Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Earning only 55 qmiles for first class BA flight LHR-SFO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2018, 2:24 am
Original Poster

Is it a general trend that earning qpoints for partner airlines a bad idea? 55 qpoints for first class BA flight from LHR to SFO seems excessively low.

Last edited by enefem; Jan 12, 2018 at 3:35 am Reason: changed qmiles to qpoints
Old Jan 12, 2018, 2:38 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by enefem
Is it a general trend that earning qmiles for partner airlines a bad idea? 55 qpoints for first class BA flight from LHR to SFO seems excessively low.
Assume you mean 55 Qpoints; 55 Qmiles would indeed be excessively low! QRPC is in many ways the reverse of the likes of BAEC.

BAEC makes it more attractive to earn your TPs by flying oneworld airlines other than BA by, e.g., giving cheap AA F flights intra-US the same TPs as a long-haul BA flight in J (until recently they were equivalent to a long-haul BA flight in F!) and giving someone who chooses to fly LHR-JFK-SFO in F twice as many TPs as someone that takes LHR-SFO F direct on BA only. QR, in contrast, penalises flying anything but QR for the purposes of earning status.

My approach is to credit all QR flights to QRPC and credit almost all other oneworld flights to BAEC. Only you know which programme(s) works best for you!
Old Jan 12, 2018, 2:46 am

Programs: QR Platinum
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Assume you mean 55 Qpoints; 55 Qmiles would indeed be excessively low! QRPC is in many ways the reverse of the likes of BAEC.

BAEC makes it more attractive to earn your TPs by flying oneworld airlines other than BA by, e.g., giving cheap AA F flights intra-US the same TPs as a long-haul BA flight in J (until recently they were equivalent to a long-haul BA flight in F!) and giving someone who chooses to fly LHR-JFK-SFO in F twice as many TPs as someone that takes LHR-SFO F direct on BA only. QR, in contrast, penalises flying anything but QR for the purposes of earning status.

My approach is to credit all QR flights to QRPC and credit almost all other oneworld flights to BAEC. Only you know which programme(s) works best for you!
I am a new member and just learning about qmiles/qpoints. I am planning to fly HEL to BKK. However to position I have to fly from DUB using either Norweigan or Finnair. Finnair is working into over twice the price, however I would gain 20 Q Points which would carry me into Gold membership. Do you think this is worth it? My travel will include 3-4 trips to South East Asia per year.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 3:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation

Yeah, sorry I did meant Qpoints.

What puzzles me is that QRPC even penalizes Qpoints for QR business R class, whereas in BAEC you get a full tier points for QR business R class. Weird!
Old Jan 12, 2018, 7:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by A380PM
I am a new member and just learning about qmiles/qpoints. I am planning to fly HEL to BKK. However to position I have to fly from DUB using either Norweigan or Finnair. Finnair is working into over twice the price, however I would gain 20 Q Points which would carry me into Gold membership. Do you think this is worth it? My travel will include 3-4 trips to South East Asia per year.
I'd say being gold is worth more than a few hundred euros, so go for it. You get 40 QCredits as a goldmember (hey, goldmember) which is enough to upgrade your Asia trip one way which is probably worth 500 euros by itself, not to mention all the other bonuses you get (lounge access, higher earnings)
A380PM and Alfredbali like this.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 7:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by enefem
Yeah, sorry I did meant Qpoints.

What puzzles me is that QRPC even penalizes Qpoints for QR business R class, whereas in BAEC you get a full tier points for QR business R class. Weird!
It's difficult to tell whether BA is being too generous or QR is being too stingy, but yes there is big home bias for flying QR. Nothing we can really do about it, other than to just keep booking the great sales fares.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by mpkz
I'd say being gold is worth more than a few hundred euros, so go for it. You get 40 QCredits as a goldmember (hey, goldmember) which is enough to upgrade your Asia trip one way which is probably worth 500 euros by itself, not to mention all the other bonuses you get (lounge access, higher earnings)
Thanks for the advice!

Does a Finnair "Value" ticket count as K,M,P or T? It is quite hard to find on their site. This is the fare that would get me the 20QPoints.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 11:09 am
Suspended

Thanks for the advice!

Does a Finnair "Value" ticket count as K,M,P or T? It is quite hard to find on their site. This is the fare that would get me the 20QPoints.
Finnair value can be a lot of booking classes, I think it's possible for the cheapest + value tickets to have overlapping booking classes as well (because value is never much more expensive so you see much more variation in ticket price across time)... You can see it on the Finnair site when booking a flight (or used to be able to at least). When you go through the first flight selection thing, on the second page when you click the flights you have chosen (like literally click the flight number) it should open a pop up that has the booking class you will book into.

Just scanned all 2017 non-award Finnair tickets I booked (I mainly used my expiring AY+ points in 2017 unfortunately), most should be value:
HEL-HKG-HEL went into O and is definitely value
CPH-HEL went into O and was value
HEL-OSL-HEL in Campaign went to W
HEL-OUL-HEL in Pro went to Y (corporate account)
HEL-CDG-Hel went to S and I think it was Value but it's not saying anything on the email (also a corporate account)

edit: just looked at the QCalculator for my upcoming HKG trip, a whopping 2400 miles and 30 qpoints as a QR plat from that roundtrip. almost tempted to credit to finnair.
double edit: just looked at HEL-MAN which was a BA booking as part of a larger itinerary, that went into K and gave me a fair bit of miles. The finnair app said Pro though.
A380PM likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 12:45 pm

Finnair value can be a lot of booking classes, I think it's possible for the cheapest + value tickets to have overlapping booking classes as well (because value is never much more expensive so you see much more variation in ticket price across time)... You can see it on the Finnair site when booking a flight (or used to be able to at least). When you go through the first flight selection thing, on the second page when you click the flights you have chosen (like literally click the flight number) it should open a pop up that has the booking class you will book into.

Just scanned all 2017 non-award Finnair tickets I booked (I mainly used my expiring AY+ points in 2017 unfortunately), most should be value:
HEL-HKG-HEL went into O and is definitely value
CPH-HEL went into O and was value
HEL-OSL-HEL in Campaign went to W
HEL-OUL-HEL in Pro went to Y (corporate account)
HEL-CDG-Hel went to S and I think it was Value but it's not saying anything on the email (also a corporate account)

edit: just looked at the QCalculator for my upcoming HKG trip, a whopping 2400 miles and 30 qpoints as a QR plat from that roundtrip. almost tempted to credit to finnair.
double edit: just looked at HEL-MAN which was a BA booking as part of a larger itinerary, that went into K and gave me a fair bit of miles. The finnair app said Pro though.
Thanks for all your help with this! I tried many itereries but none are getting the class fare I need. L,N,O,Q,S,V will get me 16 qcredits. Just 4 below the 300 needed for Gold. Might be able to do quick mileage run to London to get me over the line.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 7:05 am
Suspended

Thanks for all your help with this! I tried many itereries but none are getting the class fare I need. L,N,O,Q,S,V will get me 16 qcredits. Just 4 below the 300 needed for Gold. Might be able to do quick mileage run to London to get me over the line.
or just fly DUB-LHR-HEL?
A380PM likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 12:13 pm

or just fly DUB-LHR-HEL?
Yes this looks like it will get me 26 Qpoints which would get me over the line. Would I need to ensure the operating carrier is British Airways to redeem the Qpoints? I know they codeshare with Aer Lingus.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 11:56 pm
Suspended

Yes this looks like it will get me 26 Qpoints which would get me over the line. Would I need to ensure the operating carrier is British Airways to redeem the Qpoints? I know they codeshare with Aer Lingus.
My uneducated guess: Yes, operating carrier is more important.
A380PM likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.