FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qatar Airways | Privilege Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club-644/)
-   -   No paper towels? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club/1862671-no-paper-towels.html)

PresRDC Oct 9, 2017 12:12 pm

Bathroom Hand Towels in J Class

I vaguely remember QR offering cloth towels in the past, but I may be mistaken.

In any event, the ones they are using now are no thicker than tissue paper and just about useless for hand drying or any other purpose. Plus, because they are so flimsy, good luck trying to get only one or two out at a time. Every time I tried to use one, I ended-up pulling out half the box.

Not sure what they are thinking. Just stupid. Paper towels are fine, but why use ones so flimsy.

Skimo Oct 9, 2017 12:34 pm

I noticed that too. It's a very Arabic thing, favouring facial tissues (you never seem to be more than 2 metres from a box of them in the region!) over paper towels.

anabolism Oct 9, 2017 8:04 pm

Out of my last 6-8 flights on QR in J, only two had any sort of towels in the lavatories, and those were very thin paper (the others had, as noted, several extra boxes of facial tissues). It's always struck me as very odd. I did have one QR flight in F, and that had cloth towels in the lavatory.

makrom Oct 9, 2017 10:17 pm

The dashboard should get an entry for paper towels since this topic keeps popping up.

C17PSGR Oct 10, 2017 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by PresRDC (Post 28911938)

In any event, the ones they are using now are no thicker than tissue paper and just about useless for hand drying or any other purpose. Plus, because they are so flimsy, good luck trying to get only one or two out at a time.

It's a Middle East thing ... even in high end hotels and restaurants.

I won't go into the not so high end places!

plunet Oct 11, 2017 1:41 am

There could be a workaround for the terrible tissues (first World problem lol) for J passengers.

On my most recent sake flights back from Tokyo via Doha to Brussels there appeared to be a new addition to the amenities in the A350 J toilets - a Rituals alcohol based 'soap free' hand-wash gel - up on the same shelf where the smelly spray sits. Although it was initially a bit sticky on the hands it dried off quite quickly and left a pleasant mint based fragrance on your hands and was a useful alternative to hand washing.

The hand-wash gel was definitely not present in the J toilets on our outbound flights to Tokyo so perhaps this is a new addition for October?

UAuhoh Oct 11, 2017 4:28 am

Originally Posted by Skimo (Post 28912044)
I noticed that too. It's a very Arabic thing, favouring facial tissues (you never seem to be more than 2 metres from a box of them in the region!) over paper towels.

Not related to any cultural preferences. A purser told me they switched to tissue paper as passengers were throwing the thicker paper towels into the toilets and on some planes (notably some Airbus models) it was creating a clogging problem. This resulted in affected toilets being out of commission for the rest of the flight.

Abyssin Oct 11, 2017 4:57 am

F lavatories still have cloth towels .....is this means that F pax are not throwing it into the toilets :))

UAuhoh Oct 11, 2017 5:10 am

Originally Posted by Abyssin (Post 28919126)
F lavatories still have cloth towels .....is this means that F pax are not throwing it into the toilets :))

Not talking about cloth towels, just the thicker paper towels (which have been removed from the biz class toilets on some planes). Only an idiot would throw a cloth towel into the toilet.

plunet Oct 11, 2017 6:53 am

Originally Posted by UAuhoh (Post 28919150)
Not talking about cloth towels, just the thicker paper towels (which have been removed from the biz class toilets on some planes). Only an idiot would throw a cloth towel into the toilet.

And we can make the assumption that there are no idiots in F? :eek:

UAuhoh Oct 11, 2017 7:29 am

Originally Posted by plunet (Post 28919380)
And we can make the assumption that there are no idiots in F? :eek:

I never assume anything but I guess there aren't enough of them (idiots) that QR feels it must remove them from the F class toilets.

UAworldwide Oct 11, 2017 10:33 am

There did used to be cloth hand towels, thicker paper towels, and the tissues (and there was a thread when it changed to all tissues).

Seems at that time it was decided too many plumbing problems from the cloth and thicker paper ending up in the toilets, so they moved to all tissues.

QR said at the time they would find a solution and switch back, but seems to be yet a solution found.

remdk Oct 11, 2017 11:41 am

This topic has previously been discussed on https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qata...er-towels.html and starting at post 417 on https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qata...ems-qr-28.html. Useful information can be found there.

WorldLux Oct 11, 2017 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Abyssin (Post 28919126)

F lavatories probably have better suction! :D

Or it's simply because F cabins are smaller which reduces the number of users. If you have 100 passengers using one Y lav, whereas an F lav will probably have 10 users.

UAworldwide Nov 30, 2019 11:26 am

Haven't flown QR in about 2 years, today my first flight since then, but I was happy to see full paper towels today in the First class toilets, as well as cloth towels (and tissues). So, it looks like the issue is resolved!