Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

I forgot my middle name in flight ticket - Qatar Airways

Old Oct 4, 2017, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: qatar airways

Hello,

So i booked my flight few weeks ago and today i received a promo email and i just noticed that it only says "Baha Gharbi" while my name in the passport is "Baha Eddine Gharbi". (this is a fake name, but its the same case)

How serious is this ? I am going to call their support service but they are closed at the moment and am kinda worried.

worst case i'll cancel the ticket and buy another one, i still have the time since my flight is 2 weeks from now, but i just want to know if this is something that may give me trouble or not ?

Thank you
KathFresh likes this.

Last edited by alaslipknot; Oct 4, 2017 at 1:05 pm
Old Oct 4, 2017, 11:55 am

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I don't think you'll have any problems. I sometimes use my middle name and sometimes only my first name on flight tickets - and never once had an issue either way. As long as it is identifiable as your name (which it seems to be above) then you'll be fine.

(also you may wish to remove your personal information from your post)
wanderingjock likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 12:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold
I never use my middle name on bookings - never had a problem
Old Oct 4, 2017, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by purple1addict
I don't think you'll have any problems. I sometimes use my middle name and sometimes only my first name on flight tickets - and never once had an issue either way. As long as it is identifiable as your name (which it seems to be above) then you'll be fine.

(also you may wish to remove your personal information from your post)
Thank you!

(and yes, i changed that with a fake name, thanks)

with that said, is it possible to edit my name on the ticket ?
Old Oct 4, 2017, 1:10 pm

Programs: QR Platinum OWE, LH SEN
Same feedback here, I have flown over 30 legs on QR all without my middle name.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 1:22 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Pretty much no airline cares about an omitted middle name.
Global Adventurer likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WorldLux
Pretty much no airline cares about an omitted middle name.
honestly i don't care much about the airline, am kinda sure that they will give me my tickets specially that i bought 2 tickets for me and my gf and so there will be no doubt to prove it, but am worrying about the security guards in the airport, more specifically my hometown (Tunisia) airport, they are just known for finding any excuse to ruin your trip.

so am just wondering, is it possible to call the airline and have them add that middle name into the tickets ?
Old Oct 4, 2017, 3:36 pm

alaslipknot welcome to Flyertalk and to the QR forum.

The booking engine QR uses (Amadeus) almost always deletes middle names as not required. As long as your passport can be associated with your ticketed name it is of no consequence.
All booking engines have rules for names, especially for shortening them, and check-in staff and Immigration officers are well aware of them. A major problem is that there are only a limited number of characters on your ticket, and boarding pass, for your name and often it has to be shortened to fit.

You have absolutely no need to worry. QR will not change your ticket name without you cancelling and purchasing new tickets at the current price. Even if they did the booking engine would probably remove it and you are back where you started!
Old Oct 4, 2017, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by remdk
alaslipknot welcome to Flyertalk and to the QR forum.

The booking engine QR uses (Amadeus) almost always deletes middle names as not required. As long as your passport can be associated with your ticketed name it is of no consequence.
All booking engines have rules for names, especially for shortening them, and check-in staff and Immigration officers are well aware of them. A major problem is that there are only a limited number of characters on your ticket, and boarding pass, for your name and often it has to be shortened to fit.

You have absolutely no need to worry. QR will not change your ticket name without you cancelling and purchasing new tickets at the current price. Even if they did the booking engine would probably remove it and you are back where you started!
No i actually went last year and had my full name in the tickets (my name is not that long) so i don't know, i'll call them tomorrow and see how it goes.

thanks
Old Oct 4, 2017, 4:10 pm

alaslipknot you have a valid ticket so trying to change it, is a complete waste of time and will just result in frustration. As I said in my previous post "Amadeus almost always deletes middle names as not required." So you may have been an exception to that rule or if you booked your ticket last year through a Travel agent that does not use Amadeus. That does not matter since your ticket is valid with the names given.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by remdk
alaslipknot you have a valid ticket so trying to change it, is a complete waste of time and will just result in frustration. As I said in my previous post "Amadeus almost always deletes middle names as not required." So you may have been an exception to that rule or if you booked your ticket last year through a Travel agent that does not use Amadeus. That does not matter since your ticket is valid with the names given.
Like i said, my problem will probably not be with QR agent in the airport as he/she will probably wouldn't care about the middle name, i just don't trust the security guy who might start asking questions if he sees a different name in there.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by alaslipknot
Hello,

So i booked my flight few weeks ago and today i received a promo email and i just noticed that it only says "Baha Gharbi" while my name in the passport is "Baha Eddine Gharbi". (this is a fake name, but its the same case)

How serious is this ? I am going to call their support service but they are closed at the moment and am kinda worried.

worst case i'll cancel the ticket and buy another one, i still have the time since my flight is 2 weeks from now, but i just want to know if this is something that may give me trouble or not ?

Thank you
I don't think you'll have any problems.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 12:00 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite / LH Senator / KL Gold / QR Gold
Originally Posted by alaslipknot
Like i said, my problem will probably not be with QR agent in the airport as he/she will probably wouldn't care about the middle name, i just don't trust the security guy who might start asking questions if he sees a different name in there.
Don't worry too much. Very often the boarding passes cannot display the full name anyways as the characters are limited.
Sometimes the check-in agent put in the extra effort to write my full name down on the boarding pass, most of the time they don't and it has never been an issue with any security or passport control anywhere.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 12:04 am

once I had the same issue. whilst I know QR won't bother, I particularly worried about visa application (I need visa to enter EU). in the end I braced myself not to do anything about it and the visa granted nonetheless.

the security guy is unlikely to make a fuss out of it.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 2:58 am

alaslipknot you are in exactly the same position as dozens, hundreds, maybe even thousands of passengers at that airport daily. They have no problem with it why should you?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.