Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Non - existent availability on Qatar with Avios/miles/etc

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2018, 4:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage ExP 1MM, Smiles/GOL Diamond, TudoAzul/AZUL Diamond, HHonors Gold, Accor Platinum

Forgive me if this has been discussed before, but has Qatar dramatically decreased its availability (with Avios/miles/etc) across OW partners?
I have been searching flights on previously (almost always) available routes, e.g., CDG - DOH in F, or Europe-Asia in business connecting in Doha and I have not found anything in Sept/Oct. I've tried several origin points: CPH, ARN, ZRH, MAD, CDG, BCN, AMS, BRU to several destinations TYO, PVG, PEK, ICN, HKG, etc.
Any clues to what is going on? Appreciate the input.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by broland
Forgive me if this has been discussed before, but has Qatar dramatically decreased its availability (with Avios/miles/etc) across OW partners?
I have been searching flights on previously (almost always) available routes, e.g., CDG - DOH in F, or Europe-Asia in business connecting in Doha and I have not found anything in Sept/Oct. I've tried several origin points: CPH, ARN, ZRH, MAD, CDG, BCN, AMS, BRU to several destinations TYO, PVG, PEK, ICN, HKG, etc.
Any clues to what is going on? Appreciate the input.
Yes, it's been/being discussed in another thread, but I can't recall which one.

My theory is that so many seats for 2018 went in the recent sale that there are precious few left for mileage redemptions.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage ExP 1MM, Smiles/GOL Diamond, TudoAzul/AZUL Diamond, HHonors Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Yes, it's been/being discussed in another thread, but I can't recall which one.

My theory is that so many seats for 2018 went in the recent sale that there are precious few left for mileage redemptions.
I thought about that, but CDG - DOH in F was never on sale, for example. Nor destinations such as Tokyo, Shanghai or Beijing ...
Old Feb 2, 2018, 8:01 pm

I probably wasted 8 hours of my life before getting something. Trick is to find the individual legs. First I found SIN-DOH, then tried pretty much every European airport until I found DOH-GVA. It's pretty much impossible to find something when you try to SIN-GVA. Good luck, I know I wasted a load of time looking too. BKK and HKG were the only ones I could find that had semi decent availability. EU end, GVA/BRU/AMS were all easy.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 1:52 am

Programs: Some
I also don’t think it is particularly sale-related for many destinations - the sale deals out of LHR were non-existent and there’s been no award availability out of LHR released for about a month (vs. when I was looking back in November and there was quite a bit). QR often seems to release award availability all at once.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 4:03 am
Suspended

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
I am sure its an internal change in QR , likely a personnel change, and they have stopped releasing award seats period. The sale was very weak and imho did not do so well at all.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ashkale
The sale was very weak and imho did not do so well at all.
Depends on the route. For example, CMB-PHL was incredibly cheap in J. I bought three roundtrips for 2018 and wish only that I had more of my travel schedule nailed down so I could have bought more at that price.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 6:47 am

Someone talk to AAB about this!
Old Feb 3, 2018, 6:59 pm
Suspended

Depends on the route. For example, CMB-PHL was incredibly cheap in J. I bought three roundtrips for 2018 and wish only that I had more of my travel schedule nailed down so I could have bought more at that price.
Still at US$1.2k,not exactly stellar.I have regularly bought companion fares to US from CMB and to TYO from KTM for under 1k per pax.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Still at US$1.2k,not exactly stellar.I have regularly bought companion fares to US from CMB and to TYO from KTM for under 1k per pax.
Interesting. Maybe it's the new route discount. I commute between BKK and BOS, and this is a great fare for me. I thought that it was only for the sale. OTOH, I had never checked PHL before, although I frequently fly ex-CMB as even with positioning costs, it's still much less than ex-BKK. I just tried a random week in February (~$1,750) and a random week in July (~$1,450) on the CMB/PHL route. I'm not seeing anything even close to $1,000, let alone less. Do you recall any specific dates?

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Feb 3, 2018 at 11:30 pm
Old Feb 4, 2018, 5:06 am
Suspended

Interesting. Maybe it's the new route discount. I commute between BKK and BOS, and this is a great fare for me. I thought that it was only for the sale. OTOH, I had never checked PHL before, although I frequently fly ex-CMB as even with positioning costs, it's still much less than ex-BKK. I just tried a random week in February (~$1,750) and a random week in July (~$1,450) on the CMB/PHL route. I'm not seeing anything even close to $1,000, let alone less. Do you recall any specific dates?
Atleast twice a year before the blockade. CMB as such has dried out as a positioning but QR pricing last few months is simply not competitive for declining services. You should look at JL fares from BKK to US, and even CMB lately.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Atleast twice a year before the blockade. CMB as such has dried out as a positioning but QR pricing last few months is simply not competitive for declining services. You should look at JL fares from BKK to US, and even CMB lately.
I'm obviously missing something. The JL J fares ex-BKK I'm finding to the U.S. are close to or more than double the QR J fares ex-CMB. We can have a separate conversation about whether QR's service is declining.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 5:20 am

I searched today for QR Award availability from MEL or SYD to DOH, CDG and LHR but there is nothing at all, not even in Economy for the first 2 weeks of Jan 2019.

Something has changed dramatically for the worse as now I cant find a single Award flight using a BA search.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.