Search

QR J award availability?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2017, 8:57 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
QR J award availability?

I'm looking to fly DOH-BOS on an award in the second week of July. I'm seeing "lots" (i.e. 9+) seats on every day and then ... it just cuts off on Thursday July 7. No availability beyond that, but on EF, the loads aren't any heavier - still J9+ on every single day.

I'm guessing it maybe has to do with weekends and so on, but what have people's experiences been - does QR release space closer in, or will they fly the front cabin half/quarter empty?

Also - as a QR Gold, any chance of an opup (on an award)? I'm guessing not, but thought I'd ask. I'd use my Qcreds, but can't on awards...
Old Jun 24, 2017, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Where are you checking?
BA.com shows DOH-BOS Business Class availability on July 11, 12 and 13.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFO777
Where are you checking?
BA.com shows DOH-BOS Business Class availability on July 11, 12 and 13.
Sorry, you're right, should've been more specific - I needed specifically the 7th, or maaaybe the 8th.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Sorry, you're right, should've been more specific - I needed specifically the 7th, or maaaybe the 8th.
DOH-PHL A350 is available on the 8th... 5 J seats on the 2:15am departure arrives PHL at 9am.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFO777
DOH-PHL A350 is available on the 8th... 5 J seats on the 2:15am departure arrives PHL at 9am.
Yep I saw that one. But that schedule isn't ideal - I have family flying on the DOH-BOS flight and wanted to fly with them... Should've probably planned ahead, but didn't and so they have seats and I don't. Because we're all going onwards after, meeting in BOS isn't an option either so we'd just have to fly separately if I can't get a seat.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm guessing it maybe has to do with weekends and so on
Yes!

As has been mentioned in many other threads, QR rarely releases Fri-Sun J award availability to/from the USA, even when surrounding Mon-Thu J award availability is plenty. I was mostly familiar with the pattern many months out, but your details seem to imply they may have the same pattern closer in too.

You need to do searches for multiple weeks in a row every day of the week to see that pattern. I know you're only looking to go a specific time, but if you want to know if that's the pattern, you have to search multiple weeks, then if the same pattern every week you known you've hit.

Meanwhile, you can do your own search to see if they change that pattern closer in, by check every day between now and then. If they don't ever release J award availability for 30 Jun or 1 or 2 Jul, it's unlikely they will do it for the week later.

Last edited by sdsearch; Jun 25, 2017 at 5:52 pm
Old Jun 25, 2017, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch
As has been mentioned in many other threads, QR rarely releases Fri-Sun J award availability to/from the USA, even though they often release Mon-Thu J award availability.
I see. Not even close in with low loads?

Monitoring this week's weekend and though loads are low, not seeing any space come up. Guess I should give up hope more or less.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 4:46 am

You can always try calling the QRPC hotline. The closer you'll get to the flight date, the more likely they'll open up award space for you (as long as there is enough availability, obviously).
Old Jun 26, 2017, 4:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by makrom
You can always try calling the QRPC hotline. The closer you'll get to the flight date, the more likely they'll open up award space for you (as long as there is enough availability, obviously).
Really? QRPC meaning what, the usual Qmiles priority line? I called to upgrade one of my segments and they said I have to send an email to the Service Centre because "that's what we would do anyway". Am I calling somewhere wrong? Heh.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 5:27 am
Suspended

It seems to me that award availability at QR is a complete random process.
I have been able to score upgrades to (A380) F and grab the last available seat 3 month prior flight.
Whereas I can't upgrade a sector to J for a next week flight, where
- There are still at least 9J seats on sale
- I receive a paid upgrade offer
- There is award availability on BA site

Go figure
Old Jun 26, 2017, 5:43 am

Really? QRPC meaning what, the usual Qmiles priority line? I called to upgrade one of my segments and they said I have to send an email to the Service Centre because "that's what we would do anyway". Am I calling somewhere wrong? Heh.
Just checked, the official name seems to be "Priority Service", the number can be found in the QRPC dashboard under "Contact Centre" -> "Contact Us".
Don't know whether they'll be able to help you directly. It likely depends on the country you are calling, and probably on what call center, maybe even the very person you are talking to. QR isn't exactly the company with the most streamlined processes, especially when it comes to customer interaction.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 5:44 am
Original Poster

Just checked, the official name seems to be "Priority Service", the number can be found in the QRPC dashboard under "Contact Centre" -> "Contact Us".
Don't know whether they'll be able to help you directly. It likely depends on the country you are calling, and probably on what call center, maybe even the very person you are talking to. QR isn't exactly the company with the most streamlined processes, especially when it comes to customer interaction.
I've only ever tried calling the Qatar office (from that link); should I try elsewhere? I thought they all just routed to a single call centre out of Bangalore somewhere anyway.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 6:21 am

I've only ever tried calling the Qatar office (from that link); should I try elsewhere? I thought they all just routed to a single call centre out of Bangalore somewhere anyway.
No, there definitely are different call centers, depending on where you are calling from, and to some degree when you are calling. The service you experience can vary quite a bit from one call center to another.
I don't know the exact parameters. What I can say from my experience is that Doha is generally more capable to help than most outposts.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 6:22 am
Original Poster

No, there definitely are different call centers, depending on where you are calling from, and to some degree when you are calling. The service you experience can vary quite a bit from one call center to another.
I don't know the exact parameters. What I can say from my experience is that Doha is generally more capable to help than most outposts.
Understood. I'll give it a go again when I'm a week out or so, see if I can get anything to happen. Thanks!
Old Jun 26, 2017, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Incidentally, is there any chance of a SDC? There's space on the same day earlier flight that JUST connects to the DOH-BOS of the previous day (00:05->0530, 08:30~) straight through in J. What are my chances to beg the station manager to move me to the, say, 09:30 which would misconnect and place me onto the _next_ day DOH-BOS? Or alternatively, once I land in DOH, any chance of convincing the staff there to let me overnight? Assuming no award space but wide open revenue space and, once again, QR Gold, for whatever that's worth.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.