FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qatar Airways | Privilege Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club-644/)
-   -   Sale Fares Discussion (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club/1868118-sale-fares-discussion.html)

surryson Jan 2, 2018 6:16 am

Looks like something brewing either starting on 5th or 7th Jan

CAWineNerd Jan 2, 2018 9:00 am

Originally Posted by surryson (Post 29239240)

What makes you say that? (hoping to learn how to read tea leaves myself)

divrdrew Jan 2, 2018 12:27 pm

Any Idea of J Fare Sales from the US?

We managed to get two J tickets from IAH to SIN last January during the fare sale for around $1500 each. I see some pretty inexpensive coach seats, but all J is coming back in the $6k-7k range per ticket. Any chance that we see the lower prices like we had last year sometime soon?

kl1987 Jan 2, 2018 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by surryson (Post 29239240)

I'm thinking the 8th.

Basis for my prediction is as follows:
- There is usually a global sale early in January
- Desperate as I am for a J flight (I've got serious J flight withdrawal) I checked most countries' QR pages and it seems as though all have some current sales and the last one ends on the 7th
- Lastly hope 😉

Melissa Barnes Jan 3, 2018 2:21 pm

I've been reading the QR forum for the past few days and hoping (fingers crossed!) that I'll be able to pick up a good J deal ex-EU to Australia (ideally MEL) in an upcoming sale. I've been reading that it is highly likely there will be a sale coming up in the next few days or so. However, my travel dates are for Christmas 2018 - these are flexible but I know there will be blackout dates probably from around 14/15Dec to 11 Jan 2019 I'd guess. Given that we are still so early in the year and at the moment on the QR website the last return date available is the 27Dec, this is likely to be in the blackout period. If I want to travel after that date what are my best options? Is the best option to pay a bit more for a more flexible fare that I can change when dates in Jan are available, or maybe just wait for another sale later in the year? I normally travel around the fri of the first week of Dec and back on NYE, but thinking I might go a little bit later in Dec and stay into Jan this time.

Dr. HFH Jan 3, 2018 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by Melissa Barnes (Post 29246054)
I've been reading that it is highly likely there will be a sale coming up in the next few days or so.

Whoa! You do understand that that is pure speculation, right? May well happen (works for me, too), but don't plan based on it until it's announced.

orbitmic Jan 3, 2018 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by Melissa Barnes (Post 29246054)
I've been reading the QR forum for the past few days and hoping (fingers crossed!) that I'll be able to pick up a good J deal ex-EU to Australia (ideally MEL) in an upcoming sale. I've been reading that it is highly likely there will be a sale coming up in the next few days or so. However, my travel dates are for Christmas 2018 - these are flexible but I know there will be blackout dates probably from around 14/15Dec to 11 Jan 2019 I'd guess. Given that we are still so early in the year and at the moment on the QR website the last return date available is the 27Dec, this is likely to be in the blackout period. If I want to travel after that date what are my best options? Is the best option to pay a bit more for a more flexible fare that I can change when dates in Jan are available, or maybe just wait for another sale later in the year? I normally travel around the fri of the first week of Dec and back on NYE, but thinking I might go a little bit later in Dec and stay into Jan this time.

if you want a cheap sale fare to your destination and are flexible but want to stay till January, your best option is very likely to wait for a sale that will certainly include your dates at some point. Those sales are frequent.

Richard Bell Jan 4, 2018 1:40 am

There's similar speculation, about a New Years' Sale, over on the Emirates sub-forum.

It might perhaps take a move from Emirates or Etihad to kick-off the usual Sale-season this year, however I'd expect Qatar to respond quickly once they do, within 24-48 hours ?

If only to defend 'their' business from the competition ?

Melissa Barnes Jan 4, 2018 1:40 am

Oh, I understand it may not happen and it would actually suit me if it didn't just yet, especially with the dates I'm looking at, but if it did happen there's always the dreaded fear of missing out! My plans are completely flexible as I'll be heading home to spend Christmas with my family and work are flexible in terms of dates as well, so I'll have a look and see what there is if there is a sale.

florens Jan 4, 2018 7:14 am

Originally Posted by Richard Bell (Post 29248026)
There's similar speculation, about a New Years' Sale, over on the Emirates sub-forum.

It might perhaps take a move from Emirates or Etihad to kick-off the usual Sale-season this year, however I'd expect Qatar to respond quickly once they do, within 24-48 hours ?

If only to defend 'their' business from the competition ?

I suspect a sale needs more preparation than just 24-48h, so I'm not sure QR could react that swiftly to a global sale of either of their competitors.

Melissa Barnes Jan 4, 2018 7:17 am

I actually got an email from QR this morning about a sale ex-ARN inc
J to AKL from 20799 SEK
J to SYD from 20,999 SEK

Book by 8th Jan for flights 31 Oct.

No good for me and prices aren't that much lower than what could be booked pre-sale.

etiene Jan 4, 2018 8:38 am

I see there's another code available [which may or may not actually do much for individual searches] - I assume there's no way to check fares with this code outside of the QR site? In other words: would need to use matrix/Google to find something decent, then take a gander on QR to see if the code has any effect...?

Originally Posted by florens (Post 29248798)
I suspect a sale needs more preparation than just 24-48h, so I'm not sure QR could react that swiftly to a global sale of either of their competitors.

I assume the speculation was that QR would have their sale prepared and ready to go, and would loose it in response to EK or EY launching theirs [possibly with some retaliatory tweaks]... Thus a quicker response is possible.

Richard Bell Jan 4, 2018 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by florens (Post 29248798)

Understood, but QR would naturally have their response ready-to-roll, for something which we've seen in previous years too ? So actually plenty of time in which to prepare it.

ExpatSomchai Jan 5, 2018 10:52 am

TBH the last few years there has been hype prior to the sale. A bit of a warm up and then the speculation starts

WorldLux Jan 5, 2018 11:00 am

Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai (Post 29254179)
TBH the last few years there has been hype prior to the sale. A bit of a warm up and then the speculation starts

There's a post on vielfliegertreff saying that the Global Travel Boutique sale will start 01/09 and you'll be able to book until 01/16.