Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EU compensation LHR-SIN via DOH

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2018, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; ITA Executive; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
EU compensation LHR-SIN via DOH

Hi,

just landed in DOH from LHR and my onward flight to SIN is delayed by 4 hours.

Am I entitled to EU compensation at all?

Thanks!
Old Mar 2, 2018, 4:15 pm

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
In short, no.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 4:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Airprox
In short, no.
Not in my case. I queried this with QR recently following the ruling last year on connecting flights - had an LHR-DOH-SIN booking in Sept 2015 where the DOH-SIN segment was delayed by 8 hours as there was a plane fault.

They initially declined it as they said it was an aircraft swap, which I replied rebuffing as that’s not covered by EU261. They replied within the hour asking for bank details of where to transfer the €600
Old Mar 2, 2018, 4:26 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Please follow this thread as it moves into the Qatar Airways forum.

Prospero
Moderator: BA forum
Old Mar 2, 2018, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; ITA Executive; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Airprox
In short, no.
Really? Why is that?Just trying to understand.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by darthlemsip

Not in my case. I queried this with QR recently following the ruling last year on connecting flights - had an LHR-DOH-SIN booking in Sept 2015 where the DOH-SIN segment was delayed by 8 hours as there was a plane fault.

They initially declined it as they said it was an aircraft swap, which I replied rebuffing as that’s not covered by EU261. They replied within the hour asking for bank details of where to transfer the €600
Thanks a lot for your feedback.

They advised I have to send en email to [email protected]. Is this the same address you reached out to?

Thanks.
Old Mar 2, 2018, 11:58 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
At the moment you’re not entitled to anything because it’s the arrival time that counts. QR might well make sufficient time en route, particularly if the four hours contracts a little. If you re-post on arrival at SIN more precise advice might be available
msm2000uk likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 1:33 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
At the moment you’re not entitled to anything because it’s the arrival time that counts. QR might well make sufficient time en route, particularly if the four hours contracts a little. If you re-post on arrival at SIN more precise advice might be available
And as luck would have it, QR946 is scheduled to land with a 3h55m delay.

Now I'd imagine the OP will get his extra 5mins during taxiing and parking up, but we'll soon find out!

M
Old Mar 3, 2018, 2:37 am

My understanding is that EU261 applies if there is a delay on the flight out of EU (including misconnects caused by small delays), but not if it's only the connecting flight ex-DOH which is delayed. But YMMV.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 2:44 am

Programs: BA, JAL
This is often very much down to interpretation of the relevant conditions.
There are examples in the past where people have claimed for the first part of a married segment which has not affected their ability to make a later connection (e.g. they were delayed four hours and the next flight was in 12 hours time), and there have been examples where the first flight affected the second and caused a misconnect, resulting in a greater than 4 hour delay. Similarly, the example above where the later flight was delayed is included because it had been part of the original flight (and was just one segment). A lot of it from what I've read online is about persistence in claiming it seems. I have never been delayed enough in over 150 flights. I must be very lucky, my usual just an hour and a half delay is not enough.

Last edited by RollAnotherFatOne; Mar 3, 2018 at 2:45 am Reason: clarify meaning
Old Mar 3, 2018, 8:04 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by 81romeo
Really? Why is that?Just trying to understand.
Because EU261 applies to all flights departing the European Union, and all flights arriving in the European Union and operated by an EU airline. A flight from DOH to SIN operated by Qatar would subsequently not fall within the scope of the regulation.

There has been a case recently involving a LHR-DXB-XXX route operated by Emirates in which a UK court held that Emirates had to pay compensation. The facts were however different from your case: The first flight was slightly delayed (below the threshold required to receive compensation) but the passenger missed the onwards connection which pushed the arrival time beyond the threshold. It was held that EK had to pay compensation.
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 8:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by 81romeo
Thanks a lot for your feedback.

They advised I have to send en email to [email protected]. Is this the same address you reached out to?

Thanks.
I’ll dig the emails out when I get into the office on Monday
Old Mar 4, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Virgin Flying Club Red; IHG Spire
I'd suggest that if you fight, you've got a pretty decent chance of compensation...

Last Spring, my LHR-DOH flight was on time but my DOH-XXX flight was delayed over three hours. My initial EU 261 claim was denied. This was all booked on one ticket.

However, in October, I followed up with this:

I refer to the judgement by the Court of Appeal on 11 October 2017 in the cases of Gahan v Emirates and Buckley v Emirates.

The case stated: "The Court of Appeal agreed with the Court of Justice of the European Union view that liability for compensation for delay depends on the delay in arriving at the 'final destination'. Where more than one flight is taken to reach the final destination, the flights are taken together for the purpose of assessing whether there has been a 3 hour or more delay."
Within a couple of days, Qatar were in touch to ask for bank details. We were over three but under 4 hours delayed so it was €300 each.

Worth pursuing!
Traveller999 and mpkz like this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 12:20 am
Suspended

I remember there being a thread here about a year ago with a lot of armchair lawyers claiming that QR shouldn't be liable in case of a delay at DOH

Wonder where those guys are now...
Old Mar 5, 2018, 4:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Makes sense. We touched down 4h 5m late.

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.