Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

+Qatar - Doha Hotel stopovers no longer free

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 7, 2018, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: escape4
Thought it would be worthwhile setting up a Wiki for this so all the information needed is in a single place:

The offer is being able to book 1 night in a 4 Star hotel in Doha for 23 USD or 5 Star hotel for 28 USD
The tickets need to be on 157-xxxx stock (QR) and the layover has to be for a minimum of 12 hours.

Confirmed by QR:
Offer valid for Qatar Airways confirmed ticket holders only.
Offer is available on Qatar Airways flights transiting through Doha during on-ward or return journey. (E.g.
London –Doha – Bangkok).
For two (or more) people travelling together both outward and return hotels can be booked on separate tickets.
A minimum transiting time of 12 hours is required to be eligible for this offer.
Not applicable on codeshare flights.
Other terms and conditions apply. Please review at the time of booking.
A valid visa is required to enter the country.Nationals from a total of 80 countries can now take advantage
of visa-free entry into Qatar. Entry into Qatar will be at the discretion of the immigration authorities.
Discover Qatar is not responsible for the decision taken by the immigration authorities.

Link with full information is : https://www.qatarairways.com/en/offers/plus-qatar.html
Booking page is : https://discoverqatar.qatarairways.com/us-en/plusqatar

Hotels:

To be completed think it would be useful to mention advantages / Distances from attractions here but mine is:

Warwick Doha

Transport:

By far Uber is the best option in Qatar and is easy to book using the Airport and the hotel wifi.
Print Wikipost

+Qatar - Doha Hotel stopovers no longer free

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2018, 1:44 am

Programs: BAEC
Assuminf you're travelling in J and you have lounge access you absolutely can use the lockers in the main lounge (go there as if you were in transit) then exit back through security and leave the airport for a long layover.

Read this thread, key info in post 27...

QR free transit visa - DIY Doha night tour?
Old Sep 26, 2018, 12:08 pm

I note that the terms appear now to allow travellers on stop overs of more than 12 hours to take advantage of the offer.

Originally you had to book a multi city ticket with a stop over in Doha – now it seems a standard return booking with a minimum 12 hour stopover in Doha is acceptable. Is this the case – and does it apply to bookings where you have chosen a longer stopover when a shorter one would have been available?

Would welcome confirmation of this before booking – will a return booking (not multi city) with a voluntary stopover of more than 12 hours make you eligible?
Old Sep 26, 2018, 12:57 pm

MARTYM8 welcome to the QR forum.

As you have already noticed there are two different stopover schemes.

STPC is a QR scheme for passengers transittting DOH where the shortest scheduled connection time is eight hours or more, on the dates of flight, not the date of booking! This includes Visas where required, accommodation, hotel transfer and a meal allowance based upon the length and time of day of your stay.

The Stopover package is a Visit Qatar Tourist scheme and consists of accommodation only. The minimum time permitted by this scheme is twelve hours. Unlike STPC there are no Shortest connection time limitations. It is however, limited to only once per reservation.

Remember to check visa requirements on the QR website.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by MARTYM8
I note that the terms appear now to allow travellers on stop overs of more than 12 hours to take advantage of the offer.

Originally you had to book a multi city ticket with a stop over in Doha – now it seems a standard return booking with a minimum 12 hour stopover in Doha is acceptable. Is this the case – and does it apply to bookings where you have chosen a longer stopover when a shorter one would have been available?

Would welcome confirmation of this before booking – will a return booking (not multi city) with a voluntary stopover of more than 12 hours make you eligible?
You are right that the scheme originally mentioned the multi city booking but to my knowledge as you can see upthread, this was never enforced. And yes, voluntary break is fine here (unlike the stpc). Obviously, I expect your trip is planned by year end as there is currently no information on it being extended beyond that date.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by remdk
MARTYM8 welcome to the QR forum.

As you have already noticed there are two different stopover schemes.

STPC is a QR scheme for passengers transittting DOH where the shortest scheduled connection time is eight hours or more, on the dates of flight, not the date of booking! This includes Visas where required, accommodation, hotel transfer and a meal allowance based upon the length and time of day of your stay.

The Stopover package is a Visit Qatar Tourist scheme and consists of accommodation only. The minimum time permitted by this scheme is twelve hours. Unlike STPC there are no Shortest connection time limitations. It is however, limited to only once per reservation.

Remember to check visa requirements on the QR website.
Its the stopover package scheme (as per the link below) I was interested in - the STPC wouldn't apply in my case as I would be not be choosing the minimum stop over time.

So a voluntary longer stop over on one leg of a return journey booking (i.e. not a multi city) of more than 12 hours would entitle you to use the offer?

https://discoverqatar.qatarairways.com/us-en/plusqatar
Old Sep 26, 2018, 1:59 pm

MARTYM8 since the shorest connection time is only used for STPC then yes you can choose a longer connection time and qualify for Plus Qatar.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 11:26 am

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by orbitmic
You are right that the scheme originally mentioned the multi city booking but to my knowledge as you can see upthread, this was never enforced. And yes, voluntary break is fine here (unlike the stpc). Obviously, I expect your trip is planned by year end as there is currently no information on it being extended beyond that date.
Wow I didn't know they don't enforce the multicity booking. Because on certain flights, booking on non multicity ticket is much cheaper than booking via multicity.

E.g. SIN-DOH-MXP and TXL-DOH-SIN (with 14h layover) in December is S$1,259 currently. If I were to choose the multicity option with the exact same flights i.e. SIN-DOH-MXP, then TXL-DOH and DOH-SIN (also with 14h layover), it costs S$1,375. I assumed the difference is what you'd pay for the "free" hotel.

Since they don't really enforce the multicity booking requirement, it's better to opt for the former.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 1:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I never used multicity so far, was never denied +qatar hotel.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by remdk
Just to clarify, it can be used once per ticket. If there are two passengers in the same reservation, there will be two tickets, and you can book the package in one direction using one passenger's ticket, and in the other direction using the other passenger's ticket. If there is only one passenger then there is only one ticket.

If there are more than four flights, there will be continuation tickets, but I have no information as to if these could be used to book the package.

Originally Posted by Duhh
Wow I didn't know they don't enforce the multicity booking. Because on certain flights, booking on non multicity ticket is much cheaper than booking via multicity.
Once ticketed, I don't believe there is any way of knowing if a ticket was purchased using multicity or not, so my guess is they used the wording because it was the easiest way to have a stop-off.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 12:40 pm

Further to the advice above I also have a question about booking the hotel when your flight is due to arrive past midnight. My flight will arrive at 1.30am on a Thursday morning in Doha - do I book the hotel for the Wednesday to Thursday or the Thursday (when I arrive) to Friday night. My departure flight leaves before midnight on the Thursday evening.

If it was a normal hotel booking even if you arrived post midnight you would book for the previous day (i.e. in my case for Wed to Thursday) - but does the same apply for the stopover programme where people will arrive at odd hours and not necessarily stay on the usual check in after 2pm check out by 12noon basis?
Old Oct 12, 2018, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by MARTYM8
Further to the advice above I also have a question about booking the hotel when your flight is due to arrive past midnight. My flight will arrive at 1.30am on a Thursday morning in Doha - do I book the hotel for the Wednesday to Thursday or the Thursday (when I arrive) to Friday night. My departure flight leaves before midnight on the Thursday evening.

If it was a normal hotel booking even if you arrived post midnight you would book for the previous day (i.e. in my case for Wed to Thursday) - but does the same apply for the stopover programme where people will arrive at odd hours and not necessarily stay on the usual check in after 2pm check out by 12noon basis?
It's best to book for the exact arrival and departure times, unlike a normal hotel reservation. If your flight arrives at 1:30 AM Thursday, book for Thursday with an arrival time of 01:30. It's best to be sure your booking matches the scheduled arrival of your flight, as otherwise the booking could be cancelled; the bookings are subject to a manual review and if it doesn't match the scheduled flight arrival could be cancelled.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 9:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Had the same question recently and i believe it even states in the T&C to book the exact arrival day/time as stated in your booking. Can't look it up right now, but go try to find it. The hotel confirmed it as such.

edit, found it:
QRs Terms and Conditions state
"Check-in dates at hotel must match flight arrival date in Doha.”
Old Oct 12, 2018, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by nilsfr69
Had the same question recently and i believe it even states in the T&C to book the exact arrival day/time as stated in your booking. Can't look it up right now, but go try to find it. The hotel confirmed it as such.

edit, found it:
And these days Doha hotels are not operating at occupancy levels that would make this approach awkward...
Old Oct 14, 2018, 7:17 pm
dsf

Programs: Nowt of note.
Originally Posted by nilsfr69

edit, found it:
For my trip last week I chose the dates as I would a regular reservation, i.e. 10th arrival, 11th departure - despite my OSL-DOH leg landing at 0100 on the 11th. Had no problems, my hotel booking was exactly as requested (including 4pm checkout).
Old Oct 15, 2018, 9:27 am

Anyone any idea if this is getting extended past 31st December?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.