Service fee for award tickets

Old May 23, 2017, 3:22 am
Original Poster

Service fee for award tickets

Got QR's newsletter today, where the following was stated:

Service fee:

Effective 1 May 2017, in addition to the applicable Privilege Club Award fee, a service fee will apply for the below services offered at any Qatar Airways City office, Airport office or Contact Centres.
New Award (Qatar Airways or partner airlines) ticket: A minimum of USD.25 per ticket or higher will apply, depending on the country where it is issued.
Change to an existing Award (Qatar Airways or partner airlines) ticket: A minimum of USD.10 per ticket or higher will apply, depending on the country where it is issued.

Award upgrade: A minimum of USD.10 per ticket or higher will apply, depending on the country where it is issued.

Award tickets for First Class are not available on our A380 services to or from London. Business or First Class award flight requests are not valid for infants (below 2 years).
Is it something that community already knew for some time and I just missed it?
While such fees are not unheard of, it looks like, contrary to other reward programmes, there is no way to avoid those (either by means of status or by booking on-line when possible, etc.).
Old May 23, 2017, 3:33 am

Programs: QR Platinum
Originally Posted by maxvor
Got QR's newsletter today, where the following was stated:

Is it something that community already knew for some time and I just missed it?
While such fees are not unheard of, it looks like, contrary to other reward programmes, there is no way to avoid those (either by means of status or by booking on-line when possible, etc.).
I also got the newsletter today and wasn't aware of it. But my interpretation is that online requested awards / upgrades should still be free.
Old May 23, 2017, 3:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by toz100
I also got the newsletter today and wasn't aware of it. But my interpretation is that online requested awards / upgrades should still be free.
You're generally right, but given that there is hardly anything you can book with miles directly online (except for QR own flights) to me calling in is often required if I want to be specific about my preferences.
Old May 23, 2017, 3:38 am

maxvor this only appears to be levied where you use Qatar Airways City office, Airport office or Contact Centres. Online upgrades are unchanged.
Old May 23, 2017, 3:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by remdk
maxvor this only appears to be levied where you use Qatar Airways City office, Airport office or Contact Centres. Online upgrades are unchanged.
Agreed, although my concern lies more in area of partner award ticket bookings. Quite difficult to get what you want without first calling in.
But I'm happy to see that this move doesn't produce unhappy frequent travelers in the community.
Old May 27, 2017, 12:22 am

Programs: QR-G/OWS, QF-G, VA-G, NZ-S
At Qatar PNH Office on 02 May I was charged $10 to upgrade 2 married segments of a multi-city R/T with my Q credits. (PNH-MUC 40 Q credits). I was a little surprised, but went with it. CS chap mentioned it had only started the day before (01 May 2017). I also received the email notification only last week. I was able to upgrade the other 2 un married segments on line with new tranche of Q credits after my Plat requalification ticked over mid May. No $10 charge for the on-line upgrades for the last two segments.
Old May 27, 2017, 12:58 am

AVIATORPJ as the original e-mail notification states (see post 1) these fees are only charageable when contacting QR staff. Doing these things online without 'human interaction' is still free of charge.
Old May 27, 2017, 12:59 am

Programs: QR Gold, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, GHA Titanium, Taj Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by AVIATORPJ
I was able to upgrade the other 2 un married segments on line with new tranche of Q credits after my Plat requalification ticked over mid May. No $10 charge for the on-line upgrades for the last two segments.
When you did it 'on-line' do you mean you sent an upgrade request after logging into your account? QR must have taken a few days to get back to you with the confirmation then, or was it quicker?

I called up QR to change an award ticket (I'm a platinum member) and the CS agent said the change fee was waived due to my status but she'll still need to charge me the service fee of USD 10. I asked her if it was possible to change the date of my award booking online and she said she didn't know. Does anyone here know if I can? Thanks
Old May 27, 2017, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by lifeonthego_k
When you did it 'on-line' do you mean you sent an upgrade request after logging into your account? QR must have taken a few days to get back to you with the confirmation then, or was it quicker?
lieonthego, it took one day. Yes, I logged into my account. The outbound married segments were already showing "U" and my Q credits balance reflected this. It was 2 weeks before I requested upgrades (online from my account) for each of two unmarried inbound segments. I submitted the request the same day that my Plat tier renewal was confirmed and (new year) 60 Q credits were available in my account.
Old May 27, 2017, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by remdk
AVIATORPJ as the original e-mail notification states (see post 1) these fees are only chargeable when contacting QR staff. Doing these things online without 'human interaction' is still free of charge.
Sure remdk. My own experience shared confirms this. However. I found out about the new charge on 02 May at the PNH Office. The PC email came only last week. Alike, the OP in post 1.
Old May 28, 2017, 5:27 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
I was looking at a return ticket DWC-DOH and the price was 985AED. So, I used a little more than 13,000Qmiles for a reward ticket and the ticketing fee was an additional 195AED. Pretty flipping steep! :-(
Old May 29, 2017, 1:19 am

Fees are not waived for QR Platinums?
Old May 29, 2017, 2:56 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
Originally Posted by boarding_pass
Fees are not waived for QR Platinums?
That is correct!
Old May 29, 2017, 3:54 am

Programs: QR Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by SullyofDoha
I was looking at a return ticket DWC-DOH and the price was 985AED. So, I used a little more than 13,000Qmiles for a reward ticket and the ticketing fee was an additional 195AED. Pretty flipping steep! :-(
These 195 AED have nothing to do with the new booking fees for phone or office bookings since 1st May, there are just the taxes.

When you review your booking before confirming it, click on Price breakdown, then on More details next to Taxes and carrier-imposed fees (AED) and you will have the full price breakdown of your award tickets.

Qmiles 14000
Cash (AED) 0.00
Service fee (AED) 0.00
Statutory charges (AED) 0.00
Taxes and carrier-imposed fees (AED) - Hide 195.00
Passenger Service Charge Arrivals (PZAV) 10.00
International Advanced Passenger Information Fee (ZRAP) 5.00
Passenger Service Charge (AEAD) 75.00
Passenger Service Charge Departures (PZSE) 10.00
Passenger Facility Charge PFC (G4AF) 40.00
Passenger Security and Safety Fee (TPSE) 5.00
Airport Fee International (QAAP) 50.00
Number of passengers 1
Total price 14000 Qmiles + 195.00 AED
Total Discount + More details 700 Qmiles
Grand total : 13300 Qmiles+ 195.00 AED
Old May 29, 2017, 6:29 am

According to https://www.qatarairways.com/en-dk/P...onditions.html
"14.11 Award fees apply per passenger and will be quoted in the applicable currency. This value will be rounded up based on the currency used for payment. You may use Qcredits to pay award fees. Details of time limits and award fees are available on qmiles.com."
There have always been fees for reward flights and upgrades! The new thing here is what type of fees there are now. Again NOT shown on the new website just an e-mail!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.