Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

+Qatar - Doha Hotel stopovers no longer free

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 7, 2018, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: escape4
Thought it would be worthwhile setting up a Wiki for this so all the information needed is in a single place:

The offer is being able to book 1 night in a 4 Star hotel in Doha for 23 USD or 5 Star hotel for 28 USD
The tickets need to be on 157-xxxx stock (QR) and the layover has to be for a minimum of 12 hours.

Confirmed by QR:
Offer valid for Qatar Airways confirmed ticket holders only.
Offer is available on Qatar Airways flights transiting through Doha during on-ward or return journey. (E.g.
London –Doha – Bangkok).
For two (or more) people travelling together both outward and return hotels can be booked on separate tickets.
A minimum transiting time of 12 hours is required to be eligible for this offer.
Not applicable on codeshare flights.
Other terms and conditions apply. Please review at the time of booking.
A valid visa is required to enter the country.Nationals from a total of 80 countries can now take advantage
of visa-free entry into Qatar. Entry into Qatar will be at the discretion of the immigration authorities.
Discover Qatar is not responsible for the decision taken by the immigration authorities.

Link with full information is : https://www.qatarairways.com/en/offers/plus-qatar.html
Booking page is : https://discoverqatar.qatarairways.com/us-en/plusqatar

Hotels:

To be completed think it would be useful to mention advantages / Distances from attractions here but mine is:

Warwick Doha

Transport:

By far Uber is the best option in Qatar and is easy to book using the Airport and the hotel wifi.
Print Wikipost

+Qatar - Doha Hotel stopovers no longer free

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2019, 2:16 am

Programs: BA GGL, Gold for Life
Originally Posted by Schwann
To be honest, I'm sure if they're in the programme 24 hour stays are fine.. it would be fairly pointless otherwise.
That's kind of what I thought, but logic doesn't always prevail. Anyway thanks for the specific hotel suggestions. I'm now wondering if I'd be able to use my Hilton Diamond status to access lounge etc, given it wouldn't be a direct booking with Hilton.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by GGLwannabe
That's kind of what I thought, but logic doesn't always prevail. Anyway thanks for the specific hotel suggestions. I'm now wondering if I'd be able to use my Hilton Diamond status to access lounge etc, given it wouldn't be a direct booking with Hilton.
In the parallel world of IHG, I've always received the full trappings of my status at the intercontinental on these stays. The IC and other hotels i've used haven't raised any problem about conforming to the (at times) strange schedule of my stays under the QR programme.

I haven't seen the Hilton on the list for some time. And although I'd expect them to honour my sparkly Diamondness I wouldn't choose the hotel, simply because I don't like it.

But if it's only a one night stay between flights, i'd just go for one of the nicer hotels available and have done with it.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 9:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Yes, I considered the Hilton because of my status but it looks old and tired.

The Westin is absolutely lovely.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: BA GGL, Gold for Life

Thanks for the info, I will (assuming the scheme continues into 2020) book the Westin
Old Jul 4, 2019, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
w

The Hilton is neither old nor tired, certainly not by Hilton standards when old and tired properties can be the norm in some parts of the world (not least in much of the US) though not as fresh as the Westin. The service, however, is hit and miss: I have had one of my worst experiences there once, though very good on another occasion and decent on some others. The Westin is definitely a better hotel, though I quite like the Hilton when I want to stay in that particular part of town, which is very different from where the Westin is).
Old Jul 5, 2019, 3:08 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
w

The Hilton is neither old nor tired, certainly not by Hilton standards when old and tired properties can be the norm in some parts of the world (not least in much of the US) though not as fresh as the Westin. The service, however, is hit and miss: I have had one of my worst experiences there once, though very good on another occasion and decent on some others. The Westin is definitely a better hotel, though I quite like the Hilton when I want to stay in that particular part of town, which is very different from where the Westin is).
Fair enough.. my first impression was looking on Trip Advisor, which I thought made it look picture-wise at least much more like a 90s US Hilton, especially with those bed skirts.

Incidentally, the Souq Waqif allows paid upgrades... they emailed me and said I could upgrade to a Junior Suite for QR150 or just the next room level up for QR50.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 6:02 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Incidentally, the Souq Waqif allows paid upgrades... they emailed me and said I could upgrade to a Junior Suite for QR150 or just the next room level up for QR50.
To be honest, in the summer and especially if you are not staying during a weekend, I'd expect that many hotels will be willing to sell you an upgrade if you want. Hotels are very empty so hotels will be keep to improve their income in any way they can. The price you are quoted by Souq Waqif sound cheap so it may well be worth it if you decide to stay there.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 2:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, IB Silver, TP Gold
Guys I need some advice
My flight arrives in Doha 23:59 local time on Friday 13/12 (I'm flying out 15/12 10am), considering will leave the airport 00:30. Should I book my hotel for 14/12 and ask for early check-in? or should I book 2 nights?
Last time I've stayed on Radisson Blue. Now I can't decide where to stay... these are my Top 5 - recommendations welcome
1- Grand Hyatt Hotel & Villas
2- InterContinental Doha - The City
3- Marriott Marquis City
4- The Westin Hotel & Spa
5- Souq Waqif Boutique Hotels Doha
Old Jul 8, 2019, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by DTCFlyer
Guys I need some advice
My flight arrives in Doha 23:59 local time on Friday 13/12 (I'm flying out 15/12 10am), considering will leave the airport 00:30. Should I book my hotel for 14/12 and ask for early check-in? or should I book 2 nights?
Last time I've stayed on Radisson Blue. Now I can't decide where to stay... these are my Top 5 - recommendations welcome
3- Marriott Marquis City
I've stayed at the Souq hotels and the Westin. Both very nice properties; although that said I'm fairly sure all on that list would be! I suppose the next question would be location.. obviously the Souq hotels are in a good location for the Souq and art museum. Do you plan to stay in the room/at the pool or go sightseeing?

To be honest, in the summer and especially if you are not staying during a weekend, I'd expect that many hotels will be willing to sell you an upgrade if you want. Hotels are very empty so hotels will be keep to improve their income in any way they can. The price you are quoted by Souq Waqif sound cheap so it may well be worth it if you decide to stay there.
It's an October weekend actually!
DTCFlyer likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 2:01 pm

Guys I need some advice
3- Marriott Marquis City
That's basically three choices:

1) Westin, Marriott, IC are all in the same part of the city. I'd say the Westin is the nicest of the three, though some people have had perks at the Marriott (and not really elsewhere). I'd personally say that the IC is the least nice of the three but may make sense for Ambassadors, etc.
2) Souq Waqif is nice if you want to be in a more boutique hotel (it is a series of them) and want to be by the Souq for a bit of fresh air etc and next door to the Corniche, close to the museums, etc
3) Grand Hyatt is the only of the choices above if you want to be near the Pearl (a bit further away) and have access to a beach.
DTCFlyer likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 5:01 pm

Thanks OP
My first option was Grand Hyatt because of the beach... Although heading to Indonesia and Thailand as well..
The Souq area is quite nice.... I've been to Doha before, my friend haven't so trying to get a bit of both, in one day
Old Jul 8, 2019, 5:06 pm

Thanks @orbitmic
That's what I thought. IC feels so business like... Not really a holiday hotel to me.
I think it narrowed to 3 hotels...
Westin - looks quite good to me...
Souq Waqif - I like the room decor...
Grand Hyatt will be just because of the beach, which I won't have time to use as I'm staying for just 1 day.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 10:20 pm

Thinking about booking flights ADL-DOH-FCO in Feb 2020, with purposeful 35 hr connection in DOH via multi city function on Qatar website.
Do you think the stopover package will be available for 2020?
Has anyone had any experience with 2020 bookings yet?
If I book now, and stopover details for 2020 are released later in the year, will I still be available to take advantage of it?
Thanks everyone )
Old Jul 8, 2019, 10:51 pm

That's basically three choices:

1) Westin, Marriott, IC are all in the same part of the city. I'd say the Westin is the nicest of the three, though some people have had perks at the Marriott (and not really elsewhere). I'd personally say that the IC is the least nice of the three but may make sense for Ambassadors, etc.
2) Souq Waqif is nice if you want to be in a more boutique hotel (it is a series of them) and want to be by the Souq for a bit of fresh air etc and next door to the Corniche, close to the museums, etc
3) Grand Hyatt is the only of the choices above if you want to be near the Pearl (a bit further away) and have access to a beach.
The Westin is not really in the same part of town as Marriot Marquis and IC City which are both in West Bay. So whilst in winter time you can walk around the West Bay area, the Westin is pretty close to the Souq but there isn't so much around within walking distance. With the roads all finished around the Grand Hyatt, you can get to West Bay and the Corniche within minutes from there now.

The Marriott Marquis now has a Metro station a couple of minutes walk away.
orbitmic and DTCFlyer like this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by Ben_W
The Westin is not really in the same part of town as Marriot Marquis and IC City which are both in West Bay.

Sorry, you are absolutely right - I meant more same "style" and I wrote same area (as in business city hotels, because even though the Marriott and IC City are in West Bay, they are a bit inland so not the same feel as, say, the Hilton or FS in the same area).

Thanks @orbitmic
That's what I thought. IC feels so business like... Not really a holiday hotel to me.
I think it narrowed to 3 hotels...
Westin - looks quite good to me...
Souq Waqif - I like the room decor...
Grand Hyatt will be just because of the beach, which I won't have time to use as I'm staying for just 1 day.
I think that the beach really is the main argument for the Grand Hyatt (and note that on weekends it gets very crowded and very loud as plenty of locals come to hit the beach club and swimming pools with an apparent unlimited taste for wall-shaking techno music!) though it is a hotel I actually enjoyed in a weird way, so if you don't think you'll use the beach, I'd go for one of the other two. Westin is definitely the more luxurious of the two, I personally quite like Souq Waqif because the service tends to be relatively personable (as in boutique hotel style). However, in terms of equipment there isn't much (only one of the hotels has a small swimming pool) and while I enjoy a walk in the souq, it is a small and overly clean (some would say clinical) souq, not one of the bustling chaotic and atmospheric things you find in many other Arabic countries, so it's enjoyable in that it is a small nice area to walk out but don't expect a Thousand and One Nights atmosphere etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.