Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond.
Skipping a leg mid-trip

Hi

I am scheduled to travel from HK to Joburg via Doha in business

HK to Doha, Doha to Joburg

Joburg to Doha, Doha to HK

All on one ticket.

Basically ive had a issue come up where 2/3 of the way in, I need to go London.

So I plan to take the HK to Jo'burg flight

but I will be going from Jobrug to London one way ( paid myself)

if I miss the Joburg to Doha flight, am I still allowed to catch the connection flight Doha to HK?

ie I will book a flight from London to Doha to ensure I catch that flight.

Is this possible?
Old Dec 2, 2017, 3:07 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Rizla
Hi

I am scheduled to travel from HK to Joburg via Doha in business

HK to Doha, Doha to Joburg

Joburg to Doha, Doha to HK

All on one ticket.

Basically ive had a issue come up where 2/3 of the way in, I need to go London.

So I plan to take the HK to Jo'burg flight

but I will be going from Jobrug to London one way ( paid myself)

if I miss the Joburg to Doha flight, am I still allowed to catch the connection flight Doha to HK?

ie I will book a flight from London to Doha to ensure I catch that flight.

Is this possible?
If you miss any of your flights, the subsequent sectors will be cancelled - meaning if you miss JNB-DOH, your DOH-HKG will also be cancelled.

M
Old Dec 2, 2017, 3:30 am

Rizla if you cancel JNB-DOH more than three hours before departure then you should not automatically lose the DOH-HKG flight.
Have you considered changing your reservation to an multi city reservation HKG-DOH-JNB, LHR-DOH-HKG? But, depending on the ticket class of the various segments, and the return origin change there will almost certainly be fare differences. Check with QR or your TA.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 4:10 am

Programs: BA Silver
Yes, I would ask if you can change it to HKG-DOH-JNB and LHR-DOH-HKG, as skipping JNB-DOH will most likely lead to DOH-HKG being cancelled.

If this is not feasible, then why don't you fly non-stop from LHR/LGW to HKG, go even go back to JNB to re-join your original schedule?
Old Dec 2, 2017, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by remdk
Rizla if you cancel JNB-DOH more than three hours before departure then you should not automatically lose the DOH-HKG flight.
Have you considered changing your reservation to an multi city reservation HKG-DOH-JNB, LHR-DOH-HKG? But, depending on the ticket class of the various segments, and the return origin change there will almost certainly be fare differences. Check with QR or your TA.
If you cancel the JNB-HKG leg, your ticket will be re-fared. HKG-DOH-JNB/LHR-DOH-HKG is not a multi-city ticket. It's an open jaw itinerary because of the JNB/LHR discontinuity. Open jaw tickets are subject to completely different fare rules and levels. I suggest that you target LHR-HKG flights before you call QR to try to do this. Also, when you call, be sure to start the conversation with something along the lines of "I'm thinking about changing my itinerary. Can you tell me what the implications would be if I ...." This is to prevent an agent trying to be efficient and cancelling any flights before you've heard what the implications are going to be. This happened to me once; agent cancelled the flights I said that I wouldn't be taking before she told me the fare implications of my contemplated change. Getting my original itinerary back took some effort.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 8:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You must fly your ticket in the order the segments were issued. If you no show (skip) any segment, that segment and all remaining segments will be cancelled and the ticket will retain whatever value it retains under its specific fare rules. That could be anywhere from zero to the full value. No way to tell without much more detail about the fare basis for each segment.

Presuming that your ticket is changeable, you may then change it to the new routing you wish. You will pay a change fee if one is applicable and any fare difference. This could be a minor amount or a great deal of money.

I would suggest that you track down the exact details and compare the costs before relying on broad possibilities and speculation.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 11:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond.
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the comments.

I should add more details.

So I booked the special fares that Qatar were running a few months ago. I was able to get a deep discount for business class. I doubt I can change the flight as I paid only around 600$ for the ticket.

As its business Ideally I don't want to lose the ability to have a business class flight if possible.

Hope that makes more sense.

Last edited by Rizla; Dec 3, 2017 at 11:20 pm Reason: Wrong airline name
Old Dec 4, 2017, 9:49 am

Programs: BA Silver
Then I think you'll have to either go back to JNB to catch your original flight back, or make your own way back to HKG from LON. I don't think you will be able to rejoin your flight at DOH
Old Dec 7, 2017, 1:42 am

Programs: BA GGL, Gold for Life
In the days when one could make full use of the Maximum Permitted Mileage rules, I frequently added a European side trip on to a BKK-LHR-BKK or DXB-LHR-DXB return on BA. One time I was too busy to make the Europe trip, but though that as it was just a side trip there would be no consequences for skipping it. WRONG! When checking my booking some time after I should have taken the side trip, and a few days before my flight to DXB I found that my LHR-DXB sector had been cancelled. On phoning BA I was told that as the flight had already been cancelled, there was nothing that could be done (and I ended up paying £1500 to travel that leg in PE). I was told however that had I phoned the airline before failing to take the European side trip, they could have 'protected' the remaining flight. I got the impression that I would have been required to have a valid reason for cancelling the side trip, but that there would have been no checking of that valid reason. It may be that in your case if you 'phone Qatar CS and can give them a valid reason for missing one chunk of your itinerary, they will be prepared to 'protect' the remaining flight. However my experience was around 10 years ago, so things may have changed. Good luck anyway!
Old Dec 7, 2017, 4:42 am

GGLwannabe the rules have not changed very much since your problems some ten years ago. There actually appears have been a very slight softening in the rules. It appears that QR have introduced rather high No show fees that you would have to pay to reactivate the remaining flights. I have not heard of anyone actually doing so, so it is a matter of conjecture on my part.
Sometimes the No show fees are higher than the fare paid. For example LHR-BKK Economy saver fare GBP 397, No show fees for ticket class for sector GBP 491! For BKK-LHR the fare is GBP327 and No show still GBP 491!
Old Dec 7, 2017, 5:24 am

It appears that QR have introduced rather high No show fees that you would have to pay to reactivate the remaining flights. I have not heard of anyone actually doing so, so it is a matter of conjecture on my part.
Sometimes the No show fees are higher than the fare paid. For example LHR-BKK Economy saver fare GBP 397, No show fees for ticket class for sector GBP 491! For BKK-LHR the fare is GBP327 and No show still GBP 491!
Hmmm, it's possible that these are the post-hoc no show charges, i.e. you don't show, and subsequently try to reinstate the remainder of the ticket. It may be different if you contact CS several days in advance of the flight you have to skip with a sufficiently valid reason and ask them to 'protect' the remaining segments. This too is of course conjecture - it would be good to have chapter and verse on this.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 6:00 am

GGLwannabe if you actually cancel a sector rather than being a No show the remaining sectors are not affected.
Somewhere within the T and Cs or Conditions of Carriage there is a statement that a No show will result in cancellation of remaining sectors.
A cancellation of a sector is just that - a cancellation of that sector and nothing else. A No Show results in automatic cancellation of the entire remaining reservation unless there is very good reason, such as weather delays.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 7:05 am

if you actually cancel a sector rather than being a No show the remaining sectors are not affected.
Somewhere within the T and Cs or Conditions of Carriage there is a statement that a No show will result in cancellation of remaining sectors.
A cancellation of a sector is just that - a cancellation of that sector and nothing else. A No Show results in automatic cancellation of the entire remaining reservation unless there is very good reason, such as weather delays.
So that would imply that all the OP has to do is phone up QR customer service and ask them to cancel the sector he no longer wants to fly - job done! I'm not sure it's quite that straightforward; at the very least he would have to make it very clear that he did not want the final sector cancelled.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 8:15 am

GGLwannabe the last time I had to cancel a sector I did it online using the cancel function of Manage My Booking. However, due to special circumstances, I had to contact both my home and local QR Office. In the case of OP, contacting QR should not be required.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
GGLwannabe if you actually cancel a sector rather than being a No show the remaining sectors are not affected. ... A cancellation of a sector is just that - a cancellation of that sector and nothing else.
Originally Posted by GGLwannabe
So that would imply that all the OP has to do is phone up QR customer service and ask them to cancel the sector he no longer wants to fly - job done! I'm not sure it's quite that straightforward; at the very least he would have to make it very clear that he did not want the final sector cancelled.
GGLwannabe the last time I had to cancel a sector I did it online using the cancel function of Manage My Booking.
I agree with GGLwannabe, it's not that simple. Consider a roundtrip itinerary, AAA-DOH-BBB-DOH-AAA. If you cancel one of those segments, you change the ticket from a roundtrip to an open-jaw ticket; and I would be quite surprised if there isn't some fare implication. So while you may have the ability to cancel a segment, check what that's going to do to the fare before you pull the trigger.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.