Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

QR 1368 JNB-DOH, 29-30 May 2017, Power Problem

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2017, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Platinum, AA, AS, DL, NH, QF, QR, UA, USAF

Qatar flight 1368 (JNB-DOH) on A7- BCU, a relatively new 787-8, totally lost in-seat power approximately three hours into the flight. Power was spotty for about 30 minutes prior to that. Attempts by the pursuit and pilot were unsuccessful. Interestingly, USB power remained solid (allowing me to write this report​ while remaining awake for the remainder of the flight).

The flight information data screen went haywire the handset controlled seat lights and call buttons failed. Finally, the AVOD died a horrible death. We finally made it on the ground without​any other failures, but we're late​

While this was an inconvenience for those using laptops​ (to be relegated to the hold for those going to the US), it was a greater problem for me.

I use a CPAP (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure) machine for my central and obstructive sleep apnea (not breathing for over 10 seconds multiple times a hour, not good for the brain). It's the first time I faced this problem while flying on a jet equipped with power. (I avoid red-eyes because of this.)

Had no problems on the outbound (SEA-DFW-DOH-JNB-CPT) for a safari. Had no problems​ with power in Doha, Cape Town, and​ the Safari Lodges with my array of plug adapters (British & South African) and a 220V power strip.

The cabin attendants were helpful in checking on me and keeping me occupied with conversation while everyone else slept. They were surprised by my knowledge of aviation (2nd generation Air Force and of course reading FlyerTalk) for being a developmental-behavioral​ pediatrician.

The purser said he would make a full report to customer service for compensation. What else should I do?
Old May 30, 2017, 5:01 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
Originally Posted by AZ Boomer
Qatar flight 1368 (JNB-DOH) on A7- BCU, a relatively new 787-8, totally lost in-seat power approximately three hours into the flight. Power was spotty for about 30 minutes prior to that. Attempts by the pursuit and pilot were unsuccessful. Interestingly, USB power remained solid (allowing me to write this report​ while remaining awake for the remainder of the flight).

The flight information data screen went haywire the handset controlled seat lights and call buttons failed. Finally, the AVOD died a horrible death. We finally made it on the ground without​any other failures, but we're late​

While this was an inconvenience for those using laptops​ (to be relegated to the hold for those going to the US), it was a greater problem for me.

I use a CPAP (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure) machine for my central and obstructive sleep apnea (not breathing for over 10 seconds multiple times a hour, not good for the brain). It's the first time I faced this problem while flying on a jet equipped with power. (I avoid red-eyes because of this.)

Had no problems on the outbound (SEA-DFW-DOH-JNB-CPT) for a safari. Had no problems​ with power in Doha, Cape Town, and​ the Safari Lodges with my array of plug adapters (British & South African) and a 220V power strip.

The cabin attendants were helpful in checking on me and keeping me occupied with conversation while everyone else slept. They were surprised by my knowledge of aviation (2nd generation Air Force and of course reading FlyerTalk) for being a developmental-behavioral​ pediatrician.

The purser said he would make a full report to customer service for compensation. What else should I do?
Either take it up yourself with customer service or wait to hear back
Old May 30, 2017, 7:56 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Sorry to hear about your troubles AZ Boomer.

I can appreciate that without use of your CPAP machine, it must have been a rather uncomfortable flight.

While the Purser on-board may have reported the issue, it might be worth you calling QR yourself, just to alert them to the issues you faced.

In terms of Compensation, it is viewed on a case-to-case basis, but QR can be rather frustrating. I would encourage you to view Customer Services as a Souk. Expect to haggle, bargain, shout, and be told-off - but it will be worth the effort to get what you want. That last part is important, as you will need to have a think in advance of the call, precisely what you want.

Let us know how you get on.

M
Old May 30, 2017, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Platinum, AA, AS, DL, NH, QF, QR, UA, USAF
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Sorry to hear about your troubles AZ Boomer.

I can appreciate that without use of your CPAP machine, it must have been a rather uncomfortable flight.

While the Purser on-board may have reported the issue, it might be worth you calling QR yourself, just to alert them to the issues you faced.

In terms of Compensation, it is viewed on a case-to-case basis, but QR can be rather frustrating. I would encourage you to view Customer Services as a Souk. Expect to haggle, bargain, shout, and be told-off - but it will be worth the effort to get what you want. That last part is important, as you will need to have a think in advance of the call, precisely what you want.

Let us know how you get on.

M
You suggest calling rather than using the Qatar web site or writing?

The DOH- DFW leg had power, but was not uneventful. Flight attendants were aware of our earlier problems​, but kept their distance as if we were lepers for complaining. No chocolates, no acknowledgement that it was my wife's 64th birthday (the 1360 crew did a birthday cake for breakfast before landing. I slept for 10 hours with my CPAP.

DFW is a disaster for anyone disabled. Not enough wheelchairs as abled bodied passengers (mostly from one ethnic group) request wheelchairs to get through customs and TSA quicker. Puts more pressure on an already overwhelmed and understaffed contractor. The QR PRO and other frequent fliers also confirmed​ my observation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.