Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Qatar Airways - UAE, KSA, Bahrain and Egypt withdraw licenses and close airspace

Old Jun 5, 2017, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: plunet
Wiki last updated: 21 July 2017 18:00 UTC

Summary of key traveller experiences and feedback on this forum since Mid-June
  • Policy statement (link) for the travel industry issued 15th June 2017
  • Refund is always an option, but very varied experiences of how quickly the refund is processed, from a few days to "still waiting". Some experiences of passengers being pressurised into taking refunds when this is not necessary if you can wait.
  • If you want to reroute from a closed destination to another middle east destination still served by QR, you might be able to do this as early as 30 days from 1st sector, although we have had reports of rerouting at 6 weeks out.
  • Where QR have to reroute onto other carriers, long haul reroutes typically onto BA, CX and TK seem to be quoted most often. In the Gulf region ME, KU, WY are quoted most often. Although RJ is a OneWorld carrier and should be a parter for QR, they are not accepting QR rerouted tickets.
  • Status of reservations for travel to affected destinations typically changes to "Unconfirmed" 7 days ahead of travel.
  • If your booking was via a 3rd party or agent you probably can't get Qatar to change the ticket until 72 hours before the first sector. 3rd parties and agents seem to be offering refunds rather than rerouting, although there has been some success if you can show them the QR rebooking policy document.
  • There has been a very mixed bag of reports of how QR are handling rebooking. Some people have no luck getting itineraries changed before 72 hours before departure, but others do. So some good advice is to always be polite but if you don't get what you want, then thank the agent for their time and HUACA (hang up and call again) - preferably after you have had a drink and have calmed down, and maybe calling a different office.

Some specific data points from other travellers:
(but there is a lot more valuable information if you can trawl back through the thread)

#753 CAI-LHR-DOH been offered as alternative for ex-CAI 4 days prior to 1st sector.
#772 KUL-DOH-LXR reroute to CAI and IST refused
#792 AUH-DOH-DPS by QR rebooked to DXB-HKG-DPS by CX
#794 Australia-DOH-HBE rebooked as DOH-BEY on QR on 2nd attempt.
#808 CAI>DOH>BOS>DOH>CAI rebooked to KRT and date change
#818 SYD-DOH-CAI changed to SYD-DOH-KWI-CAI, layovers optimed and +Qatar stopover
#830 and #840 Economy ICN-DOH-DXB rebooked onto CX ICN-HKG-DXB
#849 ex-CAI ininaries changed to ex-AMM but needed to HUACA a few times.
#856 CAI-DOH-BKK changed to FCO-DOH-BKK all on QR
#868 DFW-DOH-HBE changed to DFW-DOH-LCA all on QR 2 weeks out.
#906 Unable to get LXR-DOH-HKG-BNE rerouted until 72 hours prior
#927 CAI-DOH-BKK rebooked onto CAI-BAH-AMM on Gulf DOH-BKK (on QR) and return back to AMM
#966 DXB-DOH (award ticket) was changed to DXB-KWI-DOH on Kuwait+QR 48hrs in advance
#966 DOH-CAI (2 award tickets) were changed to DOH-BEY on QR 48 hours advance
#966 CAI-DOH-MUC (paid business) were changed to BEY-DOH-MUC 72 hours advance
#981 HKT-DOH-DWC (J/F tix) change to HKT-DOH-KWI all on QR 10 days out.
#985 ex-LXR ticket rerouted by OTA as CAI-BEY-DOH outside the 72 hr window
#1004 BKK-DOH-CAI in F rebooked as BKK-DOH-BEY in QR F, BEY-CAI in C on ME
#1005 HEL-DOH-DXB rebooked HEL-DOH-MCT on QR and MCT-DXB on Oman once ticket status went to unconfirmed.
#1057 MAN-DOH-DXB rebooked as MAN-LHR-DXB on BA (had to HUACA 3 times)
#1141 Multiple ex-CAI itineraries CAI-DOK-BKK return in J, CAI-DOH-LHR return in J, CAI-DOH-BKK single in F changed to all be ex-KWI. Had to HUACA 3 times.
#1157 LXR-DOH-NRT booked in January, flight changed to CAI-DOH-NRT
#1172 Rebooked CAI-(F)-DOH(J)-BKK to CAI-(C/ME)-BEY-(F)-DOH-(C)-BKK at 77hrs from departure
#1173 Rebooked at QR office HBE-DOH-DPS to HBE-IST-DOH-DPS on TK/TK/QR and improved timing on DOS-DPS segment

Offical guidance from QR website as of mid July:

Passengers who have purchased their tickets from Qatar Airways have the following options to refund their tickets:

For tickets booked on qatarairways.com, they can:
  1. Go to Refund requests;
  2. They can approach their nearest Qatar Airways Office; or
  3. They can call the Qatar Airways contact Centre at +974 4022 0072
For tickets booked through a Qatar Airways Office or through the Contact Centre, passengers can
  1. Contact their nearest Qatar Airways Office; or
  2. Call Qatar Airways Contact Centre on +974 4022 0072
The refund will be made to the original form of payment and the refund will be processed within 14 - 28 days.
Passengers who have purchased their Qatar Airways tickets through a Travel Agency can request their refund from the issuing Travel Agent.
Within the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, UAE, Kingdom of Bahrain and Egypt please use: https://refundsapp1.blueivysync.com/...er-refund.html

This is a different web form as the Qatar website is blocked from some of these countries.
For further information and FAQs please visit: http://support.qatarairways.com/hc/e...002369667-FAQs
What Happened

On the 6th of June flights from Qatar to Bahrain, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates (and vice versa) were suspended.

This includes all Qatar flights between Doha and Abu Dhabi, Abha, AlexandriaBorg el Arab, Bahrain, Buraydah, Cairo, Dammam, DubaiAl Maktoum, DubaiInternational, Gassim, Hofuf, Jeddah, Luxor, Madinah, Ras Al Khaimah, Riyadh, Sharjah, Tabuk, Ta'if and Yanbu.

Adding to this at 00:00 (UTC) on the 6th of June restrictions were put in place limiting flights to Doha to one particular corridor through the airspace of Bahrain. This has since been relaxed to two specific corridors through Bahrain airspace with a second corridor up the Saudi Arabia the new addition.

All other flights to other Qatar Airways destinations including the Maldives are still operating although some have delays due to the extended time required to avoid restricted airspace.

There are a couple of routes that are having to make fuel stops in Athens or Muscat but this seems to be dependent on the type of aircraft as well.

Details on the Airspace can be found here - https://www.flightradar24.com/blog/f...ain-and-egypt/

What about my Flights to other destinations?

Flights to Europe, Asia, Pacific and Norte America are operating as per schedule with minimal delays. There is no need to contact QR regarding these services.

Flights between Doha and Souto America are facing delays due to longer times and/or need for a technical stop-over. Flights to GRU and EZE are 2hr to 5hrs longer.

Flight between Doha and Africa/Middle East have longer flights times due to the airspace restrictions. Some routes like Doha to Khartoum have felt the full force of the restrictions with the flight now taking 2hr 30 mins longer than normal.

Qatar has begun to re-time flights to ensure the network continues running smoothly. Changes have been since Monday 12 June 2017, so it is advised to check your flight status and times on the Qatar website.

What about my flight to a suspended destination?

If you are due to fly in the next few days, search for alternative routings and note them down.

24 hours before your scheduled departure time, contact your LOCAL QR office, and ask for their assistance. Advise them that you have found an alternative routing which you would be willing to accept and see if they will book it for you.

If you are due to fly more than 5 days from today, try and relax. Do not panic and please do not call QR as you are blocking the lines for those flying in the next 24 hours. At this stage, Qatar is only offering options to those who are traveling in the next 24 hours.

Currently, people in the thread have suggested that Qatar is rebooking on flights through Muscat, Kuwait, Amman, Istanbul, Mumbai, Beirut, Athens and Tunis.

You can only get a refund if your booking is to one of the destinations listed at the top! (The number of people asking QR on Twitter for a refund of other flights is amazing)

What about other airlines?

Most other carriers in and out of Doha are still operating except for Air Arabia, Air Arabia Egypt, Air Cairo, EgyptAir, Emirates, Etihad, FlyDubai, Rotana Jet and Saudia.

Most other carriers are using the new restricted routes into Doha although provided the aircraft is not registered in Qatar they are allowed to use the Saudi Arabia or Egypt Airspace.

Timeline of Events:

5 June 2017

- UAE, KSA, Bahrain and Egypt withdraw licenses and close airspace
- All MS flights between CAI and DOH was zeroed out
- All GF flights between BAH and DOH closed for sale
- All QR flights between DOH and CAI closed for sale
- All QR staff travel was canceled

6 June 2017

- Airspace Restriction came into effect at 00:00 (UTC)
- All QR flights between DOH and UAE/Bahrain/KSA closed for sale
- QR flights between DOH and MLE still bookable
- QR Charters 3 aircraft from Jeddah to Muscat

7 June 2017
- QR Charters an aircraft from Jeddah to Kuwait

8 June 2017
- Qatar Airways website blocked in the UAE
- Qatar Airways offices in the UAE, Saudi Arabia and Bahrain close

11 June 2017
- Second flight corridor added along the Saudi Arabia Coast

13 June 2017
- UAE Relaxes rules allowing non Qatari registered aircraft to use their airspace to/from Qatar but they are still not allowing flights between the UAE and Qatar from any operators.
- Egypt Relaxes rules allowing non Qatari registered aircraft to use their airspace to/from Qatar. The new rules also allow for non Qatar or Egypt registered aircraft to operate flights between the two countries.

14 June 2017
- Agreement between QR and BA/A3 on reticketing passengers (link below)

Further information:
- QR Travel Alert http://support.qatarairways.com/hc/e...bile_site=true
- QR FAQs http://support.qatarairways.com/hc/e...002369667-FAQs
- QR Charter flights arranged from Jeddah KSA to Muscat Oman http://support.qatarairways.com/hc/e...Muscat-to-Doha
- QR agreement with BA & A3 to reticket their flights http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...r-help-qr.html
- Political background and latest updates: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-40155829
Print Wikipost

Qatar Airways - UAE, KSA, Bahrain and Egypt withdraw licenses and close airspace

Old Jun 6, 2017, 9:47 am

Programs: QR Privilege Gold
I also have been rerouted. Was RUH-DOH-PHL but now RUH-KWI-DOH-PHL. With a 6 month old that will be fun but honouring my upgrade which is worth it. If your flying from RUH then they are only rerouting via KWI. Now just need to pack enough milk for the trip!
Old Jun 6, 2017, 9:49 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Calum
Surly based on that map, Bahrain have the power to ground all flights to Qatar?
In theory: yes. I would however think that it is practically impossible to intercept aircraft on such a short stretch. Another point is: What if QR would simply continue flying. I doubt that Bahrain is going to shoot down passenger jets that will carry numerous foreigners.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 10:03 am

Programs: AA
I am due to fly out from Man tomorrow morning, currently flights are still operational to Doh. We have one night hotel stopover in Doh then on to Bkk.

My Son is now getting anxious on the actual stopover. With the news today http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-40175935. What is the opinion whether its will be safe for westerners to walk about and still enjoy the city or will there be any anti western feeling?

Thanks
Old Jun 6, 2017, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WorldLux
You keep saying that, but that doesn't make it correct. The essence of insurance is covering risks that may or may not fulfill the definition of force majeure. A lightning strike setting your house ablaze is (in most jurisdiction) a case of force majeure and a decent insurance will cover such cases. Vice versa, most insurance policies will not cover deliberately caused risks. In some jurisdictions it is even illegal to insure such risk.

By principle, force majeure is thus not excluded from being insured. To know what is and isn't covered, you have to refer to the terms & conditions of your own insurance policies.

Thus my initial comment:

remains correct.
What you said and what I said does NOT matter. It is what the insurance fine print said. You can argue on principle on what an insurance is about but it does not change the FACT that the Chase CSR card trip interruption benefits do NOT cover Carrier cancellation other than due to weather. For your reference and the reference for the others I have already posted the information from Chase website.

In case you conveniently forget, the initial question posted was about whether Chase CSR card would cover the trip cancellation. The answer is a resounding NO because Chase says so. How you think and say means nothing to those who are wondering whether they are covered.

Again, US is very different from UK - in US most people DONT buy travel insurance. Unless one has health issues, travel insurance generally is not needed because US credit cards often provide enough coverage for normal scenarios. For the rare occasions like this, then "self-insured" would be it. Meanwhile, the US travelers probably save a lot of money over years of travels.

In UK, travel insurance is almost mandatory, especially for trips offered by tour operators, probably is required by the UK law. Very different concepts.

Again, my comments are directly related to a US credit card coverage the initial poster was wondering about. Chase says NO coverage. Period.

Related to travel but not this situation, US private car insurance covers domestic car rentals, no additional insurance needed. Almost all major credit cards provide 2ndary coverage such that your own car insurance comes first when filing claims. There are some cards offer primary coverage so you do not need to use your own car insurance.
In almost policy there are exclusion on many situations that are deemed "force majeure".

Read the fine prints as always. Also what is in practice in UK does not mean it is the case in US. Hence when a poster asks about a US CC coverage, your answer is INCORRECT.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by steviewire
I am due to fly out from Man tomorrow morning, currently flights are still operational to Doh. We have one night hotel stopover in Doh then on to Bkk.

My Son is now getting anxious on the actual stopover. With the news today http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-40175935. What is the opinion whether its will be safe for westerners to walk about and still enjoy the city or will there be any anti western feeling?

Thanks
Seriously? Your trip might not go smoothly, but "anti-western feeling" is not going to be your problem.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 10:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by iahphx
Seriously? Your trip might not go smoothly, but "anti-western feeling" is not going to be your problem.
Doha is very calm today, there are not even the "stocking up" crowds at the supermarkets. A few daily food supplies (milks and frozen meats etc) might be in relatively short supply, though. I trust that you will be fine.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 10:40 am

Programs: EY Gold, QF WP

Thanks
Extrapolating that article to get anti western feelings is quite a stretch. Not sure how your son managed that one.

To answer your question, this is all related to decisions by other regional Arab countries. Nothing to do with the West and you will be in zero danger, other than from heat.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 10:42 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by yoonny
I think we are in a similar boat. I think if you refund, you will lose the portion of the money that's been devalued. I am sure QR will only refund in EGP at the current rate. No online functions to rebook flights that I can find. Please update us.
To offer my experience of cancelling two friends' PSA-AKL to my UK credit card earlier this year, everything was indeed processed in EUR. Of course in that instance it cushioned the blow of the cancellation fees as we'd tanked GBP in the interim rather than the other way around.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold

Thanks
Perfectly safe! I live and work in Doha and arrived in Jan 2014. Was getting a drivers license today and the police were incredibly polite and helpful. One even said to be careful of some poor drivers. Same with my students, support staff and nearby merchants.

Business as usual here..

Last edited by tmac100; Jun 6, 2017 at 11:05 am
Old Jun 6, 2017, 10:52 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by StormDog
77W on the way to AMM at present as QR400. Expect to see this for a few days.
And flying over Iraq, not the Red Sea as alluded to above.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 10:54 am

Thank you for the replies to my question, maybe we were thinking too much into the BBC article. As the news is developing I anticipate that this trip may not be plain sailing with delays/layovers and possible cancellations. I suppose the other option would be to look into the options of a refund or alternative routing if available to us.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 10:58 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum

Thanks
Judging from your post, it will be EXCELLENT for you and your son to walk around Qatar and see that the locals are very hospitable. Just make sure you don't spend too much time outdoors as the weather is already a bit too hot during the day (though not humid / muggy like Dubai currently is ).
Old Jun 6, 2017, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by SullyofDoha
Judging from your post, it will be EXCELLENT for you and your son to walk around Qatar and see that the locals are very hospitable. Just make sure you don't spend too much time outdoors as the weather is already a bit too hot during the day (though not humid / muggy like Dubai currently is ).
Thanks Sully, we already have SPF50 ready
Old Jun 6, 2017, 11:08 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Bear in mind that during the day it will be difficult to find food and beverages because of fasting during Ramadan. After sundown no issue with getting food and beverages (non alcoholic). This caveat does not apply airside at the airport....

WRT my previous contribution... there is an article in the local paper quoting the Qatar Foreign Minister..

http://www.gulf-times.com/story/5523...-Foreign-Minis

The following words from this long article underscore what severaal of us are saying..

He added that HH the Emir "directed us to have a strategic programme" for Qatar so that it is not affected by any measures that might be taken by regional countries and to "work to be self-reliant in providing basic resources so that life would go by normally for citizens and residents."

Daily life and projects in Qatar will not be affected, he said, stressing that Qatar designed its programmes and took such steps in order to independently achieve its vision regardless of any political pressures.

HE Sheikh Mohamed also said there are "inaccurate statements" regarding the closure of airspace and land and marine siege, adding that the only measure that might affect movement is the closure of borders but maritime and air paths are international paths to provide daily life needs and life will go on normally.

Last edited by tmac100; Jun 6, 2017 at 11:23 am
Old Jun 6, 2017, 11:08 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA Ex Plat
I have a flight coming up on 06/12 AMS-DOH-HND

Should i be worried and start looking for other options?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.