Old Apr 16, 2018, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Seat54
Inaugural Flight Wiki:

Flight Number // FT username // Seat Number // Connecting from/to
QR324 : lost_in_translation : classified : QR874 (DOH-CAN)
QR323 : seat54 : 7K : QR831 (BKK - DOH)
QR324 : seat54 : 7K : QR946 (DOH - SIN)
Print Wikipost

The CWL (Cardiff) Master Thread

Old Apr 5, 2018, 2:07 am

A350 v 787

Based on the scientific advantage of reduced cabin pressure of course.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 2:22 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Rogerpt
Based on the scientific advantage of reduced cabin pressure of course.
The A350 is typically pressurised to the same level (6,000 ft) as a 787, so no difference between the two .

Over time I've definitely come to prefer the QR A350, having at first slightly preferred the 787 due to the smaller cabin (all this only applies to J as I've never actually flown QR Y...). With the A350 the trick is to sit as far forward as possible I find as the bigger J cabin slightly detracts from speed of service otherwise.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 1:13 am

Some good award availability for Cardiff early August when I want to fly back to the UK next.

Will book this flight in July for my family to go back to Swansea.
We will all return to DOH together at the end of August and as it'll be in economy I need to decide if its worth taking the dreadful 787 economy seats or better to drive further to LHR for the far more spacious A380?!
Old Apr 10, 2018, 1:22 am

Dreamliner from CWL or A380 from LHR

Well, 3 hours extra on the M4 , if it is flowing well, would not be a great trade in. Stick to Cardiff, it is important we support this route, make it more popular and we may get an A380 !
the inaugural flight has already switched to an A350
Old Apr 10, 2018, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by Rogerpt
Well, 3 hours extra on the M4 , if it is flowing well, would not be a great trade in. Stick to Cardiff, it is important we support this route, make it more popular and we may get an A380 !
the inaugural flight has already switched to an A350
Sorry, I should have mentioned that all my family are in Bristol, with my wife's in Swansea. So when we travel together we always go to and leave from Bristol (because its closer to LHR).
I probably will book the return from Cardiff as I've avoided the 787 economy for a while now. Maybe its not as bad as I remember!
Old Apr 10, 2018, 2:17 am

Programs: qatar airways platinum
I am on the inaugural flight. Sadly currently in economy, but hoping for a cash upgrade offer.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Blue, Flying Blue Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by Ben_W
Some good award availability for Cardiff early August when I want to fly back to the UK next.

Will book this flight in July for my family to go back to Swansea.
We will all return to DOH together at the end of August and as it'll be in economy I need to decide if its worth taking the dreadful 787 economy seats or better to drive further to LHR for the far more spacious A380?!
Without sounding biased (being this threads creator). I would take the 787 into Cardiff as a time saver. The flight would unlikely be full and you'd have a good chance of being able to spread out a little. I also think the seat width that is 1 inch smaller than the A380's is a little bit over exagerated - it's half a inch etheir side which isn't noticeable.

I had the same dillema as you for this coming may but as I live closer to Cardiff than LHR (towards Swansea) I will be in the house a lot sooner!
Old Apr 12, 2018, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by bmibaby737

Without sounding biased (being this threads creator). I would take the 787 into Cardiff as a time saver. The flight would unlikely be full and you'd have a good chance of being able to spread out a little. I also think the seat width that is 1 inch smaller than the A380's is a little bit over exagerated - it's half a inch etheir side which isn't noticeable.

I had the same dillema as you for this coming may but as I live closer to Cardiff than LHR (towards Swansea) I will be in the house a lot sooner!
I think I'll give it a go!

Have enough air miles to fly to CWL in J and there is availability in early August, then I will fly back with the family in economy. As you said hopefully the flight wont be too full so will be able to spread out a little.
I would also prefer to use my miles to try the Q-Suites but there is just no availability right now.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 2:16 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by celtic_warrior
I am on the inaugural flight. Sadly currently in economy, but hoping for a cash upgrade offer.
Looking at the less than half full J cabin currently you'll hopefully be in luck
Old Apr 12, 2018, 5:46 am

Programs: qatar airways platinum
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Looking at the less than half full J cabin currently you'll hopefully be in luck
fingers crossed
Old Apr 12, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: BAEC
I wonder if any VVIPs that come from DOH on the inaugural flight will travel back on the same bird, or will they scuttle over to London and get a Qsuites from there? Or they might even hang around and enjoy a lamb and leek pie, caerphilly cheese, and some bara brith?
Old Apr 12, 2018, 12:35 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by plunet
I wonder if any VVIPs that come from DOH on the inaugural flight will travel back on the same bird, or will they scuttle over to London and get a Qsuites from there? Or they might even hang around and enjoy a lamb and leek pie, caerphilly cheese, and some bara brith?
If there are any VVIPs that come over, expect a raft of new route announcements including SWS, VLY and CEG - as well as a 49% investment in the re-launched Air Wales

M
Old Apr 12, 2018, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by plunet
Chief at least will be staying for the inaugural gala.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 12:00 am

Programs: EK Platinum, BA/SQ Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by celtic_warrior
I am also on the flight with two friends both inbound and outbound.
Travelling BKK-DOH-CWL-DOH-SIN
I have also moved myself to 7K as I like that on the 359

See you on board
Old Apr 16, 2018, 1:35 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
I've added a WIKI for those of you on the Inaugural Flight to use (obviously no pressure if you'd rather not).

Please add your flight number, to help ascertain which direction you'll be flying, FT username and seat number (if desired).

If someone fancied taking some photos too, that would be very kind!

M

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.