensation was already given.... I don't think i would honestly go after it as well. Personally I would take the offer I think its pretty decent.
Traveller999 and trooper like this.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 11:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Johnnieboy
I think we were on the same flight, I was just chatting to to the other guy affected by this on the bus to the hotel.

It's a pain of course, but the EU compensation would be €600, so $800 is there or thereabouts and not worth an argument. Just try and make the most of an unexpected day in Doha. You'll still arrive in Sydney the same day, just later. And you'll be on the A380 now so can make the most of that. You never know, you *might* even get the magic beep on boarding and end up in a low numbered seat...
Yep that’s true. Monday was going to be our beach day as it’s going to be raining for most of the week. Not pushing for EU comp, just tired and grumpy. Are you headed to Sydney Johnnieboy?
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 11:07 pm

Yep that’s true. Monday was going to be our beach day as it’s going to be raining for most of the week. Not pushing for EU comp, just tired and grumpy. Are you headed to Sydney Johnnieboy?

Looks like Sunday is now going to be your sunshine day...

I'm off to Adelaide. A similar length layover but without the 800 bucks
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 12:56 am

Programs: Yeah, well, don’t really care anymore
Bumped from J to Y on a 13-hour flight, and paid 800 bucks for the inconvenience? I'd tell them, as I have in the past, to stuff it and find me a J-seat all the way - no way I'd subject myself to a Y seat when I, or rather the company I work for, has paid for J.

I was once delayed for a good 6 hours on a flight out of DOH to a EU capital. Was not offered any compensation, and when I contacted a couple of the compensation chasing companies which sprung up following the introduction of EC261, none of them would take the case. Apparently QR is known in those circles for not giving a shyte about EC261, and efforts to retrieve compensation have been met with a wall of silence.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 1:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Sheikh Yerbooty
Bumped from J to Y on a 13-hour flight, and paid 800 bucks for the inconvenience? I'd tell them, as I have in the past, to stuff it and find me a J-seat all the way - no way I'd subject myself to a Y seat when I, or rather the company I work for, has paid for J.

I was once delayed for a good 6 hours on a flight out of DOH to a EU capital. Was not offered any compensation, and when I contacted a couple of the compensation chasing companies which sprung up following the introduction of EC261, none of them would take the case. Apparently QR is known in those circles for not giving a shyte about EC261, and efforts to retrieve compensation have been met with a wall of silence.
If it was a Qatar operated flight TO the EU, EC261 doesn't apply.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 1:27 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QR G, A3 G, EK G, IHG Amb, GHA Black, WOH LT something

The OP offer was to fly in J 12 hours later with the compensation.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 2:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Apparently QR is known in those circles for not giving a shyte about EC261, and efforts to retrieve compensation have been met with a wall of silence.
Never mind compensation, QR won't even acknowledge their duty of care obligations under EC261 and pay for overnight accommodation required as the result of a cancelled flight out of Dublin. Unbelievably unprofessional responses from the Customer Support people in Doha too. Claim lodged with the Irish Aviation regulator. Let's see how that pans out.......
Old Mar 22, 2018, 3:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Was there not something similar with Emirates and they were "ordered" to recognise EU compensation?
Traveller999 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.