Qcredits upgrade: Ticket change allowed?

Old Nov 29, 17, 4:41 am
Original Poster

Qcredits upgrade: Ticket change allowed?

Hi,
First post in this forum so please bear with me. I have 40 Qcredits in my PC account which I would like to use for a ticket upgrade from Y to J. Travel date would be after expiration date of the Qcredits (October 2018) so I would need to get the ticket and have the upgrade confirmed before that date.

I am aware that, as opposed to Qmiles, Qcredits cannot be refunded but, if I need to change the travel date for my ticket (possibly after expiration date of the Qcredits) would I still be able to keep the upgrade?

Thanks
Old Nov 29, 17, 6:25 am

Mister P. welcome to the QR forum.
The terms and conditions for Privilege Club can be found at https://www.qatarairways.com/en-dk/P...onditions.html. These appear to have changed recently so that there appears to no longer be a ban on re-crediting Qcredits.
Thus it would appear that the only difference between Qmiles and Qcredits is their expiry.
To answer your question you should be able to change dates on an itinerary containing Qcredits just as with with Qmiles.
You have 'used' them before they expire. Reward tickets are valid for one year from issue and it should not matter if they are Qmiles or Qcredits..
Old Nov 29, 17, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Thanks remdk, this is very helpful. In which section of the Terms and conditions did you see the info on re-crediting Qcredits? I checked the Qcredits section and it says the following
Qcredits are awarded only to members in certain membership tiers and can be redeemed for various awards on Qatar Airways. Unless otherwise indicated, Qcredits are valid for a period of twelve (12) months and will expire automatically on the first anniversary of the date on which they were credited to your account.

My main concern is whether I would be able to make changes to a ticket upgraded with Qcredits after the expiration date of those Qcredits.
Thanks
Old Nov 29, 17, 7:08 am

Mister P. the information about not being able to re-credit Qcredits has been removed in this latest version!
Once you use Qcredits for an upgrade they are removed from your account. in exactly the same way that Qmiles are.. That is they are used even though you may not have flown the upgrade flight yet! Reward tickets (flights and upgrades) are transferable within one year of issue. That is the tickets and not how you paid for them (Qmiles/Qcredits)!
Old Nov 29, 17, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Ok, thanks! I wasn't aware of this. Just one more question, if I may: when you say "Reward tickets (flights and upgrades) are transferable within one year of issue", does it mean I would be able to change the date (or possibly the destination) on a ticket upgraded with Qcredits? (After the expiration of Qcredits).

I am asking this because when I have had to make changes to an award ticket with QR in the past, in some cases Privilege Club has first redeposited the miles back into my account and then removed then again to re-issue the new ticket. If Qcredits are now being used in a similar way, I am not sure this would be feasible (if I have to make any changes past the expiration date of those Qcredits).

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks again for all the help!
Old Nov 29, 17, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT; QR PLT; Bonvoy LT TIT
I'm not so sure that it actually works this way. Under this approach, you could "use" QCredits on their last day of their validity to upgrade a flight 11 months in the future, thus effectively giving them a life nearly double what is published. I'm not saying that you would be unsuccessful; I'm just not confident that this will work. Why not call QRPC and ask?
Old Nov 29, 17, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Thanks Dr. HFH. I don't think it should be problem to upgrade a ticket 11 months into the future just before the expiration date of the Qcredits, but rather whether it would be possible to make any changes to that ticket within those 11 months (and keep the upgrade).

I know Qcredits have had very strict limitations in the past so that's also why I was asking. I will check with QRPC and let you know when I hear back from them.
Thanks again.
Old Nov 29, 17, 10:58 am

Programs: QR Privilege Club Gold
I used Qcredits to upgrade a DOH-MEL flight I had originally booked in late February from J to F. Shortly after I had to change my dates to January and unfortunately I lost the upgrade along with 35 Qcredits.
Old Nov 29, 17, 2:28 pm

Dcau1 welcome to Flyertalk and to the QR forum.

It would appear that the change in the rules I mentioned early on in this thread is actually an error in updating the T and C's! So it is back to the old rules that Qcredits are transferable but not refundable!
In your case I think that there was no upgrade space available on your new flight so you lost both your upgrade and your Qcredits.
Australia seems to be popular at that time of year (Summer). Add to that the fact that both MEL and SYD are supposedly very popular for J to F upgrades and the events are understandable but still very frustrating!
Old Dec 1, 17, 1:35 am
Original Poster

Hi,
I just heard back from Privilege Club about this,
Please be informed that you can redeem Qmiles/Qcredits for anyone prior to expiry for future travel.
Should you wish to request for date change once award upgrade processed, we can process date change upon collecting applicable charges as per revenue ticket and if redemption seats are available for new travel date, award upgrade can be processed considering same number of Qcredits which were redeemed initially.
However, if redemption seats are unavailable for new travel date, we cannot refund Qcredits, as per Privilege Club policy.

In the case of Gold members, no change/cancelation fees would apply. So it seems a change of date would be possible as long as there are award seats available. I am not sure about changing the itinerary though. I hope this helps in any case.
Old Mar 22, 18, 8:41 am

Hi.
Is there a way to find out how many qcredits are needed to upgrade a flight from Y to J ? I can only find those information on qmiles... Also, anyone knows which fares can be upgraded using qcredits? Is that the same fares like for qmiles ?

Thanks
Old Mar 22, 18, 9:42 am

Programs: SPG GOLD, QR GOLD,OW S, IHG GOLD. HH SILVER
you can login into your QRPC account and use the qcalcualtor ... and once you put in your dep city and arrival city ... it will give you the qcredit required details ...
Old Mar 22, 18, 10:02 am

Programs: QR Platinum, BAEC blue Skywards Silver Accor classic
I almost lost 40 q credits last December because I had to change my flight but after complaining they found be award upgrade space however the situation is very different now as we all know how difficult it is to find redemption seats
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Oct 7, 18, 10:16 am

Programs: QR Platinum (OWE), TK Classic Plus, Taj Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Hilton Gold
Just to provide the latest info as I spoke with a CSO about this exact issue today. He said Qcredits are non-refundable, as experienced by @spec119. So if you use them once to upgrade a ticket and then need to change that ticket to a new date, you've lost your Qcredits, regardless of their expiry date! How useless is that?! QR's rules are so strict around this. Thankfully I've never had to change a Qcredits upgraded flight of mine. I just booked one today (SIN-JFK) for next summer - fingers crossed!
Old Oct 7, 18, 10:20 am

Programs: QR Platinum, BAEC blue Skywards Silver Accor classic
I was allowed to change the date but the problem I had was no u class available seats so eventually after some moaning got rebooked on the dreaded QR827 BKK DOH but better than losing credits