Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sale Fares Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2018, 6:11 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Come on, DME-BKK at 1300€? That’s not too bad.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 7:34 am

Programs: qatar airways platinum
Originally Posted by onlysuites
No decent sale for ages now. I really think they will hold off from doing those amazing sales again due to them struggling.
But some of their fares were way too good. Look at the sake fare where so many changed embarkation from AMS to LHR due to departure time changes. Those sort of fares are never going to be sustainable.

It's just frustrating that the good fares in the Ł1000 to Ł1500 range are either none existent or extremely targeted. I have always paid more but it would be nice to see the odd sale.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 3:02 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by celtic_warrior
But some of their fares were way too good. Look at the sake fare where so many changed embarkation from AMS to LHR due to departure time changes. Those sort of fares are never going to be sustainable.
The sake fare was an error fare. It was only briefly available and QR had advertised the return for 1,300€ (IIRC) while it sold the Y return for 650€. It was only during a brief period that business was sold for that price. Whether unintentional EF or intentional EF (as in "creating lots of good publicity) will remain a secret.

There were, however, a lot of regular (and published) business fares that weren't sustainable (e.g. The cheap fares to AKL and Australia).
Old Oct 31, 2018, 4:02 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by WorldLux
The sake fare was an error fare. It was only briefly available and QR had advertised the return for 1,300€ (IIRC) while it sold the Y return for 650€. It was only during a brief period that business was sold for that price. Whether unintentional EF or intentional EF (as in "creating lots of good publicity) will remain a secret.

There were, however, a lot of regular (and published) business fares that weren't sustainable (e.g. The cheap fares to AKL and Australia).
I think I saw a write up by HeadForPoints (or maybe another blog) that they had confirmation from QR management that the sake fare was a mistake that they chose to honour, for which several of us on this forum should be grateful, me included.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 4:04 pm

Does QR ever do any business class sales ex-USA around Thanksgiving/Xmas at all?
Old Nov 1, 2018, 12:23 am

Programs: BAEC back to silver, Flying Blue Silver
Originally Posted by more4less

The Exclusive Business Class offer ex Spain to BKK is 2879€, go figure...
I deleted yesterdays e-mail but I remember AMS-BKK was almost 2200,- euros. A far cry from the 1300-ish fares that QR frequently promoted only a few years ago
Old Nov 1, 2018, 3:56 am

Programs: BA - Gold
Originally Posted by WorldLux
The sake fare was an error fare.
Was the Satay Fare an error fare also?
Old Nov 1, 2018, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
While it's true that we aren't seeing the great sale fares we used to see, they obviously weren't going to last forever, blockade or no blockade. For example, during the last sale I got several tickets CMB-PHL roundtrip in J for ~$1,250. Obviously that fare wasn't sustainable and couldn't last forever.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 6:58 am

Maybe QR’s strategy was all along to create a long term willingness among J travelers to pay more (1,5-2k) for a superior J product, in enticing us with non sustainable 0,8k-1,4K fares first, fueled by the blockade as well as business needs?
Old Nov 1, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: BAEC back to silver, Flying Blue Silver
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Obviously that fare wasn't sustainable and couldn't last forever.
None of these fares lasted very long (let alone forever), they were usually available for very brief periods multiple times a year.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 11:31 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by Great_circle

None of these fares lasted very long (let alone forever), they were usually available for very brief periods multiple times a year.
and often were companion fares.

Also LH/LX offer cheap Biz and First companion fares, and in the last few years I would say that they have increased the frequency of the offers.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 2:59 am

Programs: BA Gold; Virgin FF; United Airlines; American Airlines; and was frequent c/c churner - RIP!
I keep hoping for a 'bargain' business offer from Qatar to work towards retaining BA Silver. The ex-EU to SE Asia via Doha giving 560 tier points is a big lure, but only at the right price - and as many people are saying the prices are not right at the moment. Let's hope for something more positive in November and/or January.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 7:28 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
What do you all not like about DME-BKK for a little less than 1300 EUR or what it was? I don't get it. (Except maybe the visa issue if you can't find a good connection to DME.)
Old Nov 2, 2018, 7:35 am

Programs: BA Gold; Virgin FF; United Airlines; American Airlines; and was frequent c/c churner - RIP!
Exactly that.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: BA GGL, FB Plat
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
What do you all not like about DME-BKK for a little less than 1300 EUR or what it was? I don't get it. (Except maybe the visa issue if you can't find a good connection to DME.)
DME is not really ex-eu, why:

- not in schengen
- not even in eu
- worries about how to stay airside w/o visa
- experience with russian administrative

i Am expecting somewhat same experience as transiting in TUN ot Egyptian airports qr used to serve before blockade.

And if it is different in reality, too bad russia is not doing anything in promoting tourism/travel.

Personally i would jump immediately on this fare, if it was from hel/arn/cph and other usual suspects.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.