Old Apr 16, 2018, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Seat54
Inaugural Flight Wiki:

Flight Number // FT username // Seat Number // Connecting from/to
QR324 : lost_in_translation : classified : QR874 (DOH-CAN)
QR323 : seat54 : 7K : QR831 (BKK - DOH)
QR324 : seat54 : 7K : QR946 (DOH - SIN)
Print Wikipost

The CWL (Cardiff) Master Thread

Old Apr 14, 2019, 10:14 am

I thought that Qatar was hesitant to cut any route before the 2022 World Cup - especially with the blockade still in effect.

It's always been clear that the 'subsidy' is Ł1,000,000 spread over two years. And it's not a cash subsidy, but a marketing one.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 5:48 am

I think the yield must be pretty good though - am doing a flight back in May from Singapore and am on KLM - Qatar was very expensive - a lot more than their London flights!
Old Apr 15, 2019, 6:27 am
NoY

Programs: SQ, EY, QR, BA, ITA, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott
Originally Posted by TravelDream
I thought that Qatar was hesitant to cut any route before the 2022 World Cup - especially with the blockade still in effect.

It's always been clear that the 'subsidy' is Ł1,000,000 spread over two years. And it's not a cash subsidy, but a marketing one.
Haha! You can bet your life that the majority cash was/is used for anything but 'Marketing"@:-)
Old Apr 23, 2019, 2:14 am

Programs: qatar airways platinum
Well on my recent return from CWL Economy was 99% business was 50% of the first flight and 80 % on the second. Hopefully not just the Easter effect.
Old May 8, 2019, 12:15 am

Programs: BA, KL, DL
My flight CWL-DOH a few days ago had 1 customer in business and around 50 in economy...
Old May 8, 2019, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by seattle29
My flight CWL-DOH a few days ago had 1 customer in business and around 50 in economy...
wow that is really poor.
Old May 8, 2019, 7:59 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

CAPA reports that they will be increasing the frequency of CWL-DOH (?)
Old May 8, 2019, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by clubeurope
CAPA reports that they will be increasing the frequency of CWL-DOH (?)
Surely that's referring to changing from the winter (5 weekly) to summer (daily) schedule?

It seems the loads are very variable. I've been on extremely quiet flights and quite busy flights. However, the CAA statistics are the figures that need to be looked at, not these anecdotal stories. The March figures should be out soon.
clubeurope likes this.
Old May 8, 2019, 10:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Out of curiosity, does CWL have full airline catering facilities (such as kitchens etc) or does QR bring the catering from other airports?
Old May 9, 2019, 3:35 am

Originally Posted by Schwann
Out of curiosity, does CWL have full airline catering facilities (such as kitchens etc) or does QR bring the catering from other airports?
I would have thought the latter.
Old May 13, 2019, 9:31 pm

Well, March figures are out from the CAA.

A total of 6106 used the route. There were 22 flights that month which makes an average of 139 on each flight and a load factor of 55%. That's basically exactly the same as February where the load factor was 54%. Let's hope for a better April.

On a non-QR note, 14,912 (an average of 241 each way daily) flew to AMS on KLM which is up 29% on last year. The route is obviously not taking passengers on KLM which is a positive.
MM00LL2 likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by TravelDream
Well, March figures are out from the CAA.

A total of 6106 used the route. There were 22 flights that month which makes an average of 139 on each flight and a load factor of 55%. That's basically exactly the same as February where the load factor was 54%. Let's hope for a better April.

On a non-QR note, 14,912 (an average of 241 each way daily) flew to AMS on KLM which is up 29% on last year. The route is obviously not taking passengers on KLM which is a positive.
Hasn't KLM increased the number of flights ?
Old May 14, 2019, 10:23 am

Programs: BA, KL, DL
Flew back DOH-CWL this morning. No pax in J and around 80 in Y, so not great again. Good to see a couple of Bristol-based passengers who chose CWL over LHR though.

Spoke to the cabin crew, they all love layovers in Cardiff for shopping and visiting castles, haha.

I have many friends in South Wales who holiday exclusively in the USA/Canada, so QR is useless for them. Many people on my flight had transferred in DOH from BKK and DPS which are both low-yield tourist routes.

I'm sure the route is far better suited to the A321neo, once they take delivery.
Old May 15, 2019, 12:35 am

Programs: BA Bronze! Avis PC
Apologies O/T does anyone know how to get equivalent information for Dublin?
Old May 15, 2019, 2:45 am

Originally Posted by seattle29
Flew back DOH-CWL this morning. No pax in J and around 80 in Y, so not great again. Good to see a couple of Bristol-based passengers who chose CWL over LHR though.

Spoke to the cabin crew, they all love layovers in Cardiff for shopping and visiting castles, haha.

I have many friends in South Wales who holiday exclusively in the USA/Canada, so QR is useless for them. Many people on my flight had transferred in DOH from BKK and DPS which are both low-yield tourist routes.

I'm sure the route is far better suited to the A321neo, once they take delivery.
The airport revealed the most popular destination for QR passengers in 2018 was BKK.

From these anecdotal reports, it appears that loads are incredibly variable. The statistics are provided by the UK Government Civil Aviation Authority, so will be accurate. I wonder what QR load factors are like globally. I have seen reviews online including one where there were just two people in the business cabin of an A380 going to BKK.

I'm sure Cardiff is a lovely layover for crew, especially with the five-a-week operation running currently.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.