Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2018, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Seat54
Inaugural Flight Wiki:

Flight Number // FT username // Seat Number // Connecting from/to
QR324 : lost_in_translation : classified : QR874 (DOH-CAN)
QR323 : seat54 : 7K : QR831 (BKK - DOH)
QR324 : seat54 : 7K : QR946 (DOH - SIN)
Print Wikipost

The CWL (Cardiff) Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2018, 1:22 am

Originally Posted by Downunderdesert

the guy is such a clown. He was told continuously from staff CWL will fail. But he reminds everyone that only he, being a male, knows how to run an airline at the right destinations.
Qatar as an airline and a country are currently facing these savage embargoes by their neighbours which impact on their ability to offer Middle East connections, this impacts on passenger loads for sure.
I hope we can be positive and support the CWL flights .
As for the lounge in Cardiff it is pathetic! Yes for some the lounge is important, walker up CWL! But at least we have the amazing lounge in Doha to look forward to.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by celtic_warrior
...Cardiff airport isn't actually in that convenient a location transport wise.

The point is if someone is living in Bristol the travel times are almost the same to Cardiff airport or Heathrow. So then we factor in price. Cardiff is expensive to park at and the business class tickets are either the same or slightly higher from Cardiff. The lounges are worlds apart. Plus you have the choice of 6 flights to depart from at Heathrow compared to 1 from Cardiff. Therefore , if you are flying to a destination such as Vietnam your transit times at Doha will be way less.
I do get all that, and it highlights why Cardiff was not the brightest idea. For some, though, relatively sparse lounging facilities are part and parcel of the delight in using a small, (relatively) faff-free regional airport.

Cardiff shares a substantial catchment area with Heathrow airport, and others. The attraction of Heathrow in terms of frequencies and fares gives it a much greater pull than distance and journey time might suggest. The population for whom Cardiff presents an overwhelming advantage may be significant, but must be very small compared with the potential passengernumbers on the other side of the bridge. Sadly for Cardiff Airport, that potential mass of travellers, and one with a high propensity to travel, comes under the influence of the Heathrow pull.

Cargo/freight is largely immune to that pull, so gives a sunny smile to CWL.

But for passengers, Qatar is competing for those who would otherwise select Cardiff's regional flights to continental hubs for long-haul travel, and passengers who might otherwise use its own services from Heathrow or Birmingham. That current Cardiff-dedicated passengers are wedded to continental hubs through frequent-flyer programmes, more frequent connections and pure habit, makes the situation more difficult for QR.

To get bums on CWL DOH seats, the only real way Qatar can reduce the Heathrow pull is by manipulating fares. But that is likely to reduce still further sector revenue and network profitability by cannibalising higher revenue traffic using Heathrow, turning it into low revenue Cardiff traffic.

Al Baker is disappointed in Cardiff. I'd hope QR's well-heeled shareholders are just a little disappointed in Al Baker - Cardiff is far from the only dud he has launched as his airline faces an existential crisis.
Morgo, Cymro and Schwann like this.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 1:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold
So given the choice would people do Birmingham or Cardiff? BHX is about 40 miles further by car but has easy train access which is useful and I don't have to pay the Severn toll! Prices are the same, flight times are similar. I went out of BHX a couple of weeks ago and have a Cardiff in a couple of weeks time but have to book another trip shortly...
Old Aug 13, 2018, 5:53 am

Programs: qatar airways platinum
Originally Posted by tinkicker
So given the choice would people do Birmingham or Cardiff? BHX is about 40 miles further by car but has easy train access which is useful and I don't have to pay the Severn toll! Prices are the same, flight times are similar. I went out of BHX a couple of weeks ago and have a Cardiff in a couple of weeks time but have to book another trip shortly...
For me it would be cost of travel to and from the airport etc , if flight prices and times were roughly the same.

I have my second QR flight from CWL on the 25th. I will only book 2019 flights if the price is right. As my upcoming flight is on a Saturday, the bus to the airport is free ( another Welsh Assembly cash give away IMO)
Old Aug 13, 2018, 6:18 am

Programs: BA Gold
For me it would be cost of travel to and from the airport etc , if flight prices and times were roughly the same.

I have my second QR flight from CWL on the 25th. I will only book 2019 flights if the price is right. As my upcoming flight is on a Saturday, the bus to the airport is free ( another Welsh Assembly cash give away IMO)
It's pretty much even cost wise on ground transport from here. There is a small price difference now with BHX about Ł150 more than CWL but LHR is now an eye-watering additional Ł2,000. To be honest it's one of those decisions where it's so in the balance it's irrelevant which one I choose. Just curious on others.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tinkicker
It's pretty much even cost wise on ground transport from here. There is a small price difference now with BHX about Ł150 more than CWL but LHR is now an eye-watering additional Ł2,000. To be honest it's one of those decisions where it's so in the balance it's irrelevant which one I choose. Just curious on others.
all else equal, Ł150 is quite a significant kick towards Cardiff.

If prices and schedule are much the same, I don't get the dilemma - just select the best transport option.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
all else equal, Ł150 is quite a significant kick towards Cardiff.

If prices and schedule are much the same, I don't get the dilemma - just select the best transport option.
I agree , save the Ł150.00 and fly from CWL
Old Aug 20, 2018, 8:55 am

When will the passenger figures for July be released?
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:13 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Gold
Usually the last couple of days of the month, for the previous month. I get them from the CAA website in the airport data section.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When will the passenger figures for July be released?
There's a 4 or 5 week lag.

https://www.caa.co.uk/uploadedFiles/...e_Analysis.pdf
Old Aug 22, 2018, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Blue, Flying Blue Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Rumors doing the rounds online are suggesting an average of 160-170 passengers per flight for July.

I’ll have a trip report to share of a DOH-CWL sector on Saturday in Y.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by bmibaby737
Rumors doing the rounds online are suggesting an average of 160-170 passengers per flight for July.

I’ll have a trip report to share of a DOH-CWL sector on Saturday in Y.
Whilst I didn't fly in July... when I flew DOH-CWL a few weeks ago, there were 64 onboard.

Looking forward to the report.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TravelDream

Looking forward to the report.
Thanks! It is a video one rather than the traditionally written FYI.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bmibaby737
That seems unlikely.

For those looking a the CAA stats, remember the passenger figures represent arrivals and departures.
So dividing the number of passengers by 2x the number of fight departures gives the average passengers per movement.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
For those looking a the CAA stats, remember the passenger figures represent arrivals and departures.
So dividing the number of passengers by 2x the number of fight departures gives the average passengers per movement.
I am aware of this fact.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.