Wiki Posts
Search

Longest time in airside transit at DOH?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Longest time in airside transit at DOH?

This is a bit of a BA/DOH question, but I'm asking it on the QR forum as I suspect I'll get a more definitive answer bearing in mind it's DOH.

Assuming I have an onward boarding card issued, is there a limit to how early I can go through security as a transit pax?

Can I use an electronic boarding pass at DOH (in this case BA) or do I need a physical BP to be accepted for transit security (I've only ever transited DOH with a pre-issued physical BP before)?

Are there facilities in the connections area to issue physical BA boarding passes in the transit area if need be?

I am looking at a nearly 24h connection (don't ask), and was intending to use the airside hotel to get some work done, and put in a bit of quality lounge surfing (it's a BA F ticket).
Old Nov 20, 2017, 8:55 am
Suspended

Boarding passes are not scanned at DOH transit security. I don't know for the gate, but presumably if you tried to get through with an electronic BP and it failed, they'd print you a new one at the gate.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 9:57 am

Howard Long in your situation there is no time limitation.

Just before entering transit security there are transit desks where you can get a paper boarding pass. Remember that the first time you will need your boarding pass is when boarding your onward flight.

As you are arriving in longhaul F you should have access to the Al Safwa lounge. I say should because there is a rule that if you are not departing in F and your transit time is more than 8 hours then you will not be admitted but sent to Al Mourjan lounge. This rule reappears at random intervals.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 2:03 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.

Originally Posted by remdk
Howard Long in your situation there is no time limitation.
Just before entering transit security there are transit desks where you can get a paper boarding pass. Remember that the first time you will need your boarding pass is when boarding your onward flight.

As you are arriving in longhaul F you should have access to the Al Safwa lounge. I say should because there is a rule that if you are not departing in F and your transit time is more than 8 hours then you will not be admitted but sent to Al Mourjan lounge. This rule reappears at random intervals.
I'm inbound QR F and outbound BA F. I know BA F has access to Al Safwa, confirmed from a few weeks ago. Although the rooms in Al Safwa are fine for a sleep and shower, I found the lack of a simple amenity like bottled water means I prefer the airside hotel for long layovers, and it also means you have a base. (One downside of the airside hotel is that you can still hear the airport PA announcements, bring your noise cancellers!).

I'll need the BP for access to any of the lounges, although I would imagine the lounge agent could also issue me a boarding card, I've had this happen during irrops in the past.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Howard Long
... I found the lack of a simple amenity like bottled water ....
I can't imagine that you would have a hard time finding a bottle of water in AS to take into the sleeping room.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 1:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I can't imagine that you would have a hard time finding a bottle of water in AS to take into the sleeping room.
You'd be surprised! After realising there was no water, I went to the spa/room desk and asked if they had some bottled water. Rather than producing one in a few moments while I waited, they told me to go back to my room and they'd get one for me. Fair enough, I thought, but it took nearly half an hour to arrive! I did think they'd forgotten.

Since then, perhaps they do supply water, I don't know, it was a year or so ago since I last used the rooms for sleeping, but more recently when I've used the rooms for a shower only, there was no bottled water then either.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 6:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Howard Long
You'd be surprised! After realising there was no water, I went to the spa/room desk and asked if they had some bottled water. Rather than producing one in a few moments while I waited, they told me to go back to my room and they'd get one for me. Fair enough, I thought, but it took nearly half an hour to arrive! I did think they'd forgotten.

Since then, perhaps they do supply water, I don't know, it was a year or so ago since I last used the rooms for sleeping, but more recently when I've used the rooms for a shower only, there was no bottled water then either.
He means just take a bottle from one of the many beverage stations around the lounge
Old Nov 22, 2017, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by mpkz
He means just take a bottle from one of the many beverage stations around the lounge
Yes, this.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Hmm, I can’t say I’ve ever noticed these beverage stations with bottled water in Al Safwa, I’m usually propping up the bar enjoying the delights of a waiting service ;-)

Still, I remain surprised (a) there was no bottled water in the room itself, (b) there was none to be had nearby and (c) it took nearly half an hour to find some. As mentioned, as the desk is shared with the spa I assumed there would be a stock of such a basic amenity very nearby that I could be directed to, and it wouldn’t be such a chore, but I was proven wrong!
Old Nov 22, 2017, 1:31 pm
Suspended

The lack of water is inconsistency on their part though. I've had a small bottle both times that I've stayed in a room.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 2:18 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Can't you just take one of the huge 2L(?) bottles of Vittel or whatever they are serving
Old Jan 20, 2018, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

I am about to conclude a 26 hour layover in DOH.

The lesson I learned is that without paper boarding passes life is difficult in terms of access to lounges and the transit hotel. Mobile boarding passes are frequently not enough for some reason. Of course, there's a chicken and egg here, how do you print your boarding pass without lounge access?

I did manage to gain access to the transit hotel with an electronic boarding pass, but I had to email it to the front desk as I stood there at the reception checking in.

I managed to get the lounge agent at the Al Maha lounge to print out my boarding pass at the desk by emailing it to her. They couldn't do that at Al Safwa, although they did let me in there once I'd provided my boarding pass, ticket number and Seq no. The printer didn't work in hte Al Safwa business centre. Doh!

Anyway, I've had an interesting stay airside at DOH, taking in the delights of all six lounges and the transit hotel. Definitely the transit hotel was worth doing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.