Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Award seats all showing 2X normal miles for all date up to 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2018, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

I wish I had known how hard it was to find regular award seat before crediting the miles to PC. Every date is showing double the required points for DOH - ORD, is this normal?
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by dilvala
I wish I had known how hard it was to find regular award seat before crediting the miles to PC. Every date is showing double the required points for DOH - ORD, is this normal?
Unfortunately, it seems to be. I'm in the same position. Sitting with a half-million QRPC miles and no place to spend them.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:28 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, Star Alliance Gold (LH Sen)
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Unfortunately, it seems to be. I'm in the same position. Sitting with a half-million QRPC miles and no place to spend them.
And it seems to be on almost all routes...
another „nice“ enhancement? It’s really getting nasty....
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:42 pm

Programs: Some
There was a period in December when there was a lot of QR reward availability, even out of LHR/SYD, but since then a lot of it seems to have been removed - there was a small release of a few seats about a week ago (as I managed to book a couple of flights using it), but very little else for all of Jan/Feb so far. Not clear if this is a policy change or QR are just being lazy in releasing availability...
Old Feb 22, 2018, 1:13 am

Programs: QR Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Plat
You just need to play around your routes a little bit and of course availability in high traffic routes will be low.

Back in Oct 17, I tried searching for routes from KL to LHR or CDG in March 18 and most of them are 2x the miles but there are some flights that is 1x but none were on the QSuites. I played around other South East Asia countries and found that surprisingly there were plenty of 1x miles from BKK to CDG (but not LHR) and there were even 1x miles on the QSuites B777.

I happily redeemed Business on A380 from BKK to Doha and QSuites B777 from Doha to CDG for 75,000 miles and the return A380 Business from CDG to Doha and A380 First Class from Doha to BKK for also 75,000 miles. I realized if you pick your second leg in first class, it'll still show as 75,000 miles, thought it was a systems error but it proved true even after a few months.

Happy hunting
Old Feb 22, 2018, 2:13 am

Programs: QR Platinum
Originally Posted by Dev1l
You just need to play around your routes a little bit and of course availability in high traffic routes will be low.
Correct. I have no problem with my upgrades up to now and flexibility is also the key

Below you can see an example dummy booking FRA-BKK an tere is a lot of upgrade or award availability in economy/business without Q2:

Old Feb 22, 2018, 2:18 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
To be honest, I agree the number of x2 miles has become massively annoying, and also seems like false advertising by QR. If people knew how hard it was to use the rewards at the originally published redemption rates, they probably would forgo registering for QR’s Privilege Club.
btw, I am no rookie at redemption awards!
synd and Traveller999 like this.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 2:24 am

Programs: QR Platinum
Originally Posted by dilvala
If you are interested in an econmy award i see, there is nearly every day award availability.

Even for business upgrade/award i found some availability after some search without Q2. Below you find 2 example for your routing

Old Feb 22, 2018, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think that it's that simple. Take DOH/BOS, a route I travel often and would love to have some redemptions for. Just looked at 743 for February 27, five days from now. EF shows J9 C9 D9 I9, but there's no award availability. Same with February 28th.

Let's look at the other direction. February 28, BOS-DOH, six days from now, QR 744. J9 C9 D9 I9 R9, and 15 J seats unassigned on the seat map. (Yes, I know that it's not a reliable way to gauge availability.) No availability.
synd and Traveller999 like this.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 3:10 am

Programs: QRPC Plat; Marriott Plat; Hilton Gold
Just to make it clear that award availability will vary from person to person based on their respective status with QR.Crisu69 seems to be a platinum member hence has a lot more award availability open whereas members who do not have a higher status will unfortunately not see much standard availability.

That is how I seem to gauge the PC programme so far which is quite a shame.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 3:58 am

Programs: QR Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Plat
Good point, for gold and platinum members, it does state in the website that there are better availability for award seat redemptions
Old Feb 22, 2018, 4:41 am

Programs: QR Platinum, Star Alliance Gold (LH Sen)
Good point, for gold and platinum members, it does state in the website that there are better availability for award seat redemptions
the website does state that but it is not quantified ;-)
i tried to upgrade a flight from BKK to DOH (QR833) early April from business to first. Got the answer nothing is available even no seat in first is sold up to date. Checking the availability of redemption seats is showing availability with using 2x Miles. Great isn’t it? Especially knowing that many times the first from BKK to DOH is filled with op-ups at the end ...
by the way, I am platinum member and I feel very disappointed about the way QR is going
synd likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I don't think that it's that simple. Take DOH/BOS, a route I travel often and would love to have some redemptions for. Just looked at 743 for February 27, five days from now. EF shows J9 C9 D9 I9, but there's no award availability. Same with February 28th.

Let's look at the other direction. February 28, BOS-DOH, six days from now, QR 744. J9 C9 D9 I9 R9, and 15 J seats unassigned on the seat map. (Yes, I know that it's not a reliable way to gauge availability.) No availability.
Originally Posted by salehir
Just to make it clear that award availability will vary from person to person based on their respective status with QR.
Just for reference, I'm what I refer to as a higher value PLT, -- that is, I qualify for two years at a time based on the number of QPoints I accumulate during each year. That should help, at least in theory; but I see no evidence of that.

I already have a half dozen roundtrips booked on QR for 2018 between SEAsia and the U.S. The ones that were booked during the sale, and thus earning double miles, I'll leave with QRPC. All others I'm now crediting to AAdvantage. I can use those miles for CX F redemptions between the U.S. and SEAsia. On the surface seems counter-intuitive, but it's much easier to get CX F seats between BOS/JFK/ORD and HKG than it is to get QR J seats, especially between DOH and BKK in either direction. (And, yes, I've tried the other Thailand destinations, USM, UTP, CNX; and availability is no better.) Also tried HAN, same result.

Overall, I think that AAB does a great job, and has created a great airline. However, in this particular aspect, it just doesn't make it.
synd, SENNINHA and Traveller999 like this.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 7:55 am

Programs: QR Gold, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, GHA Titanium, Taj Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
I've booked quite a few QR awards in J/F in the past and over the last 1-1.5 years it's become progressively harder to find availability at business saver level. For a SIN-NYC return trip in Jun '17 I had to book the award in Oct '16, for a return trip from SIN to Europe in J/F (2 pax) I booked in Feb '17 for September '17 and for another upcoming SIN-NYC trip in Jun '18 I had to book in Nov '17. In my experience booking 365/333 days out doesn't help - QR doesn't seem to follow the trend of opening up award space as soon as revenue tickets become available. In Nov '17 to be honest they did have quite a dates with availability in J (Qsuites) from SIN-JFK return but on Dec 1 it all disappeared. While award availability has reduced, the number of Qmiles and Qpoints promos QR has been running has been increasing. I rather have fewer miles and be able to use them than get a ton of Qmiles and search for hours trying to find availability that may not even be there.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 5:38 am

Programs: BA BD SA
It seems the severe drought in CPT extends to award seats on QR - scarce as hen's teeth on an inbound and totally impossible to find them for an outbound.

I have miles expiring soon and can't find any awards even at distant dates.
Traveller999 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.