Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2018, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Seat54
Inaugural Flight Wiki:

Flight Number // FT username // Seat Number // Connecting from/to
QR324 : lost_in_translation : classified : QR874 (DOH-CAN)
QR323 : seat54 : 7K : QR831 (BKK - DOH)
QR324 : seat54 : 7K : QR946 (DOH - SIN)
Print Wikipost

The CWL (Cardiff) Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2018, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by bmibaby737

I am aware of this fact.

Great

But I think others might not have been. I reckon there were around 25 flights leaving Cardiff for Doha in June: so, using the CAA stats, that suggests an average of around 90 bums on seats through that month. All sorts of caveats about statistics, and my back-of-an-envelope maths

It will be great if the airline manages to increase that performance by the 70-odd percent required to lift it to the 160-170 average passenger load "doing the rounds on the internet" . But perhaps better not to hold your breath .....
Old Aug 23, 2018, 2:44 am

Programs: qatar airways platinum

Thanks! It is a video one rather than the traditionally written FYI.
Ah , I will be departing on the flight you arrive on. I look forward to your report.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 6:22 am

The allocated seats for my flight on Saturday in Econ looks fairly busy. Saying that, if they cant virtually fill a plane over this weekend then they never will from CWL.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Blue, Flying Blue Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by celtic_warrior
The allocated seats for my flight on Saturday in Econ looks fairly busy. Saying that, if they cant virtually fill a plane over this weekend then they never will from CWL.
Expert flyer makes it out to be almost full in biz and econ.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 8:13 am

I might request a seat in row 10 then at check in. At the moment I am in 11 but the aisle seat is occupied. I hate disturbing anyone on a loo break.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 2:21 am
Original Poster

Trip Report, Qatar Airways, Doha to Cardiff.

Old Aug 25, 2018, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Trip Report, Qatar Airways, Doha to Cardiff.

https://youtu.be/dEWbcMbLxHY
Thanks for that - I spend more time in economy than business-class, so it's refreshing to see trip reports reflecting the experience of the vast majority of travellers.

About the bear: the artist produced three of them, another yellow and the third blue. The Doha one cost Qatar's royal family just shy of £15 million: no idea if they sold it on to the airport, or donated it, when they found it too big for the living-room.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 3:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Thanks for that - I spend more time in economy than business-class, so it's refreshing to see trip reports reflecting the experience of the vast majority of travellers.

About the bear: the artist produced three of them, another yellow and the third blue. The Doha one cost Qatar's royal family just shy of £15 million: no idea if they sold it on to the airport, or donated it, when they found it too big for the living-room.
Thanks for watching, I’m really glad you enjoyed the report and it’s certainly motivation to go on producing them!

£15 Million for that bear!? If you’d asked me to guess how much it cost, i’d of said maybe £10,000!
Old Aug 26, 2018, 1:10 am

My parents were on QR 321 yesterday (Saturday) morning. The seat map was full when checking their seats. I know that doesn't mean anything though! I haven't asked them yet it it was a full flight. They did tell me they had to wait ages for the bags to arrive in CWL!
When the flew QR 322 last Friday (17th) they said it was roughly half full.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 4:43 am
Original Poster

Cardiff Airport July stats are out.

Doha saw 10,160 passengers which is around 163 per flight and a load factor of 65% (not my calculations but seems about right). For comparison, Birmingham airport saw 12,256 passengers use Qatar for July.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:56 am

Not bad loads I suppose (65% is correct) and Qatar haven't been offering fares from Cardiff any cheaper than anywhere else in the UK (IME) so yield per passenger shouldn't be that different.
For comparison, with 12,256 passengers from Birmingham the load factor was 78% - but that's a more established route.

I mainly worry about this route in the winter. I have a feeling the October/ November/ February/ March load factors will be absolutely dreadful.

Some good news for Cardiff is that passengers on the AMS route with KLM (the only other major connecting airline) are up 14% (raw figures) on July last year and I work out the load factor to be 78% (presuming KLM ran 84 flights in July on the E175) - so it seems that Qatar are generating new passengers/ stealing from other UK airports rather than cannibalizing KLM's passengers.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TravelDream
Not bad loads I suppose (65% is correct) and Qatar haven't been offering fares from Cardiff any cheaper than anywhere else in the UK (IME) so yield per passenger shouldn't be that different.
For comparison, with 12,256 passengers from Birmingham the load factor was 78% - but that's a more established route.

I mainly worry about this route in the winter. I have a feeling the October/ November/ February/ March load factors will be absolutely dreadful.

Some good news for Cardiff is that passengers on the AMS route with KLM (the only other major connecting airline) are up 14% (raw figures) on July last year and I work out the load factor to be 78% (presuming KLM ran 84 flights in July on the E175) - so it seems that Qatar are generating new passengers/ stealing from other UK airports rather than cannibalizing KLM's passengers.
I also feel Jan/Feb/Nov will be a struggle, it is Aussie/South African Summer, so that will be the main draw of the majority of passengers i feel.

Word of mouth seems to suggest it’s a steal from LHR/BHX. Qatar will have some victory if it’s stolen passengers that would normally fly EK/EY, but could of potentially canabilised their own LHR pax.

Old Sep 4, 2018, 1:54 am

Well my two recent flight to and from CWL were packed. 4 spare seats in Econ on Sat 25th August ( 2 Qatari ladies upgraded to Business at check in for £1500.00)

On my return flight today, economy was over sold so they upgraded me to Bus for free. Only 1 seat left in Business.

The girl at check in @cwl told me that in August they were regularly getting 190 pax

My flights to and from Bangkok , both in C were very low loads. 7 in J on the q suites on the 26 August and about 40% full on the A380 on Sunday 2 September.
bmibaby737 likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 1:36 pm

That's good to hear! I've only flow in and out of CWL once. The inbound flight was very quiet, but the outbound flight had a pretty good load. Business also seemed pretty full on that second flight - though on the first flight there were only four in that cabin.

I wait with baited breath to see the CAA figures at the end of the month for August. Hopefully the route can keep this momentum.

It seems like CWL-BKK is the go to route! When I flew out of Cardiff the person in-front of me, next to me and the person arguing over excess luggage were all heading to BKK. I'd be interested to see where passengers actually end up and I imagine BKK would be right up there.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 2:28 am

Originally Posted by TravelDream
That's good to hear! I've only flow in and out of CWL once. The inbound flight was very quiet, but the outbound flight had a pretty good load. Business also seemed pretty full on that second flight - though on the first flight there were only four in that cabin.

I wait with baited breath to see the CAA figures at the end of the month for August. Hopefully the route can keep this momentum.

It seems like CWL-BKK is the go to route! When I flew out of Cardiff the person in-front of me, next to me and the person arguing over excess luggage were all heading to BKK. I'd be interested to see where passengers actually end up and I imagine BKK would be right up there.
Yes, I would imagine BKK is very very popular. it helps that there are 6 flights from Doha to BKK every day so time waits are good. Im waiting for Qatar to start to Danang route. If the prices are good and the stop over times not too long I would consider that route as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.