As of 05-02-2023,
Opening Hours : 1530-0740.
Print Wikipost

Bangkok (BKK) Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2018, 4:34 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Traveller999
QR did choose the words "enhanced member experience", so the place to discuss should be here (QR forum) in my opinion, but I agree, probably better in the related thread "...introducing enhanced member experience in the QR forum...
I've got no issues with the "enhanced member experience" issue, but there are many who frequent only the QR Forum and will be confused by the positive term 'enhancements' and its special FT meaning!

As it happens, while I don't think the cuts will be as drastic as synd envisages, I do agree with the sentiment; namely that (further) cuts to service will be introduced in the near future.

M
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by synd
my point exactly, QR too cheap to open their own lounge for their S/H flights. I guess it must be cheaper for them to send people to the TG lounge than CX / JAL or their own... Makes sense as both of those are so much better than TG.

Yes I appreciate the sentiment, but it is the only QR operated flight in the middle of a 12 hour period, so would probably require an extra full shift of staff to open then. In my experience that flight is also lightly loaded, particularly with people joining at BKK. Plus a J return BKK-HAN is about a quarter of the price of any F class s/h return from DOH. So I doubt the decision not to open for the handful of qualifying passengers on that particular flight has anything to do with other current changes. There may well be different issues to beat them with at the moment, but in this case it just doesn't stack up at that time of day and at the fares they can charge on that route when there are other lounge options available
Old Mar 25, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: QR Platinum
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
I do agree with the sentiment; namely that (further) cuts to service will be introduced in the near future.
I understand that QR is under pressure because of the blockade but if the only solution they think about to save money is cutting services here and there the customers will switch to other airlines where they get more service for your money at comparable ticket price.

For example from my home airport there is also a daily Emirates service with 777. At the moment QR is still my favorite for the total package but at some point the line is crossed for me too and i could easy switch to Emirates for ALL my flight plans right now already and if there, its not easy for QR to get this customers back later.
QR would be very wise to consider this but i doubt it.

I think they are in a vicioius circle at the moment:

Cutting services > lose customer > cutting more services > loosing more customer.....
synd, Abyssin and Traveller999 like this.

Last edited by Crisu69; Mar 25, 2018 at 10:55 am
Old Mar 25, 2018, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Crisu69
I understand that QR is under pressure because of the blockade but if the only solution they think about to save money is cutting services here and there the customers will switch to other airlines where they get more service for your money at comparable ticket price.

For example from my home airport there is also a daily Emirates service with 777. At the moment QR is still my favorite for the total package but at some point the line is crossed for me too and i could easy switch to Emirates for ALL my flight plans right now already and if there, its not easy for QR to get this customers back later.
QR would be very wise to consider this but i doubt it.

I think they are in a vicioius circle at the moment:

Cutting services > lose customer > cutting more services > loosing more customer.....
I agree it's a vicious cycle, but it is being followed by all of the ME3, so perhaps the view is strength (or weakness) in numbers.

EY have made significant cut-backs to their service (no chauffeur cars for example, EK have started charging for services which were previously free (J seat selection for example), and QR perhaps are trying to understand the market - and understand what customers value.

M
Old Mar 25, 2018, 1:24 pm

EK have started charging for services which were previously free (J seat selection for example)
???. No seat charging in J as far as I'm aware.

https://www.emirates.com/english/boo...eat-selection/
Old Mar 25, 2018, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ft101
???. No seat charging in J as far as I'm aware.

https://www.emirates.com/english/boo...eat-selection/
Apologies, I stand corrected...I thought they had started charging.

Anyway, let's try and get back on topic for this thread - which is about the new Lounge at BKK.

M
Old Mar 26, 2018, 12:51 am

Programs: BA Gold
Visited Saturday - all style and little substance in my view much like ‘parent’ AM lounge in DOH. Kudos for the design and some of the furnishing is the best I can offer. Weird staff ‘I will enter the password’ to WiFi continues.

Separate dining area looks like it should be a la Carte but basically (at breakfast at least) was help yourself and take to the dining area? Food OK ish.

Not a patch on Cathay J lounge and wouldn’t bother personally in future.
synd likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 2:01 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by DocS
Not a patch on Cathay J lounge and wouldn’t bother personally in future.
I think I'll still go to the WY lounge when at BKK, but may go to the QR lounge for a short while for a couple of glasses of champagne first (only Chandon in WY). BTW (and apologies for slight off-topic), I flew WY Bus class MCT-KUL on a 332 a couple of days ago, and thought the hard/soft product was superior to the QR 330 product. Pity about the FF scheme and the New lounge at MCT (no alcohol licence yet).
synd and Traveller999 like this.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Grace B
I think I'll still go to the WY lounge when at BKK, but may go to the QR lounge for a short while for a couple of glasses of champagne first (only Chandon in WY). BTW (and apologies for slight off-topic), I flew WY Bus class MCT-KUL on a 332 a couple of days ago, and thought the hard/soft product was superior to the QR 330 product. Pity about the FF scheme and the New lounge at MCT (no alcohol licence yet).
Total support for your comments on Oman's business-class. It really is lovely. Just a pity about their frequent flyer alliances..
Old Mar 26, 2018, 10:37 pm

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
I've got no issues with the "enhanced member experience" issue, but there are many who frequent only the QR Forum and will be confused by the positive term 'enhancements' and its special FT meaning!

As it happens, while I don't think the cuts will be as drastic as synd envisages, I do agree with the sentiment; namely that (further) cuts to service will be introduced in the near future.

M
You give QR too much credit. The language of ‘enhancements’ is NOT unique to Qatar Airways, nor the airline industry.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 1:12 am

Originally Posted by DocS
Not a patch on Cathay J lounge and wouldn’t bother personally in future
Agree entirely. The Cathay lounge is relaxing, airy and comfortable.

The QR lounge feels quite the opposite
- staff lurking throughout the place watching your every move
- ridiculous rules such as the dress code and not being able to take any food at all out of the dining area into the rest of the lounge
- the lounge feeling cramped because the effect of the low ceiling is magnified by the awnings they have hung over the seating area.

I was there last week, and although the food selection was good, I didn't feel comfortable especially after watching a scene where a man was screaming at the staff about the dress code and how much he had paid for his ticket ...

I made my excuses and left for a bit of peace and quiet in the CX lounge.
synd, NoY and Traveller999 like this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 9:16 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by railways
Agree entirely. The Cathay lounge is relaxing, airy and comfortable.

The QR lounge feels quite the opposite
- ridiculous rules such as the dress code and not being able to take any food at all out of the dining area into the rest of the lounge
- the lounge feeling cramped because the effect of the low ceiling is magnified by the awnings they have hung over the seating area.

I was there last week, and although the food selection was good, I didn't feel comfortable especially after watching a scene where a man was screaming at the staff about the dress code and how much he had paid for his ticket ...

I made my excuses and left for a bit of peace and quiet in the CX lounge.
Yes, just what is QR’s obsession with guests eating food only in the “dining area”?? Same as DOH. Ridiculous
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
There's only one airport which I frequent where I might be caught wearing shorts, and that's BKK. The city is just too hot and humid sometimes for big boy pants. While I love QR in the air, more and more I'm disappointed with it on the ground.
synd, GalaxyChris and Traveller999 like this.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 12:46 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by railways
Agree entirely. The QR lounge feels quite the opposite
This is exactly what I thought after leaving the lounge. I wonder if it isn't the Thai staff putting their own interpretation on instructions from Doha? Surely no sensible organisation could set out to treat their premium customers in such a way?
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 1:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Etihad Gold, Hilton Silver
Having been to EK F lounge and QR AS - I can comfortably say that the QR LHR lounge has the highest quality of food of any lounge I have ever been too.
The BKK lounge on the other hand...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.