Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sale Fares Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2019, 7:56 pm

Programs: QRPC-Silver & Star-Alliance
I find it hard to understand QR's apparent slight-obsession with ex-Stockholm, if the route is not profitable then they should explore switching to different frequency or slightly-smaller aircraft, IMO it may be a distraction for them from the higher-volume routes where they have more volume to shoot for ?

I also wonder whether this current promotion is merely a contingency-plan off-the-cuff response, to the current Etihad Sale ? Which might explain the (IMO, so far) unexciting prices, and the expectation that we're all going to be wowed, when they give us double the previously-devalued Qmiles as an incentive ?

Maybe I'm too cynical.
SullyofDoha and Traveller999 like this.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 11:01 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
If there is a slight-obsession then it's shared with all OW, as ARN and OSL are often the cheapest departure points for both US and Asian destinations. What seems to be more specific to QR is SOF, followed by BEL and BUD.

I'm not complaining at all for this last sale as I got a very decent price out my second airport of choice, just two hours away by train. BA lost an almost guaranteed sale for this.
Of course I would like to see back PEN from EDI at 900, TYO from BRU at 650 (I still regret to have missed this one) or the amazing AKL from PSA at 1400 eur, that offered me the chance to send my mother to NZ without breaking the bank... but this sale isn't that bad. IMO
Old Sep 11, 2019, 1:56 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Richard Bell
I find it hard to understand QR's apparent slight-obsession with ex-Stockholm, if the route is not profitable then they should explore switching to different frequency or slightly-smaller aircraft, IMO it may be a distraction for them from the higher-volume routes where they have more volume to shoot for ?
I think prestige and route network building both play into what QR decides to do with routes almost as much as profitability does.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 3:58 am

Programs: QR Plat
Originally Posted by Richard Bell
I find it hard to understand QR's apparent slight-obsession with ex-Stockholm, if the route is not profitable then they should explore switching to different frequency or slightly-smaller aircraft, IMO it may be a distraction for them from the higher-volume routes where they have more volume to shoot for ?.
The Stockholm route has two things going for it: strong Y demand, and limited competition from direct flights (almost all destination require a transit).

Add to that Swedish companies have lousy travel policies (from employee perspective) and relatively few Swedes buy business or first class tickets for personal travel (this is slowly starting to change though).

The result is a a mismatch between the number of economy and business seats - hence the regular offers. In the past QR mainly flew 787s (with around 8% of seats in J). However they have gradually started flying more A359s (~12% business), which is a bit odd.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 5:09 am
R2

To add to the previous comments re: ARN. It was traditionally an AY stronghold on flights to Asia and they are defending their market share. Relative to the size of the market, there are surprisingly many companies operating widebody jets to/from ARN: QR, EK, SQ, TG, TK...even Ethiopian. Hence the oversupply of Premium capacity. The QR flights I have taken ex-ARN have been pleasantly unbusy in C.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 6:01 am

Programs: QRPC Plat; Marriott Plat; Hilton Gold
Let's not forget cargo loads on these routes which justify using the equipment
Old Sep 11, 2019, 7:53 am

Agree with Lefly. Fares out of SOF are often really, really good. The other day I had a SOF-BKK for 4 pax price (on Qatar's website) for 4900 USD. That is pretty unbeatable.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by gregorio1
Agree with Lefly. Fares out of SOF are often really, really good. The other day I had a SOF-BKK for 4 pax price (on Qatar's website) for 4900 USD. That is pretty unbeatable.
What planes do they use on that route?
What is the business class hard product like?
Thanks mate.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by Aston100
What planes do they use on that route?
What is the business class hard product like?
Thanks mate.
I believe SOF - DOH is always A320, which is a recliner seat!
Old Sep 11, 2019, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by Passportinonehand
I believe SOF - DOH is always A320, which is a recliner seat!
I thought a320 business class was lie flat?
Old Sep 11, 2019, 9:11 pm

Programs: QR Plat
Originally Posted by R2
To add to the previous comments re: ARN. It was traditionally an AY stronghold on flights to Asia and they are defending their market share. Relative to the size of the market, there are surprisingly many companies operating widebody jets to/from ARN: QR, EK, SQ, TG, TK...even Ethiopian. Hence the oversupply of Premium capacity. The QR flights I have taken ex-ARN have been pleasantly unbusy in C.
Adding to the ARN discussion. The depreciation of the SEK is another explanation for the low prices out of Stockholm. The SEK has last around 15% to the EUR and 30% to the USD in the past 5 years.

AY's position in Sweden remains strong especially for business travelers to East Asia (China, Japan and Korea - the main destinations for corporate travelers), as it saves a lot of time. For example: ARN to PVG takes 10h 35m with AY and 15h with QR. To SEA - the final destination of many economy passengers - QR's time disadvantage is much less.

A bit off topic but maybe still interesting is that AY is the European airlines with the 2nd most flights to China per week (after LH).
Old Sep 11, 2019, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by Aston100
I thought a320 business class was lie flat?
One some routes the A320 has the new fully lie flat, but (most) ones from SOF are the old domestic business class which recline ~45degrees unfortunately.
Aston100 likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 2:22 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
I just tried the UPTO5OFF mobile discount. On a fare costing 3200USD it saves me 12 dollars. LOL
armouredant likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 7:47 am

Programs: QR Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Just received a new message from Qatar Airways. Is it just me or does it look like the additional offers they mentioned were not mentioned in their first email?

Earn double Qmiles and much more Earn double Qmiles across all cabins for travel by 30 September 2020. Make your travel even more rewarding by choosing one of three additional offers: Save up to 10% or earn an additional 4x bonus Qmiles* or earn 3x bonus Qpoints*, the choice is yours. Register by 30 September 2020 or at least 24 hours prior to travel, whichever is earlier.
The 3x Bonus Qpoints is particularly useful for those who want to retain Platinum/ Oneworld Emerald status.

Found several decent offers out of ARN to HKG or MNL for less than 1600 Euros netting around 120x3 = 360 Qpoints

Any direct routes or Open Jaw caught your attention in Biz?
Thetember 2020 or at least 24 hours prior to travel, whichever is earlier.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by Fromager
Any direct routes or Open Jaw caught your attention in Biz?
Thetember 2020 or at least 24 hours prior to travel, whichever is earlier.
The best one around as far as I know is BEG-HKG for 1000 EUR (even less with UPTO5OFF), wide availability. BEG-DOH is on A321, recliner seat, though. R/T earns 120 points without bonus.
Fromager likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.