Wiki Posts
Search

Maximising Qpoint accrual

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2017, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ
Originally Posted by makrom
Yes I see the advantage of blocked rows for frequent long range Y flyers, though it's useless when not flying with QR.
I never really understood Qcredits, I find it very hard to put them to good use, but I think that might be because I hardly ever book Y tickets with QR. Basically I end up with upgrading a single leg for 35 Qcredits and let the other 25 go to waste, effectively getting no benefit from Plat over Gold.
Compared to AA's complimentary upgrades, these benefits are pretty benign.

The only Platinum benefits that matter to me are getting 100% instead of 75% bonus Qmiles and not having them expire. I take it as a nice little extra, but I don't see it as a huge step up from Gold.
Compared to that, going from Silver to Gold matters way more. Complimentary lounge access for all OW flights, not having to pay for baggage on no baggage fares, 75% instead of 25% Qmiles, those things really make a difference.
Yes I agree - Gold is the critical level, where the real benefits start to kick in as you describe. While QR Gold may not be the best, in my case it is much better than MH where you only get 25% bonus miles and no upgrade benefits.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 4:47 pm
zsc

Programs: QR Silver / BA Silver
Originally Posted by MKE-MR
Well, yes, lounge access is a nice bonus, but I believe there's a whole thread on Platinum status. For me:

- rows blocked so I can sleep in economy on every flight with low loads
- personal greeting (don't care) AND advance choice of meal prior to departure (quite nice)
- QCredits for upgrades

It's not a long list, but given the amount of time I spend in Y, it pays off. If I were primarily a J flyer I'd probably feel it wasn't worth it.
Thought I'd add my experience - after being downgraded to Silver, I still get the above benefits except the Qcredits, so in my opinion they aren't exclusive to Plat.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by zsc
Thought I'd add my experience - after being downgraded to Silver, I still get the above benefits except the Qcredits, so in my opinion they aren't exclusive to Plat.
edit: nevermind

Last edited by makrom; Aug 6, 2017 at 5:37 am
Old Aug 5, 2017, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Not sure about the row blocking as this isn't 100% transparent, but do you really get Qcredits as Silver?
I think he's saying that he doesn't as Silver
Old Aug 6, 2017, 5:03 am

Originally Posted by minz56
I think he's saying that he doesn't as Silver
Damn, grade A reading comprehension fail.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 3:06 pm
zsc

Damn, grade A reading comprehension fail.
Actually, I meant the latter, i.e. row blocking happens for me despite having been downgraded to Silver just recently.

Case in point - two flights with medium loads, KUL-DOH/DOH-LHR, flew around two weeks ago, the row I was occupying was blocked out from ticket purchase until flight date. How I know? ExpertFlyer.

So the only thing I didn't receive from that list above is the Qcredits. I have been greeted without fail and given the opportunity to choose my meal before departure on the 4 flights I've taken in the past month (same route).
Old Aug 7, 2017, 2:28 am

Originally Posted by zsc
Actually, I meant the latter, i.e. row blocking happens for me despite having been downgraded to Silver just recently.

Case in point - two flights with medium loads, KUL-DOH/DOH-LHR, flew around two weeks ago, the row I was occupying was blocked out from ticket purchase until flight date. How I know? ExpertFlyer.

So the only thing I didn't receive from that list above is the Qcredits. I have been greeted without fail and given the opportunity to choose my meal before departure on the 4 flights I've taken in the past month (same route).
Sorry, I wasn't addressing you with that. I blamed myself for not being able to understand what you wrote.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 5:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zsc

zsc ... do they block out the seats without you asking?
Old Aug 7, 2017, 5:57 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite / LH Senator / KL Gold / QR Gold
The benefits of any status with QR is that you have access to the front seats of the economy class (still not access to bulkhead and exit row seats) and that they will block the seat next to you.

As a gold member I have only seen one seat block besides me, not the entire row (e.g. in a 787 or A350 3-3-3 seating)
Old Aug 10, 2017, 9:57 pm
zsc

Sorry, I wasn't addressing you with that. I blamed myself for not being able to understand what you wrote.
No worries my post was also written in a relative haste, it took me a while to understand what I wrote when I re-read it too.

Yes, they do that without you asking. I've never asked for a row/seat block before.

Originally Posted by hotwingz
The benefits of any status with QR is that you have access to the front seats of the economy class (still not access to bulkhead and exit row seats) and that they will block the seat next to you.

As a gold member I have only seen one seat block besides me, not the entire row (e.g. in a 787 or A350 3-3-3 seating)
I have had a whole row blocked out for me both Y flights I took two weeks ago, both on the 3-4-3 seating 777. I had my family booked into the row in front, so essentially we had 7 seats to ourselves. QR was definitely unaware of their presence because I booked them on a separate PNR.

On the second flight though, a man decided to swap himself into my blocked row, despite me knowing that it was my row to be had. Usually we'd only move around once the aircraft doors are closed - but this man was adamant, so decided not to kick up a fuss and let the man have it.

This was the mid-section by the way, as my family does not have status, so no row 14-20 seating.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 5:23 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Expedia Gold, British Airways Silver, Club Carlson Gold
Hmmm just wanted to thank the people in this thread for good information. Not too much good tips on the internet. Happy to see I stumbled across the "solution" for Qpoints accrual: Cathay Pacific. Just ordered a RT OSL-LHR-HKG-SGN which give 100 Qpoints in premium economy if I remember correctly. That's quite a lot considering we only got 130 QP BRU-DOH-NRT last year in biz with QR themselves. This trip will secure my QR good and I am happy to see people are satisfied with their gold memberships 😃 happy travels.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 10:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, QRPC Silver
Originally Posted by zsc
No worries my post was also written in a relative haste, it took me a while to understand what I wrote when I re-read it too.

Yes, they do that without you asking. I've never asked for a row/seat block before.

I have had a whole row blocked out for me both Y flights I took two weeks ago, both on the 3-4-3 seating 777. I had my family booked into the row in front, so essentially we had 7 seats to ourselves. QR was definitely unaware of their presence because I booked them on a separate PNR.

On the second flight though, a man decided to swap himself into my blocked row, despite me knowing that it was my row to be had. Usually we'd only move around once the aircraft doors are closed - but this man was adamant, so decided not to kick up a fuss and let the man have it.

This was the mid-section by the way, as my family does not have status, so no row 14-20 seating.
I'm platinum and have not had seats blocked since 2016 even on flights that were not busy
Traveller999 likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 9:27 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, Star Alliance Gold (LH Sen)
Originally Posted by spec119
I'm platinum and have not had seats blocked since 2016 even on flights that were not busy
Same for me - it never did happen in the past 5 years (4 years Platinum)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.