Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2018, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Seat54
Inaugural Flight Wiki:

Flight Number // FT username // Seat Number // Connecting from/to
QR324 : lost_in_translation : classified : QR874 (DOH-CAN)
QR323 : seat54 : 7K : QR831 (BKK - DOH)
QR324 : seat54 : 7K : QR946 (DOH - SIN)
Print Wikipost

The CWL (Cardiff) Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2018, 11:45 pm

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by bmibaby737

Thanks for sharing your experience. Someone on the Cardiff Airport support facebook group just came in on todays flight. He said it was about 50% over both cabins. This route will just need some time to mature and get going. Cargo is also half the reason this flight exists and that Qatar have a liquid gas terminal in Milford haven.

With regards to quality of the lounge, I think it will never be LHR or CDG but if it can match the other regional airports Qatar serve that would be good. Hot food is coming in a months time. Al Baker is currently holding a press conference in cardiff city.

Would you use it again?
Honestly, probably not at the moment. I'm not really the target market though as I live in London! Pricing is currently similar to ex-LHR departures despite LHR offering a materially better experience (both on board hard product and on the ground), would maybe consider traveling out to CWL if they dropped the prices quite a bit, which I feel like they might have to do at some point if they want to keep the flight going. Possibly would use it for redemption flights if availability remains good.

I actually thought the CWL lounge compared fairly favourably to a lot of other QR European secondary outstation lounges (OSL, ARN, etc.). Problem is, that's not what the flight is competing with, LHR and even BHX offer a much better ground experience currently, I think.
Old May 3, 2018, 12:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Blue, Flying Blue Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Honestly, probably not at the moment. I'm not really the target market though as I live in London! Pricing is currently similar to ex-LHR departures despite LHR offering a materially better experience (both on board hard product and on the ground), would maybe consider traveling out to CWL if they dropped the prices quite a bit, which I feel like they might have to do at some point if they want to keep the flight going. Possibly would use it for redemption flights if availability remains good.

I actually thought the CWL lounge compared fairly favourably to a lot of other QR European secondary outstation lounges (OSL, ARN, etc.). Problem is, that's not what the flight is competing with, LHR and even BHX offer a much better ground experience currently, I think.
That's fair enough, thanks for sharing your experience!
Old May 4, 2018, 5:12 am

Programs: qatar airways platinum
Loved the trip. Great to see all the airport staff and qatar staff being really enthusiastic.

The Cawl in the lounge was nice, but they definitely need more hot options. I did think they could have served the food they served at the gate in the lounge.
Old May 4, 2018, 5:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by celtic_warrior
Loved the trip. Great to see all the airport staff and qatar staff being really enthusiastic.

The Cawl in the lounge was nice, but they definitely need more hot options. I did think they could have served the food they served at the gate in the lounge.
thanks for sharing, I did read hot food is coming inside of a month on a Cardiff Airport online forum...
Old May 4, 2018, 7:46 am

...even BHX offer a much better ground experience currently, I think.

That's a useful benchmark, thanks.
Old May 8, 2018, 2:32 am

Just flew back in. The flight had maybe 10 J passengers and 25 in economy. Hopefully more people will start using the route. Im hoping the fact it is a Tuesday is a contributory factor to the low passenger numbers.
Old May 8, 2018, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by celtic_warrior
Just flew back in. The flight had maybe 10 J passengers and 25 in economy. Hopefully more people will start using the route. Im hoping the fact it is a Tuesday is a contributory factor to the low passenger numbers.
Interesting. allegedly, tomorrows DOH-CWL could have up too 14 J pax and 90 Y pax. Better than todays!
Old May 8, 2018, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Honestly, probably not at the moment. I'm not really the target market though as I live in London! Pricing is currently similar to ex-LHR departures ...... (I) would maybe consider traveling out to CWL if they dropped the prices quite a bit, which I feel like they might have to do at some point if they want to keep the flight going.
But that's a major problem: Cardiff loads growing by diverting higher yield traffic from London (and Birmingham). By starting this new service they've increased the cost of serving the UK market significantly, but it's not clear that the market will increase to soak up the additional capacity.

The difficulty for yield managers is maximising the revenue from those willing to pay top-whack for the convenience of a Cardiff departure, while stimulating the market with attractive fares.
Old May 9, 2018, 1:50 am

Cardiff has quite a few Qatari students. I wonder if they were a factor in deciding to open this route?

IMO the only way the route can become viable is to to syphon off customers who would normally travel to London or Birmingham. Qatar offers an excellent product in all classes.
Old May 9, 2018, 1:52 am

Originally Posted by bmibaby737

Interesting. allegedly, tomorrows DOH-CWL could have up too 14 J pax and 90 Y pax. Better than todays!
Way better and fairly respectable. I did notice that several of the J passengers on my flight had also been on my outward flight.

I have another flight booked from Cardiff at the end of August and hope to book a good J ticket for next Easter( though its too early to do that)
Old May 15, 2018, 9:42 am

What's happening with the Cardiff flight?

I've got a flight from Cardiff booked leaving Cardiff on a Sunday in August. However, I saw on another site that several flights had been pulled and CWL was operating just a few times a week through the summer.

Checking on the Qatar website the Sunday flight has been pulled from Cardiff throughout August (meaning my flight has also been pulled).

Qatar haven't communicated with me about changing my flight though.
Old May 16, 2018, 12:00 am

Programs: BA, KL, DL
Flights are not bookable from 1 JAN 2019, and the QR website offers CWL-EDI-DOH-X with a flybe codeshare.

Hopefully not a sign of things to come!
Old May 16, 2018, 12:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TravelDream
What's happening with the Cardiff flight?

I've got a flight from Cardiff booked leaving Cardiff on a Sunday in August. However, I saw on another site that several flights had been pulled and CWL was operating just a few times a week through the summer.

Checking on the Qatar website the Sunday flight has been pulled from Cardiff throughout August (meaning my flight has also been pulled).

i also saw this on another forum. Guess we'll just have to wait for the annoucement. My friday flight in June remains unaffected.
Old May 16, 2018, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by TravelDream
What's happening with the Cardiff flight?...

....Checking on the Qatar website the Sunday flight has been pulled from Cardiff throughout August (meaning my flight has also been pulled).

Come on! This is Qatar Airways

They have history ....

Bangkok UTP to be abandoned ?
Old May 16, 2018, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Come on! This is Qatar Airways

They have history ....

Bangkok UTP to be abandoned ?
panic over! Flights have been restored and Cardiff Airport put it down to a glitch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.