Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qatar Airways US General Tariff?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2017, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Qatar Airways US General Tariff?

Airlines that travel to/from the US are required to provide their "general" tariff -- a comprehensive listing of important rules, including rights of both airline and passengers -- anywhere where tickets are sold, which for modern airlines means online. Some airlines do. Examples: AA tariff, Delta tariff.

So far as I can tell, Qatar Airways does not publish its US tariff. I found its Canada tariff but not the US version.

Anyone know where to get it? Qatar Airways staff seem to be unfamiliar with this document or the legal obligation to provide it to passengers upon request. I've had no luck obtaining it from them.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

an example of when tariff matters

For an example of why this might matter:

Tariff defines Infant as follows: "A PERSON WHO HAS NOT REACHED HIS/HER SECOND BIRTHDAY AS OF THE DATE OF COMMENCEMENT OF TRAVEL" (Canada tariff page 9). Under that definition, a passenger who is <2 on first flight, but turns two at some later point before completion of travel, can nonetheless use an infant fare at 90% off of adult fare.

In contrast, Qatar's web site repeatedly states that infant fares are based on the age as of each flight sector. See [url=https://www.google.com/search?q=infant+site%3Aqatarairways.com&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8\Google search for infant site:qatarairways.com[/url]. Representative pages: "An infant younger than 2 years old (at the time of departure for each flight during the course of the journey) may travel on an adult's lap with the purchase of an infant ticket." source

The Tariff provision is thus more favorable to passengers. And in the event of a conflict between the official governing Tariff, versus some random web page Qatar happened to post, the former surely prevails. Nonetheless, this requires that passengers obtain the tariff -- and that Qatar honor the tariff and follow it, notwithstanding some supposed policy purportedly to the contrary.

But of course there are numerous other subjects that the tariff discusses with superior clarity and specificity -- rights in case of changes, how journey durations are calculated, you name it. 113 pages of detail!
Old Jul 6, 2017, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
From the DOT website:
Electronic Tariffs are available for public viewing by appointment at DOT headquarters. Please contact Della Davis at (202) 366-2432 or via email at [email protected] or Bernice Gray at (202) 366-2418 or via email at [email protected] for an appointment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.