Extra Seat on Qatar

Old May 9, 2017, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QR Silver
Extra Seat on Qatar

I'm planning a trip to Bangkok ; I decided to travel with Qatar Airways. In economy, the prices for my dates are very reasonable, so I wanted to book an extra seat for my own comfort and that of my neighbours.

I contacted a Travel Agent that arranged an extra seat for me on a previous trip - also with QR, but this time they reported QR advised them most TA's couldn't book extra seats as their reservation system was not 100% compatible. I should deal with the airline directly.

As I wanted to be certain to have a seat at a reasonable price, I booked my first seat online. A few hours later I contacted the QR calldesk to book an extra seat. After a few minutes on hold, the operator came back and told me they couldn't add an extra seat to an existing reservation, and proposed me to book an upgrade to business - I declined the offer (too expensive to my liking). Needless to say I was quite surprised.

Do other FTers have experience with this kind of situation? any advice on the best way forward?

Last edited by gumbleby; May 9, 2017 at 1:29 pm Reason: specify economy
Old May 9, 2017, 1:59 pm

gumbleby welcome to the QR forum.

You cannot book an empty seat on QR.

QR have a system for, whenever possible, allocating an empty seat besides PC or OW status passengers as well as full fare Y passengers. Exactly how they do this is a matter of guesswork by passengers!
You can always use OnLine Check In (OLCI) to allocate yourself to an row of seats and hope that no one takes the seat next to you.
On the A380 status passengers are seated in the Y cabin on the upper deck so this reduces your chances considerably.
Old May 9, 2017, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QR Silver
Originally Posted by remdk

You cannot book an empty seat on QR.
Now I'm really confused : I've booked an extra (paid for) seat before. Was there a change in policy?

Also, the QR website states (Special baggage items) :

"Fragile musical instruments may be carried in the cabin but you must purchase a ticket for the seat that is occupied by the musical instrument."
Old May 9, 2017, 3:18 pm

Programs: *G, ow Saph
Originally Posted by gumbleby
Now I'm really confused : I've booked an extra (paid for) seat before. Was there a change in policy?

Also, the QR website states (Special baggage items) :

"Fragile musical instruments may be carried in the cabin but you must purchase a ticket for the seat that is occupied by the musical instrument."
So just book a seat for a really fragile harmonica!
Old May 9, 2017, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
When airlines offer this facility, it seems to be something that has to be done at the time of booking. That's certainly been the case where I've used it.

I've no experience of this service on QR, but it would be odd if it were not available. It's not only for musical instruments, but also the mechanism for accommodating passengers with challenging dimensions.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.