Upgrade Frustrations... Options/advice?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2017, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, QR Silver, Accor, BA
Upgrade Frustrations... Options/advice?

Howdy all,

So, I'm having some problems with upgrading my flight. Here's the story so far:

Two weeks ago, I booked two different tickets: one for myself (LHR-BKK/MNL-BHX), and one for my girlfriend (MNL-BHX/BHX-MNL). My ticket is for a 10-day period in mid/late September, while hers is for coming back to the UK with me in September and then flying home in January. Because her trip is visa-dependent, I used my airmiles to book her ticket.

Before booking either flight, I made sure to do my homework: I ensured that the flight I was about to book from Manila to the UK had at least two award tickets available by checking on the Qatar site as if making a booking for two with airmiles.

I booked the 00.40 flight from Manila, arriving BHX 12.20 the same day. I used 106,000 airmiles to book my girlfriend business class on the way to UK, economy return (she hates flying, and has never flown business). She was over the moon when she saw the booking was in business!
I have 60 Qcredits and wanted to use them, so I booked my economy saver return at the same time. And now, here's where I made my mistake. I made the upgrade request online.

24 hours after making the upgrade request, with no news, I checked again, and it was still X1 miles for business for that flight. Great.
The next morning, 36 hours after the request, I get an email: sorry, request has been declined, there are no seats available. I check online: business class has suddenly gone X2 for that flight. However, no additional seats have been booked according to the seat map. I called right away, and the agent does nothing much helpful, other than putting the request through again, and my flight now shows as a ghost booking in business and confirmed in Y.

After a week, I called again, they put through the request again, tells me to call in 24 hours.
Call again, 24 hours later, no luck. Told that they haven't got to it yet, but there's still hope, call back in 48 hours.
Call again after 48 hours (today). Still no availability. Told to call in a week. I explain that it's less than a month until the flight, and therefore it's obvious nothing will open up - also, a few more seats have now been booked in J on the MNL flight. Economy has also gone X2 miles now, so I can't even downgrade my girlfriend for a partial miles refund.

One thing has changed though: the flight times. Departure Manila is now 00.15, arrival in BHX pushed back 1h25m to 13.45. Am I right in thinking that this gives me the right to cancel the flight on the grounds that it [potentially] no longer meets my schedule requirements?

There is another flight I "could" rebook to in business for both of us, except it arrives Monday, which means using another day of annual leave, which I don't want to do. I am honestly willing to cancel both flights and rebook on CX out of principle (they have better lounges anyway!)... the flight would cost the same for me (Ł700), although of course it would cost me another Ł500+ for my girlfriend's ticket. This is clearly QR's fault because they are being bureaucratic about the award availability - their computer algorithm obviously decided it was time to lessen availability right when my request got to the agent. I'm playing by the rules, and they aren't willing to help me out. Lesson learnt - just call the booking centre over the phone immediately, don't wait 36 hours for the glacial awards team to get to it.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do/have more success with this request? It's really frustrating, I've taken 61 flights with QR since 2009, never received an op-up, often booked more expensive semi-flexible tickets (saver/value), and saved miles fastidiously, using them only when they're about to expire. In fact, I was always saving them for a honeymoon business-class ticket with my (now ex-) girlfriend (unfortunately things didn't work out after 6 years). So I'm finally using them to treat my girlfriend of 2 years, and now get this from QR... feels like a slap in the face. For sure I won't earn enough points to be more than Silver next year, so if QR aren't willing to sort this out, I'll burn my 200k miles on another trip and switch to CX or SQ. Qatar economy is no better than anyone else now, and I'd rather pay more to fly with a better airline...

Last edited by InternationalLiving; Aug 28, 2017 at 7:59 am
Old Aug 28, 2017, 8:18 am

I doubt you'll get a refund on the basis of the re-timing.

The usual advice on the various call centres is to keep trying until you find someone helpful or empowered. That said I've never had to deal with Privilege Club, only CX, who are very variable in helpfulness between agents.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 8:41 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond
While it might not be an ideal solution, I have a feeling you may have more success if you just try upgrading the MNL-DOH leg for a start.

I fly a similar route a lot (but from CRK as opposed to Manila) - in the last 3 years never been refused an upgrade from CRK-DOH or vice versa. If I had to guess, I imagine your current holdup is with availability with the more 'premium/mainstream' route from DOH-BHX - which might only become available closer to time, as QR has significantly more chance of filling that cabin with paying pax vs DOH-to or from the Phils.

Of course, upgrading both legs together results in less qmiles/qcredits spend. But with 60 qcredits - if you have no further use for the rest of them, you can probably manage to upgrade the legs individually (Aas I recall its 35 qcredits CRK-DOH (I assume MNL as well), then 25 qcredits DOH-BHX.

So you could try upgrading the MNL-DOH now, then trying it on closer to the time for the BHX leg (even at the airport).

As mentioned, just an idea but you might at least get some partial success.

Last edited by Kwanger; Aug 28, 2017 at 8:58 am
Old Aug 28, 2017, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kwanger
While it might not be an ideal solution, I have a feeling you may have more success if you just try upgrading the MNL-DOH leg for a start.

I fly a similar route a lot (but from CRK as opposed to Manila) - in the last 3 years never been refused an upgrade from CRK-DOH or vice versa. If I had to guess, I imagine your current holdup is with availability with the more 'premium/mainstream' route from DOH-BHX - which might only become available closer to time, as QR has significantly more chance of filling that cabin with paying pax vs DOH-to or from the Phils.

Of course, upgrading both legs together results in less qmiles spend. But with 60 qcredits - if you have no further use for the rest of them, you can probably manage to upgrade the legs individually (Aas I recall its 35 qcredits CRK-DOH (I assume MNL as well), then 25 qcredits DOH-BHX.

So you could try upgrading the MNL-DOH now, then trying it on closer to the time for the BHX leg (even at the airport).

As mentioned, just an idea but you might at least get some partial success.
That's great, thanks for the suggestion I have a feeling that the problem is the MNL sector, as that cabin is half full, whereas the BHX flight has only a few seats showing as booked so far.
I did search from CRK, but connections from Cebu are not as good, and the flight timings on the Sunday didn't work either unfortunately....
Old Aug 28, 2017, 9:01 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond
Out of interest, what are you using to check seat availability - expertflyer? I've found accuracy to be a bit variable when it comes to Qatar to be honest - don't know if I'm not using it correctly or what but rarely seems to correlate with what I actually see on the plane come boarding time.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 9:31 am
Original Poster

I've been using Qatar's own website (although confirmed with Expert Flyer). Because my girlfriend is already booked into J, I can see the seatmap from QR as well...
You are correct though, often you don't actually see all the seats that are booked until OLCI.

EDIT: I've checked and can confirm it's the MNL-DOH sector which is X2, which is even more frustrating as it's a 10-hour flight at midnight and so much more the better flight to upgrade.

Last edited by InternationalLiving; Aug 28, 2017 at 9:42 am
Old Aug 28, 2017, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by InternationalLiving
One thing has changed though: the flight times. Departure Manila is now 00.15, arrival in BHX pushed back 1h25m to 13.45. Am I right in thinking that this gives me the right to cancel the flight on the grounds that it [potentially] no longer meets my schedule requirements?
Unfortunately no. As discussed elsewhere, QR considers any schedule change of under 2 hours as negligible.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Okay, thanks for confirming that's their time window Orbitmic... seems like airlines have very varying windows for this, from 30mins to 12 hours. Unfortunately then I'm just inside Qatar's time window
Old Aug 28, 2017, 1:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others

... connections from Cebu are not as good ...
A Cebuana girlfriend? Excellent choice! Mrs PtF is originally from Cebu - she's an amazing woman. ^
Old Aug 28, 2017, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Okay, thanks for confirming that's their time window Orbitmic... seems like airlines have very varying windows for this, from 30mins to 12 hours. Unfortunately then I'm just inside Qatar's time window
Make it from 1 minute! With some airlines, any nominal change will be considered an acceptable reason for a free flight change (though rarely free cancellation). Unfortunately, QR's new rules are very (I would argue unacceptably) extreme. I have had changes of 1h45 which made my flight times literally impossible because of work commitments, or others where it meant public transportation from the airport would not exist and QR could not care less.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
A Cebuana girlfriend? Excellent choice! Mrs PtF is originally from Cebu - she's an amazing woman. ^
Haha thanks... actually she's from Las Pinas (MM), but spent a lot of her time growing up in Cagayan de Oro. She has been working in Cebu for a short while though, and I'm going to visit her there. I've been once but only for a few days... if you have suggestions please PM me
Old Aug 28, 2017, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Make it from 1 minute! With some airlines, any nominal change will be considered an acceptable reason for a free flight change (though rarely free cancellation). Unfortunately, QR's new rules are very (I would argue unacceptably) extreme. I have had changes of 1h45 which made my flight times literally impossible because of work commitments, or others where it meant public transportation from the airport would not exist and QR could not care less.
Oh dear... must have lucked-out then! I am unfamiliar with these booking terms, never had to look them up until today. Actually one of the CS people sounded like they would be happy to move our flights to a later one, but as I mentioned, that arrives on Monday which is no good for me.
That's not good that QR have made such situations for yourself and others. While I'm not happy about the change (longer layover, later arrival to UK on Sunday) it's probably okay for me; however, if I can make them rebook our flights to UK on CX out of spite, I'd do it. I'm just really annoyed at this point that they are not trying at all to help me out. If my friend still worked for QR PC, I would ask them, but alas, they've moved to greener pastures...
Old Aug 28, 2017, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
... if I can make them rebook our flights to UK on CX out of spite, I'd do it.
Relax. Take a breath. Hate, spite and vindictiveness consume a lot of energy, -- physical, emotional and psychological. And it's unproductive. Is that really how you want to spend your limited time?
Old Aug 28, 2017, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

Ha, good point, not really. Perhaps, between the twelve phonecalls to the electric company for overcharging me and the many days I've spent cleaning up a magically exploding glass dining table (don't buy one!) and the time spent trying to get compensation for said table, the annoying and unhelpful people at QR PC are the last thing I want to add to my list of people wasting my time. It would be nice if for once, people could just do their job and make the customer happy...
Old Aug 29, 2017, 2:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Haha thanks... actually she's from Las Pinas (MM), but spent a lot of her time growing up in Cagayan de Oro. She has been working in Cebu for a short while though, and I'm going to visit her there. I've been once but only for a few days... if you have suggestions please PM me
Suggestions:

- Hotel: either Radisson Blu (convenient for Cebu City) or Shangri-La Mactan - book as far in advance as possible for best rates

- Favourite restaurant: Isla Sugbu Seafood City

- Best shopping mall: SM Seaside City

- A relaxing get away: Bantayan Island

- If you're contemplating marriage, first establish the size of her family (brothers, sisters, etc); you could be in for an expensive time giving financial support to more people than you initially bargained for! Having said that many Filipinas are incredibly family-oriented, loyal, loving and passionate!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.