FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qatar Airways | Privilege Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club-644/)
-   -   Qatar Airways - UAE, KSA, Bahrain and Egypt withdraw licenses and close airspace (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club/1846356-qatar-airways-uae-ksa-bahrain-egypt-withdraw-licenses-close-airspace.html)

Dr. HFH Jun 15, 2017 2:43 am

Originally Posted by windeye (Post 28442399)
It's a shame that CX refused my chauffeur request and class changed from R to U.

My recollection is that QR will arrange seating in your originally ticketed cabin, but not necessarily at the same fare class. And what with changing carriers and all, mileage earning may, of course, suffer.

remdk Jun 15, 2017 3:10 am

Dr. HFH it is not normally possible to claim miles for a reroute. Reroutes are as windeye points out normally reclassed to ticket class U by the actual carrier. As many posters have pointed out you would have to retroclaim for the original routing! Where is there a loss of mileage etc. in that?

lhioseddy Jun 15, 2017 5:39 am

In a bit of a bind now. Flying DOH-MAD (QR151) in J on the 19th at 2:20PM. Was going to arrive in MAD earlier at 2050 but now rescheduled (I got an email...) to 2120 arrival. (+30 mins) As per flightaware (https://uk.flightaware.com/live/flight/QTR151) this flight has been delayed even further and last got in at 2132 and 2144. That would leave very less time for me to make the next flight.

Got a connecting MAD-LIS flight at 2255. With the earlier timing I had about 2 hours (and usually the QR flight arrived earlier...) for immigration, baggage, terminal switch, re-checkin. Now, it looks like I won't.

I called QR and asked them if they could put me on the earlier QR149 but they refused and said I could have it changed for USD 600. Apparently they only consider free changes for over 2 hours of delays for rescheduled flights.

So.. what are my options here? Try calling again? Do something else? I think I'll need to overnight in Madrid but not sure...

pbd456 Jun 15, 2017 6:11 am

qr should rebook you if it is on one ticket.

jms_uk Jun 15, 2017 6:23 am

Originally Posted by pbd456 (Post 28445511)

As he's talking about check-in in MAD, probably not?

Global321 Jun 15, 2017 6:31 am

Originally Posted by lhioseddy (Post 28445433)
In a bit of a bind now. Flying DOH-MAD (QR151) in J on the 19th at 2:20PM. Was going to arrive in MAD earlier at 2050 but now rescheduled (I got an email...) to 2120 arrival. (+30 mins) As per flightaware (https://uk.flightaware.com/live/flight/QTR151) this flight has been delayed even further and last got in at 2132 and 2144. That would leave very less time for me to make the next flight.

Got a connecting MAD-LIS flight at 2255. With the earlier timing I had about 2 hours (and usually the QR flight arrived earlier...) for immigration, baggage, terminal switch, re-checkin. Now, it looks like I won't.

I called QR and asked them if they could put me on the earlier QR149 but they refused and said I could have it changed for USD 600. Apparently they only consider free changes for over 2 hours of delays for rescheduled flights.

So.. what are my options here? Try calling again? Do something else? I think I'll need to overnight in Madrid but not sure...

HUCA is going to be your best - and perhaps only - option. I would explain honestly about your connecting flight and see if they will make 'a one-time exception'. You could also try different call centers.

Originally Posted by pbd456 (Post 28445511)

I believe OP is talking about different tickets.

Grace B Jun 15, 2017 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by DanielW (Post 28445019)
I am guessing this in Economy? My guess is that their default is to simply not confirm the flight, then refund the flight afterwards.

Well actually it was First (A) class. But still awful service.

Dr. HFH Jun 15, 2017 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by remdk (Post 28445144)
Dr. HFH it is not normally possible to claim miles for a reroute. Reroutes are as windeye points out normally reclassed to ticket class U by the actual carrier. As many posters have pointed out you would have to retroclaim for the original routing! Where is there a loss of mileage etc. in that?

Agree completely. But then wouldn't you want to weigh ORC against the miles you would theoretically earn for the rerouted itinerary in whatever fare class to determine which might be preferable in any specific situation? And be prepared to argue your position to get the miles you want/earned/would have earned/deserve! I can imagine situations in which the rerouting is sufficiently longer that you would earn more miles there. Ugh. My head hurts!!!

anabolism Jun 15, 2017 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH (Post 28448330)
I can imagine situations in which the rerouting is sufficiently longer that you would earn more miles there.

I've read reports of QR offering to reroute CAI-DOH as CAI-LHR-DOH, which would earn far more miles.

Grace B Jun 16, 2017 12:07 am

Originally Posted by anabolism (Post 28448362)
I've read reports of QR offering to reroute CAI-DOH as CAI-LHR-DOH, which would earn far more miles.

Well, if they did that during the 24-hour window prior to your scheduled departure (which they say is the rule now), you'd probably miss any connection you had in DOH. Not particularly convenient I would think.

schrodingerdog Jun 16, 2017 3:25 am

Originally Posted by lhioseddy (Post 28445433)

Even if you arrive on time or early, you will probably not make it. Even asuming your MAD-LIS departs from T4 and you have an EU passport. If your MAD-LIS flight is from T1-T3 there is simply no way to do it.

lhioseddy Jun 16, 2017 5:28 am

Originally Posted by schrodingerdog (Post 28449470)
Even if you arrive on time or early, you will probably not make it. Even asuming your MAD-LIS departs from T4 and you have an EU passport. If your MAD-LIS flight is from T1-T3 there is simply no way to do it.

Yes that's what I feared. However, I managed to find a solution that should be okay. Booked Iberia 3118 to Lisbon at 2310 hrs. Since it's a oneworld airline Qatar is now interlining bags even on separate PNRs (from: https://www.qatarairways.com/en/abou.../oneworld.html)

Qatar Airways is pleased to offer passengers the courtesy of through check of themselves and their bags to their final destination when travelling on multi-sector journeys involving connections onto other oneworld member airlines, even when the trip is booked using separate tickets.
Iberia leaves from T4. So now I just need to budget for immigration and maybe security in case that's needed again. I've done this trip several times before and it's been fairly smooth so as long as immigration isn't busy it should be fine *fingers crossed* :)

rivlinm Jun 16, 2017 2:44 pm

Data Point:

Had CAI>DOH>BOS>DOH>CAI booked in late July and late October. Mix of A and I class.

Call 1: USA QR - Told no changes, I offered to fly to new origin at my expense (suggested switching to KRT>DOH>LAX and she tried but said they would not be able to.

Call 2: Swiss QR - Asked for KRT>DOH>LAX and she checked and told me it would be ~3k Franc. I asked for waiver given the situation. Told only changes to a few select airports (AMM, BEY, LCA, IKA, SYZ, MCT to name a few).

Call 3: USA QR - Was offered to fly via BEY but asked for KRT. She said no. I mentioned I knew someone who had done so just yesterday. She asked for their PNR (I only gave name and date). She looked them up and placed me on hold. Agreed to do and move the departure back five days. Said LAX would require refare.

Overall a success. The flight I am on for KRT>DOH will missconnect at the moment but based on the KRT times a few days out, I will have to call back in and adjust again.

SK AAR Jun 16, 2017 4:37 pm

Why would you keep calling QR for flights in late July? :confused::td:

You should have been told politely but firmly to wait it out and come back shortly before your departure, if still relevant. Most likely this will be resolved by end of next month.

rivlinm Jun 16, 2017 4:48 pm

With all due respect for those having travel plans ahead of me, I must disagree with your opinion.

In certain regions of the world, certain nationalities require advance planning. A Sudanese or Iranian visa can't just be bought at the local store on your way to the airport. When I do land back in the USA, I need to continue my travel and must book those flights now at reasonable prices, not <7 days out prices because I waited to plan a MONTH LONG trip until three days out.

I certainly agree it would be bad form calling on June 6th, but a random Friday morning 2 weeks later harms nearly no one. I'm not one to abuse situations or cause undue burden on those in dire need, but at some point it has to be 'reasonable' to sort out our own travel that is potentially altered by the political landscape.

Besides isn't maximizing air and travel plans the true 'spirit' of FT?

To each their own...but I wasn't willing to cause myself $300-400 in additional travel costs by sitting on the sidelines waiting for a solution.