Checked luggage on long layover at DOH

Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Checked luggage on long layover at DOH

In a couple of weeks, we are flying SOF-DOH-BKK, our first ever trip on QR

We are scheduled to arrive in DOH at 00:55 and to depart again at 20:55, hence 20 hours in transit.

We are planning to catch a few hours sleep at the Crowne Plaza, then spend a few hours wandering round souks etc. before heading back to the airport, so are kind of hoping we'll check in our bags at SOF and not see them again until BKK - is that a fair assumption ?

Thanks in advance !
Old Sep 26, 2017, 4:08 pm

Fitch until recently (last last year) you could not short-check your luggage to DOH. With the 96 hour visas introduction yhis changed for holders of that visa type. Due to fecent further changes I do not know the present state but you should be able to request your luggage through checked to BKK. Just remember to ask and then check for BKK on your baggage tag as well as DOH.

Do not screw your expectations sky-high but just relax and enjoy the QR service.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, QF Plat, HHonors Diamond,
Originally Posted by remdk
Fitch until recently (last last year) you could not short-check your luggage to DOH. With the 96 hour visas introduction yhis changed for holders of that visa type. Due to fecent further changes I do not know the present state but you should be able to request your luggage through checked to BKK. Just remember to ask and then check for BKK on your baggage tag as well as DOH.

Do not screw your expectations sky-high but just relax and enjoy the QR service.
I have a 12 hr layover in DOH, and they are providing me with free transit accommodation at Oryx Rotana. It seems that in these circumstances, bags are automatically tagged through to final destination and there is no option to retrieve them in DOH. Is that correct?
Old Sep 26, 2017, 4:57 pm

riteshshah welcome to the QR forum.

You appear to have STPC and if you look at the Wiki on http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...t-do-i-do.html you will see that luggage is checked to your final QR destination. (In some circumstances it may be checked through to your final, non QR, destination.). So yes that is correct.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 4:15 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
One thing I have learnt from experience and these forums is always check the baggage label once it has been put on your bag and do not rely on what you have been told
cheltzel likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 6:11 am
Original Poster

We are both UK passport holders so will get visa on arrival.

There'll be plenty of room in our carry-ons for one change of clothing, so no suitcases to wrangle at DOH will be a big plus

We did look into the free hotel thing but seem to have missed the boat date-wise, also it's not clear on the QR website if UK citizens are even eligible.

Anyhow I have a bunch of IHG points to burn so the CP is effectively free anyway...
Old Sep 27, 2017, 6:47 am

The free hotel promo got extended until end of the year, so you might want to look into it again.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 4:17 am
Original Poster

Hmm, so I went to https://transitvisa.qatarairways.com...plicantDetails and put in PNR and surname.

So far, so good: it found the booking and asked if we wanted to apply re the SOF-DOH-BKK journey.

Yes, I said, and again it happily took me through to the application form.

BUT, at this stage there is a dropdown box titled "Nationality". And on the linked list there is no sign of UK, United Kingdom, Great Britain, England or indeed anything matching our (UK) nationality.

So I'm stuck

Did I go to the right page ???

EDIT: I have now been on hold with QR London reservations for 25 minutes....

25 minutes for the reservations line, not even customer support ? That's terrible.

Will give it 5 more mins then give up - at least I'm using Skype so it's pennies !

EDIT REDUX: Well I finally got through in minute 30, but it seems we are not eligible as there is a shorter connection available. No biggie, we will stick to Plan A and go to the Crowne Plaza on points

Last edited by Fitch; Sep 28, 2017 at 4:37 am Reason: Update
Old Sep 28, 2017, 5:52 am

Fitch holders of UK passports no longer need a visa. Thus your application will fail.
See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...countries.html for details.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 7:34 am

You didn't. You probably wanted to go to this page: https://discoverqatar.qatarairways.com/us-en/plusqatar
Old Sep 28, 2017, 12:52 pm

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
Originally Posted by riteshshah
I have a 12 hr layover in DOH, and they are providing me with free transit accommodation at Oryx Rotana. It seems that in these circumstances, bags are automatically tagged through to final destination and there is no option to retrieve them in DOH. Is that correct?
In August , I had a MUC-DOH-BEY flight with at 12hour layover in DOH. The MUC desk was able to short check my luggage to DOH at my request.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 8:14 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Sorry to resereft this thread but just at HEL en route to CNX with a 23 hour layover and they wouldnt allow me to short check to Doha even after request to speak to the Qatar Staff rather than Swissport.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
so what is the time/layover hours when the would allow one to have luggage short checked? (Have a 2 day stopover coming up....) Is there anything written in the small print at QR?
Old Oct 1, 2018, 10:42 am
R2

In IATA language a stopover is a break of journey greater than 24 hours and anything less is a transit. I don't know but that could be the rule for QR also.
crackjack and nilsfr69 like this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 6:37 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by nilsfr69
so what is the time/layover hours when the would allow one to have luggage short checked? (Have a 2 day stopover coming up....) Is there anything written in the small print at QR?
ive been told different things by various QR agents in the last 24 hours, HEL QR agents said the layover has to be over 24 hours to get luggage back, Twitter QR support initially agreed and then in a subsequent reply said you can ask for your luggage to be short checked at your origin, agent in DOH said they would charge to get a bag if less than 24 hours but there is an exception for if you need to get medication (theyll only allow you to get the medication not the bag) and you have to be accompanied by a member of Security, a baggage handler and a QR agent. So QR cant even agree amongst themselves.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.