Accident in the BKK Lounge

Old Feb 14, 2018, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Accident in the BKK Lounge

Was in the new lounge yesterday evening and there had been a nasty accident in the ladies toilet /shower area. Apparently a shower door had “shattered” and a lady had received nasty cuts to her arms. Paramedics were assisting and eventually took the lady away. Sincerely hope she was ok. All the showers were closed presumably for safety checks.
On a brighter note thought the lounge was excellent. Decor, food and service were all very good. Night and day when compared to the old Thai J lounge. Biggest disappointment they had no tomato juice haha, still I was surprised.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: BA Gold
Re: Accident in new lounge

I was there. I was getting ready to shower in the first shower and my partner was showering in the second one. I heard one almighty bang ( thought it was a bomb - it was that loud). This was accompanied by an almighty scream from my partner. The door to her shower had completely shattered and showered her with glass shards. With so much glass involved the floor was inches deep in glass as were her clothes and belongings. Of course, the door was locked which we managed to get open with a coin. However, the glass was so deep that we could not push the door. It took some time to clear the door and I was presented with something you might have seen in Psycho. Blood was streaming down from neck to toes. Fortunately not her head or arteries. Unable to move her because the glass was everywhere. Whole incident was VERY scary as it was difficult to get in to assess the situation and unable to see at this stage how serious things were. Paramedics took some time to get on scene and when we had cleared enough glass from the floor and put towels down to walk on I moved her to the first shower (still naked) to calm her and assess the situation. Things always look worse where blood is involved and although there were dozens of small cuts, there were only a few that needed serious stitching. When paramedics/nurses arrived they were excellent and wheelchaired her down to the med centre for treatment. This all could have turned out much worse if the glass had hit somewhere more vital. We are now both back in the UK and have attended the local hospital where she is undergoing treatment. She is heavily traumatised by the event but there should not be much physical scarring. We were told that the showers would be closed for safety checks (and presumably to mop up all the glass and blood)
Old Feb 14, 2018, 11:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, AAdvantage, Marriot & SPG Platinum, Hilton, AClub gold, ICH
Re accident in lounge

Very sorry to hear Polemi, I do hope your partner is recovering, I really feel for her, it must have been awful for you both
Old Feb 14, 2018, 11:12 am
Suspended

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by polemi
Re: Accident in new lounge

I was there. I was getting ready to shower in the first shower and my partner was showering in the second one. I heard one almighty bang ( thought it was a bomb - it was that loud). This was accompanied by an almighty scream from my partner. The door to her shower had completely shattered and showered her with glass shards. With so much glass involved the floor was inches deep in glass as were her clothes and belongings. Of course, the door was locked which we managed to get open with a coin. However, the glass was so deep that we could not push the door. It took some time to clear the door and I was presented with something you might have seen in Psycho. Blood was streaming down from neck to toes. Fortunately not her head or arteries. Unable to move her because the glass was everywhere. Whole incident was VERY scary as it was difficult to get in to assess the situation and unable to see at this stage how serious things were. Paramedics took some time to get on scene and when we had cleared enough glass from the floor and put towels down to walk on I moved her to the first shower (still naked) to calm her and assess the situation. Things always look worse where blood is involved and although there were dozens of small cuts, there were only a few that needed serious stitching. When paramedics/nurses arrived they were excellent and wheelchaired her down to the med centre for treatment. This all could have turned out much worse if the glass had hit somewhere more vital. We are now both back in the UK and have attended the local hospital where she is undergoing treatment. She is heavily traumatised by the event but there should not be much physical scarring. We were told that the showers would be closed for safety checks (and presumably to mop up all the glass and blood)
Horrible, please G-d she will be ok.
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
So wait, the shower glass broke without her falling against it? "Normaly" it should be some kind of safety glass, like in cars, so when it ever shatters, its only small and harmless little Pieces.
Thank you for posting this follow up.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 2:52 pm

Programs: BA Blue Qmiles Burgundy
Originally Posted by nilsfr69
So wait, the shower glass broke without her falling against it? "Normaly" it should be some kind of safety glass, like in cars, so when it ever shatters, its only small and harmless little Pieces.
Thank you for posting this follow up.
This is Thailand. What gets specified and what actually gets installed often bear little relation. The contractor who did the fit out will almost certainly be 'connected' to have gained the work, so Qatar will have to tread very lightly on this issue. Hope the victim fully gets over her nightmare experience, anyway.
synd, mpkz and Traveller999 like this.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 3:00 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
To improve visibility of this appalling incident, and perhaps to ensure QR resolve this matter in a suitable manner, I have created this stand-alone thread.

M
Old Feb 14, 2018, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by nilsfr69
It probably wasn't safety glass. There are two types of safety glass.

Laminated glass (used in the windshields of cars) is a three layer sandwich of two pieces of glass with a layer of PVB plastic or similar between them. When it shatters, the pieces do not fall off, but rather stay attached to the PVB, thus totally eliminating the chance for a sea of glass shards, as happened here.

Tempered glass is glass which has been treated to a) make it stronger, reducing the chance that it will shatter, and b) change its internal physical characteristics so that when it does shatter, it will shatter into small, primarily rounded, pieces without sharp edges.

Although it may have been spec'd for safety glass, TIT, as TonyRB reminded us.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 9:15 pm

Programs: HGP Globalist, SPG P100, Hilton Dia
Hope she is having a swift recovery!
My friend who stayed at the St Regis Bangkok had a similar accident with the shower glass/door.... Thai standard can be quite worrying....
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 12:23 am
Suspended

Programs: EY Guest Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, Le Club Accor Silver, AAdvantage Gold
People talk about 'cheap' luxury in Thailand, but at what expense does this come at? We shall never know.
quinzinho likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 5:32 am

Programs: QR-G/OWS, QF-G, VA-G, NZ-S
Hi polemi,
Really sorry to hear of this. Gosh, this could have been so much worse from what you describe.. Please receive my sincere wishes for a speedy and full recovery for your partner and yourself from this trauma. I expect several of the numerous QR lounge staff are upset, too. It sounds just so awful. I was in the QR BKK lounge on Monday morning. I recall thinking how much better it would be to shower there in BKK than in the sauna stalls of Al Mourjan. A saddening wake=up call to management. We appreciate the safety focus of QR in the air and their product and anticipate it on the ground as well. Specifications are just that. They need to be followed and checked that they are....
Old Feb 15, 2018, 5:45 am

Programs: FB PFL, TK Gold, PC Platinum
Uuufff.. Sounds terrible, my best wishes for a prompt recovery of your partner polemi.. I was there on Sunday evening and decided to take a shower. No accident, but the shower knob came off and fell to the floor. Perhaps there has been no proper quality-safety control.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 6:33 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Wow that’s terrible, wishing a speedy recovery. Please update us should QR offer you any compensation or you decide to take legal action.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 7:10 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Wishing you and your partner a swift recovery polemi.

As per Flame3601, please let us know how QR have looked after you (if indeed they have).

Safe travels,

QR Mod Team
Old Feb 15, 2018, 12:40 pm

We had this happen at home with a houseguest. The plastic rollers it was hanging from were defective (there was a recall but we did not know about that) and the door fell and shattered. Luckily she only had one cut.

I think tempered glass is pretty standard for shower installations the world over.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.