QR award/upgrade availability

Old Jun 11, 17, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR Platinum
QR award/upgrade availability

I am increaingly disappointed by (non)availability of reward/upgrade opportunities. Meanwhile non Q2 (double Qmiles) awards on QR booking site are an endangered species. To give a data point I looked at DOH-BKK in F (QR836) for June 15th, QR website shows Q2 whereas BAEC shows 8 award seats for this flight and also EF shows (all) 8 seats as being available. What are they doing? Having an attractive FFP with Qcredits and a lot of Multiple-Qpoint-Promos is one thing but if you cannot spend these for awards/upgrades they are useless. I am Plat and they promise you better availability but there is no transparency. I could upgrade on a DOH-MEL flight late in the year but only after I complained (first answer was No), I want transparency and a fair chance to use my Qcredits and Qmiles.
Old Jun 11, 17, 11:33 am

Programs: QR Gold, BA silver
Starting three months before departure, you can request to open up award availability, most answers I have got so far for various flights are yes, as long as they are not super popular routes like LHR. You can do this as many times as you want and it doesn't really count as complaining.

As the flight is 5 days away with all seats unsold, theres a very high chance that they will open it up for you.

Good luck!

Last edited by TheDinge; Jun 11, 17 at 7:47 pm
Old Jun 11, 17, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QR Platinum
Originally Posted by TheDinge View Post
Starting three months before departure, you can request to open up award availability, most of the answers I have got so far for various flights are yes, as long as they are not super popular routes like LHR. You can do this as many times as you want which doesn't really count as complaining.

As the flight is 5 days away with all seats unsold, theres a very high chance that they will open it up for you.

Good luck!
Thank you! But this is not exactly my point and I am aware that I can do what you suggest. What I dislike is this complete intransparency and that QR puts you in the role of a petitioner rather than having a fair and transparent system in place. How can it be after all that BAEC shows 8 available award seats for a QR flight while QR shoes none?
Old Jun 11, 17, 7:51 pm

Programs: QR Gold, BA silver
Originally Posted by toz100 View Post
Thank you! But this is not exactly my point and I am aware that I can do what you suggest. What I dislike is this complete intransparency and that QR puts you in the role of a petitioner rather than having a fair and transparent system in place. How can it be after all that BAEC shows 8 available award seats for a QR flight while QR shoes none?
That's such a first world problem

I personally have lived most of my life in technologically less advanced, and also bureaucratic countries- it seemed normal that I need to request and go through length, un-user friendly procedure until I moved to the UK.

I am not saying QR is right but it is what it is. I think that's the fundamental issue why QR grounds are so terrible, but nonetheless, enjoy!
Old Jun 12, 17, 6:47 am

Programs: QR Platinum (OWE), TK Classic Plus, Taj Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Hilton Gold
You're right @toz100, award availability is quite bad and the whole system is opaque. On the other hand most airlines don't have nearly as many Qpoint promos as Qatar Airways. So you give some, you lose some. However, I much rather they have fewer promos (so all of us would have fewer miles) but more award availability so that we can use our (fewer) miles for award redemptions.