Wiki Posts
Search

10 May Bhudist National Holiday Bangkok

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2017, 11:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AAdvantage, Marriot & SPG Platinum, Hilton, AClub gold, ICH
10 May Bhudist National Holiday Bangkok

I understand that 10 May is a Bhudist National holiday in Bangkok - does anyone know if alcohol will be served in any of the lounges at the airport that evening? Many thanks
Old May 8, 2017, 5:09 am

Generally alcohol IS served in airport lounges and hotel executive lounges because the law specifically prohibits the SALE of alcohol on Buddhist holidays. Since you aren't buying it, it shouldn't be a problem. I've never NOT been served in either situation in the past.

That said, you will not be able to purchase it anywhere in the Kingdom on Wednesday.
Old May 8, 2017, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AAdvantage, Marriot & SPG Platinum, Hilton, AClub gold, ICH
Thanks very much, that's helpful
Old May 9, 2017, 5:33 am

Programs: QR Gold, BAEC, Marriott Rewards Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ThaiDan
Generally alcohol IS served in airport lounges and hotel executive lounges because the law specifically prohibits the SALE of alcohol on Buddhist holidays. Since you aren't buying it, it shouldn't be a problem. I've never NOT been served in either situation in the past.

That said, you will not be able to purchase it anywhere in the Kingdom on Wednesday.
Is this a Buddha day that's different to the other Buddha days in some way?

The reason I ask is that having visited Thailand at least once a year since 1994 I've experienced many 'Buddha days'. On each occasion I was able to purchase alcoholic beverages in hotel bars without a problem.

Just curious.
Old May 9, 2017, 7:20 am

Yes...this is one of the three major Buddhist days that is also a national holiday. Most everything will be closed tomorrow...schools, government offices, most banks (at least the ones not located in shopping malls).

I forget which holiday is which, but this is a big one. Regular Buddhist days..the ones that roll around every 8 days or so...are business as usual. Not tomorrow.
Old May 9, 2017, 10:50 pm

It is Visakha Bucha.
From my experince in the past: the usual restaurants and bars will be serving alcohol later in the evening again. Local mom&pop shops (especially Thai Chinese) will be selling alcohol during the day, but not openly.
Lounges within the airport should be serving alcohol.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.