Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Who already travelled during this closing airspace period?

Who already travelled during this closing airspace period?

Old Jun 8, 17, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Question Who already travelled during this closing airspace period?

Who already travelled business class long haul during this closing airspace period?
How is service in business class now?
Is there a cut down regarding food and other amenities on board?
Old Jun 8, 17, 10:57 am

Didn't notice any difference. Didn't eat in the lounge, but plane food was as always.
Old Jun 8, 17, 11:15 am

Programs: QR Gold, BAEC, Marriott Rewards Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by BRUNOREM View Post
Who already travelled business class long haul during this closing airspace period?
Flew BKK-DOH-LHR 2 days ago, the day after it was announced. No difference at all in the onboard food, drink & service which was excellent as usual, why would there be?
Old Jun 8, 17, 12:03 pm

Programs: American Executive Platinum, Delta, Alaska, Hyatt, SPG
Came back from Cairo Tuesday after an overnight stay in Doha. Other than no alcohol being served at the lounge, due to Ramadan, everything was fine. The food, the ground service, and the on air service were all outstanding.
Old Jun 8, 17, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why would you expect such issues generally?

I would expect issues only on those flights which had to become much longer due to detours needed to avoid closed airspace, such as south to Africa. Ie, would they cater enough food/etc because the flight is much longer than scheduled?
Old Jun 9, 17, 2:56 pm

Typing this from the oryx rotana. - all I can say is "business as usual" apart from Ramadan and slightly longer flight times
Old Jun 9, 17, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

I flew DOH-BRU this morning. The only difference was the route (over Iran, Azerbaijan and the black sea). If you didn't have the moving map open you would not notice.

I am aware that the DOH-KRT route is now too long to be operated by an A320 family aircraft and so a 777 has been subbed-in. It must be the biggest aircraft at KTM in a while. But I think that is the only route that has been severely affected.

Last edited by Calchas; Jun 10, 17 at 7:44 am
Old Jun 9, 17, 6:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AY Platinum, DL PM, TK Classic+
Originally Posted by Calchas View Post
I am aware that the DOH-KTM route is now too long to be operated by an A320 family aircraft and so a 777 has been subbed-in. It must be the biggest aircraft at KTM in a while. But I think that is the only route that has been severely affected.
I think you mean KRT (Khartoum, Sudan), not KTM (Kathmandu, Nepal) which has not been affected by the airspace restrictions?
Old Jun 9, 17, 7:22 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Krisflyer Gold
2 trips through Doha to Tokyo and back since the ban was imposed, and, were it not for keeping an eye on the news, I would have had no idea that anything at all was amiss - on the ground or in the air.
Old Jun 10, 17, 1:08 am

Programs: BA GFL, BA GGL, IHG Spire, HH Diamond
BHX-DOH-KWI on Monday as the ban was announced. Rtn KWI-DOH-CPH Thursday. No difference to the service etc. Lounge in Doha was quieter than normal, but I put that down to Ramadan.
Old Jun 10, 17, 1:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Flew BCN-DOH-CTU on Wednesday 7th, J class service and food/drinks were as normal onboard and in the airport. To echo other posters, unless you were watching the news you wouldn't know about the political situation (with the noted exception of flights to the affected countries).
Old Jun 10, 17, 2:05 am

KUL - DOH - LHR day after it kicked off, 1 hour delay on QR003, but nothing noticeable apart from the slight detour coming into and out of DOH
Old Jun 10, 17, 2:40 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL/CCR, QR Insider, SQ Gold, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
For those who have mentioned the various cancellations on flights to/from KUL, I am advised this is due to exceptionally low loads.

With both countries having many Ramadan observers, passenger numbers were very low.

Couple that to the fact that it is the low-season / no school holidays / no public holidays, and you can begin to see the pattern.

M
Old Jun 10, 17, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by DALtoAAL View Post
I think you mean KRT (Khartoum, Sudan), not KTM (Kathmandu, Nepal) which has not been affected by the airspace restrictions?
Yes, my apologies.

gcmap.com has a nice picture of some of the diversions.
Old Jun 10, 17, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT & 4.28 MM, QR PLT, SPG LT PLT
Just got off 744 from BOS. 11 hours flight time, less than usual. I don't think that routings to/from North America are really affected at all. HIA is like a ghost town.

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: