FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qatar Airways | Privilege Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club-644/)
-   -   QR Award availability (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club/1891395-qr-award-availability.html)

pweekes Jan 30, 2018 7:54 pm

QR Award availability

In 2016, I booked a J Class, One World RTW ticket through QF for 280k points. The itinerary included four QR flights and I thoroughly enjoyed all of them to the point that QR is now my preferred airline. At the time, it seemed like there was reasonable availability for the flights I was after. I am currently researching for another RTW trip in J and it seems that a lot of QR award availability has dried up. SYD - DOH is virtually non-existent as is anything to/ from JFK to DOH. Is there any reason why availability seems to have diminished and on some routes completely gone?

I would really like to experience QR again but it looks like it may prove too difficult in some circumstances. I am looking at several routes, SYD - DOH, DOH to CDG, JFK, MXP or reverse. I am currently searching the QF and BA sites for seats.

Dr. HFH Jan 30, 2018 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by pweekes (Post 29360188)
Is there any reason why availability seems to have diminished and on some routes completely gone?

IMO, a lot of space was eaten up in the last sale. If we assume that award space comes out of the least expensive ticket categories, then it's easy to see why you, like me, are having so much difficulty finding award space. Probably makes sense for QR, at least up to a point. They'd undoubtedly sell the seats for cheap cash than have them go as awards. So the trick, it seems to me, is to grab award space for 2019 before the increasingly predictable January sale.

iluvdoco Jan 30, 2018 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH (Post 29360499)
IMO, a lot of space was eaten up in the last sale. If we assume that award space comes out of the least expensive ticket categories, then it's easy to see why you, like me, are having so much difficulty finding award space. Probably makes sense for QR, at least up to a point. They'd undoubtedly sell the seats for cheap cash than have them go as awards. So the trick, it seems to me, is to grab award space for 2019 before the increasingly predictable January sale.

I remember finding 4 x J seats on long haul routes was common place, even post sales. Now I'm lucky if I can find one...

Sorte Jan 31, 2018 12:33 am

I think JFK and CDG Qsuite flights have zero award seats to begin with at the moment

pweekes Jan 31, 2018 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH (Post 29360499)

Thanks for the input. It's frustrating but booking award seats has always required some flexibility.

Are there some popular routes that have more availability than others? I will still be able to complete a RTW fare with other One World airlines but I would love to include QR in the itinerary. Anything around Europe and Asia would have me interested.

EK Captive Mar 1, 2018 10:46 pm

It does appear that QR has pulled all or nearly all partner award availability. I have been checking multiple routes on BA.com across multiple dates in September and October (very painful). I have found exactly ZERO availability in all classes. I have also checked Qantas booking engine with same results - zero QR flights. QR flights did not show up once. I also called AA to check if it's just a BA/Qantas glitch - the agent checked 2 months across several routes - no QR flights showed up at all.

Is QR pulling out of OneWorld perhaps? Or just not playing by the rules?

Merlinrnr Mar 1, 2018 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by EK Captive (Post 29475603)
It does appear that QR has pulled all or nearly all partner award availability. I have been checking multiple routes on BA.com across multiple dates in September and October (very painful). I have found exactly ZERO availability in all classes. I have also checked Qantas booking engine with same results - zero QR flights. QR flights did not show up once. I also called AA to check if it's just a BA/Qantas glitch - the agent checked 2 months across several routes - no QR flights showed up at all.

Is QR pulling out of OneWorld perhaps? Or just not playing by the rules?

I’m finding the same issue with nothing available on routes that used to have 4 J seats a few years ago. I doubt they’re pulling out of OneWorld since they’re invested in BA, IB, and CX. Plus they want their new investment Air Italy to join OneWorld as well. Hope they start opening up some award seats soon!

pweekes Mar 5, 2018 6:50 pm

Availability seems to be getting more scarce as time goes on. Not sure what QR's obligations are in regards to making award seats available but putting out next to nothing makes it seem like they're shirking their responsibility.

Top of climb Mar 5, 2018 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by EK Captive (Post 29475603)
It does appear that QR has pulled all or nearly all partner award availability.

It's nothing to do with partner availability - there is also no award availability to its own QMiles members except at the 2x price.

Alfredbali Mar 5, 2018 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by pweekes (Post 29490056)
Availability seems to be getting more scarce as time goes on. Not sure what QR's obligations are in regards to making award seats available but putting out next to nothing makes it seem like they're shirking their responsibility.

Yes i noticed that also, standard award availability has become very poor in J or F cabins between Europe and Asia, hopefully situation will change soon

spec119 Mar 6, 2018 12:07 am

I was due to travel on QR831/15 yesterday but I changed the date to 12th of course my multiple requests for redemption upgrade received the standard.. We have checked ...

According to ef there were 6 empty seats in J and 6 in F on the 831

And 9 on the 15

Ive got 95,000 miles I think by the time I reach Doha would have 100.000 { F to DOH @ 70.000 and J to LHR @ 30000 so would happily use them to get home and good riddance to QR

MikeFly Mar 8, 2018 5:06 am

Error on Dashboard Upgrade Feature?

Being new to QRPC award redemption's, I'm running into a problem that hopefully someone can help me with. I'm trying too upgrade a paid J to F. My routing is JFK-DOH-BKK. In the dashboard I retrieve my flight it brings up the segments, in the dropdown box next to the segment for DOH-BKK (only segment with F) it shows Businesstonull(). Tried selecting it and hit continue and get an error message. I realize that there may not be space available for the upgrade, my concern is due to a website error, I'm not even given a fair chance. Any advice?

kl1987 Mar 8, 2018 5:36 am

I have had the same error and reported it to QRPC on 29/01/2018 with detailed description and screenshots.

They acknowledged receipt. A week later I followed up and they said that they are working on it and will "write back to you at the earliest with resolution."

Well now more than a month later still nothing. I submitted all subsequent request via the Contact Centre which I will also not be able to do after 11 March. So guess I won't be able to upgrade anything.

Alfredbali Mar 8, 2018 5:41 am

Originally Posted by kl1987 (Post 29499546)
I have had the same error and reported it to QRPC on 29/01/2018 with detailed description and screenshots.

They acknowledged receipt. A week later I followed up and they said that they are working on it and will "write back to you at the earliest with resolution."

Well now more than a month later still nothing. I submitted all subsequent request via the Contact Centre which I will also not be able to do after 11 March. So guess I won't be able to upgrade anything.

Yes maybe that's the reason Qatar Airways is moving all Privilege Club transactions online ;-)

xadria Mar 8, 2018 10:08 am

Originally Posted by Alfredbali (Post 29499560)
Yes maybe that's the reason Qatar Airways is moving all Privilege Club transactions online ;-)

For sure this is the reason... they are also struggeling in making Tickets booked in Economy Saver, but in booking class O, upgradable through their website....