Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Website error when searching award availability from JFK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2017, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QR Gold, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, GHA Titanium, Taj Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold Elite

Hello,

I'm trying to search for award availability from JFK to SIN/BKK in the first half of 2018 and for the past 10 days have been constantly getting an error message on Qatar's website saying, "We are unable to find recommendations for your search. Please change your search criteria and resubmit the search. (66002 [866])".

It doesn't make a difference whether you search one way or return or in Y or J, as long as the starting point is JFK. However, I know there is availability because for the same period if you search the other way around - SIN/BKK to JFK return - I do see seats available for the JFK- SIN/BKK legs.

Is anyone facing the same issue? I have emailed QRPC about this but haven't received a response yet. @remdk, perhaps you can help speed up the process here?

Thanks!
Attached Images  
Old Nov 13, 2017, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Have you tried calling?
Old Nov 13, 2017, 10:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QR Gold, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, GHA Titanium, Taj Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Not yet. I guess I could. Don't want to book online though as I'll get slapped with their service fee.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 11:47 pm

lifeonthego_k I have seen that error when there was no availability for the chosen date and three days before and after.
Have you tried other origins such as BOS?
Old Nov 14, 2017, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by remdk
BOS seems to be extremely tight these days.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 2:33 am
Original Poster

lifeonthego_k I have seen that error when there was no availability for the chosen date and three days before and after.
I can see that there is availability for the return leg of a SIN/BKK to JFK return award ticket. So there's definitely availability, unless QR is trying to prevent people from getting a one-way award ticket from JFK. But I doubt this.

To answer your question I have tried multiple dates in Feb, April, June and July. I guess I will have to wait for QRPC to get back to me. Usually they are quite prompt but for this query they aren't being.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 3:15 am

lifeonthego_k I am afraid that availability from B to A does not mean that there is availability from A to B.
QR uses married segments and each origin is allocated a number of reward places for every flight. These reward spaces are for the married segment (e.g. JFK-BKK) not for individual segments (JFK-DOH and DOH-BKK). When flights are first available for booking, almost a year prior to flight, the initial allocation can be booked up within a few days, especially at peak times.
It is quite possible for reward space to be 'sold out' for flights from JFK but still be available from Bkk as origin to JFK.
Have you tried other destinations such as KUL?
Have you looked at availability JFK-DOH and then DOH-BKK? More expensive in Qmiles but you may get lucky.
Of course there is always the possibility of an IT error.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 6:40 am
Original Poster

lifeonthego_k I am afraid that availability from B to A does not mean that there is availability from A to B.
QR uses married segments and each origin is allocated a number of reward places for every flight. These reward spaces are for the married segment (e.g. JFK-BKK) not for individual segments (JFK-DOH and DOH-BKK). When flights are first available for booking, almost a year prior to flight, the initial allocation can be booked up within a few days, especially at peak times.
It is quite possible for reward space to be 'sold out' for flights from JFK but still be available from Bkk as origin to JFK.
Have you tried other destinations such as KUL?
Have you looked at availability JFK-DOH and then DOH-BKK? More expensive in Qmiles but you may get lucky.
Of course there is always the possibility of an IT error.
Somehow I feel this is an IT error. I get your explanation but the situation isn't quite like that. It is like this: there is availability for A to B as a return journey, which means A to B and B to A can be booked as one return ticket. I'm trying to only book the B to A segment as a one-way and then it's giving me the error. KUL gives me the same error message.

Anyways, QRPC has finally acknowledged my request and say they are looking into it.

Thanks for the responses!
Old Nov 14, 2017, 3:28 pm

Been looking up for Singapore JFK availability for may and June 2018 all 2x... Only Chicago has a few dates available... Very poor availability to the north and south americas....
Old Nov 17, 2017, 1:58 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by lifeonthego_k
I'm trying to search for award availability from JFK to SIN/BKK in the first half of 2018 and for the past 10 days have been constantly getting an error message on Qatar's website saying, "We are unable to find recommendations for your search. Please change your search criteria and resubmit the search. (66002 [866])".
Originally Posted by lifeonthego_k
Somehow I feel this is an IT error.
Yes, it's an error on the QR website -- there is plenty of C Award Availability on that date:

[KVS Tool 8.6.8/Diamond - Awards/JL-OneWorld/UK]
Code:
NYC  New York Metro NY US = JFK LGA EWR
SIN  Singapore Changi SG [WSSS]
WED  14 Feb 2018

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Award Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  ------------------
QR         704     JFK   09:45     DOH   06:00 +1  359  0   CS4
 -> QR     944     DOH   08:30 +1  SIN   21:30 +1  359  0   CS4
QR         704     JFK   09:45     DOH   06:00 +1  359  0   CS4
 -> QR     946     DOH   01:55 +2  SIN   14:55 +2  359  0   CS4
Old Nov 17, 2017, 4:50 pm

While the QR front office product is awesome, their back office systems and support are notoriously unreliable.

Based on my experience, their IT team is not very quick or proactive about fixing errors.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

@KVS, thanks for checking.
Update: QR responded saying they are looking into it but a week has past and still no resolution in site. In the meantime, they have agreed to make an award booking for me 'offline' though initially they were not honouring the 5% discount and waiver of service fees. But after requesting this they have agreed.

Last edited by lifeonthego_k; Dec 7, 2017 at 10:21 pm Reason: update
Old Dec 7, 2017, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

Update 2: IT error still not resolved, but after constant following up, QR finally booked my award ticket and honoured the 5% discount while also waiving the service fee. What was astounding is that it took them 10 days to book the award ticket!! That's a ridiculous amount of time, considering award space availability is very dynamic. And this is the service I get for being a Platinum member - very disappointed with the lousy service.
As a point of comparison I'm the equivalent of a Silver member with a Star Alliance partner and they responded to my mails in 20mins and I managed to get an award ticket booked and issued offline in 2 hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.