Wiki Posts
Search

QR904 Diverted to SYD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2017, 3:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Former holder of many statuses, less so now
QR904 Diverted to SYD

I’m currently sat on QR904 on the ground in SYD. After 2 go arounds at MEL due to wind shear they diverted SYD.

The captain announced we will refuel and head back to MEL. I’m starting to wonder if they might time out on duty hours though. They are saying we need 45 mins to refuel. If that is the case we are still looking at 4 hours extension to the flight time. Am I right to be concerned?
Old Nov 23, 2017, 3:10 am
Original Poster

Also QR905 is going to have a considerable delay tonight.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MrDooog
I’m currently sat on QR904 on the ground in SYD. After 2 go arounds at MEL due to wind shear they diverted SYD.
Other airlines look to have had no problems landing.
While I am ~25km SE from the airport there is no dramatic weather in my area

https://www.melbourneairport.com.au/...ights/Arrivals
Old Nov 23, 2017, 3:30 am
Original Poster

The plane was getting thrown about a lot on approach. Looking out the window there were a lots of small pockets of rain. Think we just got unlucky and they took what they believed to be the safest option.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 3:44 am
Original Poster

They have just announced we will be departing shortly so will hopefully be in MEL around 2300.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 4:34 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Glad to hear you'll shortly be back on your way.

QR wouldn't have diverted unless they absolutely had to, and when a decision is made on Safety Grounds, it's best not to question it.

Hope you reach MEL asap

M
Flame3601 likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 5:39 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
QR wouldn't have diverted unless they absolutely had to, and when a decision is made on Safety Grounds, it's best not to question it.
Yep, in these situations you have got to trust the judgement of the captain and the flight deck. I am very sure they didn't want to divert and they will need to justify their decision internally to the airline for the operational and commercial impacts that arise from the divert, as well the the considerable inconvenience to the passengers and crew.

​​​​
msm2000uk likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 5:47 am

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Other airlines look to have had no problems landing.
While I am ~25km SE from the airport there is no dramatic weather in my area

https://www.melbourneairport.com.au/...ights/Arrivals
I was in the Mel CBD all evening as well and it wasn’t a storm 20km away, the big issue is the fuel, in Australia you do not have the option of an alternate airport closer than 500 miles, so with the fuel rules a missed approach or a couple holds you now don’t have the fuel to get to Syd. Not too many places have to travel 500 miles for an alternative
Old Nov 23, 2017, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by plunet
Yep, in these situations you have got to trust the judgement of the captain and the flight deck. I am very sure they didn't want to divert and they will need to justify their decision internally to the airline for the operational and commercial impacts that arise from the divert, as well the the considerable inconvenience to the passengers and crew.

​​​​
I sincerly hope inconvenience will never play any roll in decision making regarding diverting or not..!
Old Nov 26, 2017, 5:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by Jimmie Jet
I was in the Mel CBD all evening as well and it wasn’t a storm 20km away, the big issue is the fuel, in Australia you do not have the option of an alternate airport closer than 500 miles, so with the fuel rules a missed approach or a couple holds you now don’t have the fuel to get to Syd. Not too many places have to travel 500 miles for an alternative
+1

Other flights probably wouldn't have have the fuel minimums issue since they would be shorter.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 5:06 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Yeah, this isn't LAX where you divert 41 nm to ONT or 95 nm to SAN. Also, wind shear isn't necessarily something that occurs in sustained bursts, rather something that happens in brief spots and the OP just go unlucky. Missing at MEL means flying an hour to SYD, and needing minimums for there - that's a real consideration.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 2:17 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
While fuel is a possible reason for the divert, QR’s cockpit procedures could also be the main factor. A lot of airlines have a maximum amount of missed approaches allowed before the pilots have to divert for safety reasons, that is certainly the case with Aer Lingus where only 2 missed approaches are permitted before a divert. The rational for such a rule is the view that pilots may take the ‘land at all costs’ mentality after a few missed approaches / go-around and disregard obvious issues to please the pax / airline / crew and get home etc. Hopefully the OP made it to MEL without too much hassle in the end.

Pilot37
Old Nov 28, 2017, 3:07 am

Programs: teach
Diverted to SYD

The captain announced we will refuel and head back to MEL. I’m starting to wonder if they might time out on duty hours though. They are saying we need 45 mins to refuel. If that is the case we are still looking at 4 hours extension to the flight time. Am I right to be concerned?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.