Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Canberra - extended technical stop Sydney

Old Mar 15, 2018, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Hi - I am due to travel to Canberra in a fortnight and have noticed that the technical stop in Sydney en route has been extended from about 1h30m to 3h 40m with a knock on effect of landing in Canberra at 11.20 am rather than 8.35 am.

I cannot not find out why such an extended stopover - does anyone know why this change has taken place?

I was not expecting to take breath in Sydney - will I get a lounge there to at Sydney to at least freshen up in.

Final question - if anyone has done the Sydney technical stop - how does this work ?

thanks in anticipation to your advice....
Old Mar 15, 2018, 7:44 pm

I think (I could be wrong), given the long layover that you will need to clear immigration and retrieve your bags in SYD, clear quarantine and customs, then check them in again, go through immigration with a D stamp on the boarding pass (as in a domestic leg).
Old Mar 15, 2018, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by edy4eva
I think (I could be wrong), given the long layover that you will need to clear immigration and retrieve your bags in SYD, clear quarantine and customs, then check them in again, go through immigration with a D stamp on the boarding pass (as in a domestic leg).
I expect you will stay air side and then do immigration, customs & quarantine in CBR

QR do not have rights to operate domestic flights in Australia.

It is a full stop that has passengers leaving & joining the flight. It is not a technical stop (splash & dash).

Other threads on this fight
Anyone flown the new CBR flight yet?
Canberra flight depart at Sydney
Old Mar 16, 2018, 12:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, AAdvantage, Marriot & SPG Platinum, Hilton, AClub gold, ICH
Hi, we are currently in Australia having flown into Canberra last week. We just had a very short stop in Sydney - got off went tnrough security only and back round to gate, probably under an hour. You have to take all your handluggage with you as plane is quickly cleaned and if you leave anything it will be removed, so also make sure if you have bought any duty free etc enroute it is suitably bagged up to get it through security. The crew changes in Sydney. The flight time from Sydney to Canberra was only 20 minutes! Drinks only were available. Immigration was then in Canberra, fairly quick process and then waited for luggage before going through customs, probably 30 mins in all.

sorry don’t know about the extended stop but let me know if you would like any further information. Also below is a useful link to Aus Bus Traveller

https://www.ausbt.com.au/six-questio...anberra-flight
Old Mar 17, 2018, 2:43 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, SK Gold
The change seems to happen when the summer timetable starts on March 25th.

As the arrival has changed by over 2 hours I wonder if anyone has asked QR for a reroute? There are plenty of Qantas flights between SYD and CBR in between the arrival and onward departure of QR 906.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by r2d2
The change seems to happen when the summer timetable starts on March 25th.

As the arrival has changed by over 2 hours I wonder if anyone has asked QR for a reroute? There are plenty of Qantas flights between SYD and CBR in between the arrival and onward departure of QR 906.
Seems only for some months or it's not updated for every month.
I'm flying DOH-SYD-CBR on 10th of August and there is still a technical stop with 1hr 20mins. Searching the same flight in April shows me a technical stop with 2hrs 40mins.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: LH FTL, QR Gold, EK Silver, Etihad Silver
We will have that technical stop on Apr 22 and May 5 and it still shows them as 1h20min long.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 4:02 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
It might be something to do with daylight savings time, there was a recent thread where someone identified some errors in QR's calculation of flight durations which was linked to daylight savings.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 4:27 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by :D!
It might be something to do with daylight savings time, there was a recent thread where someone identified some errors in QR's calculation of flight durations which was linked to daylight savings.
Wouldn't it then be a 1 hr / 1.5 hr change?
Old Mar 18, 2018, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by :D!
In NSW - Vic Australia daylight saving ends Sunday 1 April (1 hour)
Old Aug 11, 2018, 8:48 pm

I'm doing Canberra-Sydney-Oslo in January. I live in Sydney so will have to go to Canberra the night prior.

What do you think my chances are if I call Qatar and ask them to cancel the Canberra-Sydney leg and let me check in at Sydney? I know this would be classified as a ticket reissue..
Old Aug 12, 2018, 3:06 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by everybodyreach
I'm doing Canberra-Sydney-Oslo in January. I live in Sydney so will have to go to Canberra the night prior.

What do you think my chances are if I call Qatar and ask them to cancel the Canberra-Sydney leg and let me check in at Sydney? I know this would be classified as a ticket reissue..
They would probably reprice it to whatever they charge flying ex-SYD, and likely some fees along with that as well.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by clubeurope
They would probably reprice it to whatever they charge flying ex-SYD, and likely some fees along with that as well.
Indeed. The chances of having that for free are exactly zero unless there is a timetable change or expected delay of over 2 hours. Moreover, if you just show up at SYD without having done a formal change, you'd find your ticket cancelled altogether.
clubeurope likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 1:08 pm

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, SK Gold
I'm having a HEL - DOH - CBR return itinerary in about 2 months. The stopover in SYD on the way to CBR was prolonged to several hours after I did the booking. As the change in the arrival time was over 2 hours QR agreed to change my outbound ticket to HEL - DOH - SYD. After a report here that for someone they also agreed to change the return flight to depart from SYD I asked for the same. They didn't allow that as there was no change on the inbound flight timings. They offered to do it for a charge which was over 2.000 euros
Old Oct 8, 2018, 10:26 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Manxqueenies
Hi - I am due to travel to Canberra in a fortnight and have noticed that the technical stop in Sydney en route has been extended from about 1h30m to 3h 40m with a knock on effect of landing in Canberra at 11.20 am rather than 8.35 am.

I cannot not find out why such an extended stopover - does anyone know why this change has taken place?

I was not expecting to take breath in Sydney - will I get a lounge there to at Sydney to at least freshen up in.

Final question - if anyone has done the Sydney technical stop - how does this work ?

thanks in anticipation to your advice....
How are you seeing the details of the SYD stop? EF only shows times for DOH-CBR, not the arrival into nor departure from SYD:

Interestingly, the week I am flying there is one day with an extra 50 minutes in SYD:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.