Wiki Posts
Search

impossible to upgrade via Q Credits

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2018, 12:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR gold, GA gold, KL sliver
impossible to upgrade via Q Credits

Hi, Flying DUB-DOH-Mel in J class , (C and D class ) Tried to upgrade to first DOH-MEL, told nil availability , yet 8 seats were available, advised to try at check in DUB. However did receive email offering me the chance to upgrade for $1560! Just checked in and told impossible to upgrade here in Ireland, can only be done in Qatar, despite their website saying its possible. Just curious whats the success rate trying to upgrade using points/credits? I have never been able , my Q credits expire in September, Gold with Qatar but seriously looking at moving to another airline as ground service is rubbish. Love their crew ( mostly! ) and the hard product is fantastic.

Safe flying
Old Mar 13, 2018, 12:47 am

Programs: QR Platinum, Star Alliance Gold (LH Sen)
Originally Posted by homme73
Hi, Flying DUB-DOH-Mel in J class , (C and D class ) Tried to upgrade to first DOH-MEL, told nil availability , yet 8 seats were available, advised to try at check in DUB. However did receive email offering me the chance to upgrade for $1560! Just checked in and told impossible to upgrade here in Ireland, can only be done in Qatar, despite their website saying its possible. Just curious whats the success rate trying to upgrade using points/credits? I have never been able , my Q credits expire in September, Gold with Qatar but seriously looking at moving to another airline as ground service is rubbish. Love their crew ( mostly! ) and the hard product is fantastic.

Safe flying
Welcome to the "Club" ;-)
I am Platinum and I do have the same problems...
synd and flyvirgin like this.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 12:53 am

Programs: FLYINGBLUE Gold QRPC Gold OMAN SINDBAD Gold
In order to upgrade with qcredits or qmiles in advance, you should first check that your flight segment has standard award availability. If you're lucky enough that it does, send an online request for upgrade (you can try to call, but Qatar Airways will probably deny you phone
​​​​service as per new "enhanced members experience").
Within 4 days you should get an answer.
Good luck..
Old Mar 13, 2018, 1:16 am

Programs: QR Platinum
Originally Posted by homme73
Just checked in and told impossible to upgrade here in Ireland, can only be done in Qatar:
usually this is correct. At the airport you can only upgrade the leg starting from this airport. Next leg you have to ask at the next airport (Doha)

But member spec119 reported he upgraded some days ago BKK-LHR 2 legs with miles in BKK already (this is how i understand his report).

if f is really nearly empty your best chance is to ask for upgade in the lounge in doha because now QR show only Q2 miles availability from doh-mel, which mean no upgrade possible for now. But good chance they open availability at airport later.

good luck and report your experience.

Last edited by Crisu69; Mar 13, 2018 at 1:23 am
Old Mar 13, 2018, 8:40 am

Programs: MARIOTT GOLD, QR GOLD,OW S. HH DIA, CHASE RESERVE
I was in the same situation .. early november & december for a January flight. .. must have gone back n forth with local office over the phone atleast 10 times .

in the end i just showed up early at the airport and spoke to supervisor who told me to wait for the cashier, and it was a smooth process. literally 5 minutes and i used my qcredits for the upgrade.

airport was JFK, and it was a Y to J upgrade with Qsuites
Old Mar 13, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: QRPC Plat; Marriott Plat; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by wickedkhalsa
I was in the same situation .. early november & december for a January flight. .. must have gone back n forth with local office over the phone atleast 10 times .

in the end i just showed up early at the airport and spoke to supervisor who told me to wait for the cashier, and it was a smooth process. literally 5 minutes and i used my qcredits for the upgrade.

airport was JFK, and it was a Y to J upgrade with Qsuites
Can you share your fare code for the ticket?
Old Mar 13, 2018, 9:27 am

Hi,
Please let us know on whether you managed to do the Qcredits upgrade in Doha. Will be good to know as a data point, specially if flight is showing as Q2 miles availability at the moment.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 11:38 pm

Programs: MARIOTT GOLD, QR GOLD,OW S. HH DIA, CHASE RESERVE
Originally Posted by salehir
Can you share your fare code for the ticket?
V fare ...
Old Mar 14, 2018, 12:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mister P.
Hi,
Please let us know on whether you managed to do the Qcredits upgrade in Doha. Will be good to know as a data point, specially if flight is showing as Q2 miles availability at the moment.
​​​​​​
At check in, all or almost unsold seats are open for ​​upgrade
Old Mar 14, 2018, 3:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, QRPC Silver
Originally Posted by Crisu69
usually this is correct. At the airport you can only upgrade the leg starting from this airport. Next leg you have to ask at the next airport (Doha)

But member spec119 reported he upgraded some days ago BKK-LHR 2 legs with miles in BKK already (this is how i understand his report).

if f is really nearly empty your best chance is to ask for upgade in the lounge in doha because now QR show only Q2 miles availability from doh-mel, which mean no upgrade possible for now. But good chance they open availability at airport later.

good luck and report your experience.
sorry but this was not the case maybe I wrote my post badly I think it's impossible to upgrade a connecting flight apologies if I've caused confusion
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, QRPC Silver
Originally Posted by spec119
sorry but this was not the case maybe I wrote my post badly I think it's impossible to upgrade a connecting flight apologies if I've caused confusion
when I disembarked from 831 I legged it to the QR customer services desk near C1 the lady I dealt with was not very friendly and said might be too early it was 12:30 for a 15:55 departure but eventually upgrades me with very little conversation with me I told her I was less than happy about the lounge restrictions she said she agreed lol
beepee likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Alfredbali
In order to upgrade with qcredits or qmiles in advance, you should first check that your flight segment has standard award availability. If you're lucky enough that it does, send an online request for upgrade (you can try to call, but Qatar Airways will probably deny you phone
​​​​service as per new "enhanced members experience").
Within 4 days you should get an answer.
Good luck..
I Indeed did try, firstly Al Mouran on way to Dub, then called privilege club before flight home one week out , this was before yet another rule change moved it all on line. Denied each time. 😑
Old Mar 14, 2018, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the feedback.

So arrived in Doha and asked politely on entering Al Mouran for upgrade, organised quickly, I was only pax in cabin, felt like a private jet. Awesome crew, totally spoiled!

Was advised I couldn't access Al Sawfa lounge, wonder who came up with this latest cutback.

Obviously it worked out for me in the end but I wish QR started to look after their PP pax a bit more. Clearly there was always lots seats available so why had to wait unlil 3 hours before flight I will leave to QR to explain.
Didn't help I kept getting incorrect information from ground team, I'f I'd been advised from onset to check just prior to last flight then I'd have saved valuable time running around in circles.

Anyway happy to report that it was successful in the end.

Cheers.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 11:03 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, Star Alliance Gold (LH Sen)
I just did try to find an upgrade (online of course, as this is the so great enhancement) for 3 (!!) different already booked business tickets - absolutely no availability - it´s disgusting!
Old Mar 16, 2018, 6:30 pm

Programs: QR P; HH D; IHG SpAmb
I've now tried several times (and on different browsers) but each time i try to apply for an upgrade using my qcredits nothing happens after i press the "Redeem for upgrade" button. That is briefly a "processing the request" box comes up but then nothing afterwards. I suppose that's not how it should be?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.