Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

+Qatar - Doha Hotel stopovers no longer free

Old Mar 7, 2018, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: escape4
Thought it would be worthwhile setting up a Wiki for this so all the information needed is in a single place:

The offer is being able to book 1 night in a 4 Star hotel in Doha for 23 USD or 5 Star hotel for 28 USD
The tickets need to be on 157-xxxx stock (QR) and the layover has to be for a minimum of 12 hours.

Confirmed by QR:
Offer valid for Qatar Airways confirmed ticket holders only.
Offer is available on Qatar Airways flights transiting through Doha during on-ward or return journey. (E.g.
London –Doha – Bangkok).
For two (or more) people travelling together both outward and return hotels can be booked on separate tickets.
A minimum transiting time of 12 hours is required to be eligible for this offer.
Not applicable on codeshare flights.
Other terms and conditions apply. Please review at the time of booking.
A valid visa is required to enter the country.Nationals from a total of 80 countries can now take advantage
of visa-free entry into Qatar. Entry into Qatar will be at the discretion of the immigration authorities.
Discover Qatar is not responsible for the decision taken by the immigration authorities.

Link with full information is : https://www.qatarairways.com/en/offers/plus-qatar.html
Booking page is : https://discoverqatar.qatarairways.com/us-en/plusqatar

Hotels:

To be completed think it would be useful to mention advantages / Distances from attractions here but mine is:

Warwick Doha

Transport:

By far Uber is the best option in Qatar and is easy to book using the Airport and the hotel wifi.
Print Wikipost

+Qatar - Doha Hotel stopovers no longer free

Old Jan 4, 2018, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by Adstring
At the Souq, I requested a room in Al Mirqab which I seem to remember has the pool?
That is correct. For one of my friends, this is the overriding priority.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 9:35 pm

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
Originally Posted by Freddorick
Stopping over in Qatar soon. Did anybody do one of the desert tours? Are they worthwhile or is it better to rent a car yourself?
do a tour. Driving in Qatar is not a fun experience. Many locals are arrogant drivers (flashing lights to get you to move over even if there is nowhere to pull aside; passing so close you could not separate the cars by a sheet of paper; cutting you off...the list is long). Plus, if you get angry and raise a finger, shake a fist, mouth some words to them, you can expect that they will then switch to ‘being offended’ mode and they will call the police and tail you until the police catch up. Then you will be taken to the police station, interrogated, kept for hours or days and be charged. It gets even better if they say that you muttered something offensive about Islam or the Prophet. So, in a nutshell, if you are not used to driving in a Khaliji country, best keep to a tour, besides, they will get you to the best places in the shortest amount of time and you can experience interaction with some wonderful locals.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Adstring
Good to hear as i'm staying in the Souq on the way out and Westin on the way back. At the Souq, I requested a room in Al Mirqab which I seem to remember has the pool?
Indeed, that's what we did too. For the record, some of the other ones look even cuter/more charming, but we went for the pool access in priority. The Souq is very small (and not really very souq-like, I mean alleyways are not too narrow and you find your way extremely easily, it's about the other end of the scale from being lost in the Fes medina!) so even if you choose another one it is very easy to go to Al Mirqab for the pool but Al Mirqab was certainly nice too!

PS: the website on the various Souq Waqif buildings are very confusing - I found that the best one to look at photos and descriptions of the different ones (notwithstanding the info FlyingScientist very kindly sent me at the time too!) is this one: https://www.minorhotels.com/en/tivol...ouq-waqif-doha
Old Jan 5, 2018, 4:11 am

Originally Posted by SullyofDoha

do a tour. Driving in Qatar is not a fun experience. Many locals are arrogant drivers (flashing lights to get you to move over even if there is nowhere to pull aside; passing so close you could not separate the cars by a sheet of paper; cutting you off...the list is long). Plus, if you get angry and raise a finger, shake a fist, mouth some words to them, you can expect that they will then switch to ‘being offended’ mode and they will call the police and tail you until the police catch up. Then you will be taken to the police station, interrogated, kept for hours or days and be charged. It gets even better if they say that you muttered something offensive about Islam or the Prophet. So, in a nutshell, if you are not used to driving in a Khaliji country, best keep to a tour, besides, they will get you to the best places in the shortest amount of time and you can experience interaction with some wonderful locals.

Thanks for the advice.
SullyofDoha likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 7:04 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
for our trip in Feb, we have been booked into the Oryx Rotana Before they extended the STPC+ to our travel dates.

I phoned (US Phone number) and asked to move to a city centre hotel and they said to ask when we arrive Doha.

Is there much chance of a change when we land or is there a Doha contact number i could try?
Old Jan 5, 2018, 9:09 am

I'd also recommend against driving in Doha. I rented a car when I visited in Nov for two days and I'm happy to never do it again — the driving culture is.... much different from what I'm used to in Germany — it was enormously stressful and it still feels like a miracle I didn't end up in any crash. Uber/Taxi are rather reasonably priced, unless you're planning to venture far out — I'd recommend sticking to those.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 9:32 am

stewaran you may find it easiest to book +Qatar and then cancel STPC. They are two separate offers with very different terms and conditions.
With +Qatar you can choose your hotel from a list of available hotels but with STPC QR allocate the hotel and are not usually very flexible with regard to changing hotel on arrival.
Whilst I have not done so I think you can apply to reserve +Qatar without cancelling your STPC. When you have +Qatar confirmed then cancel your STPC.
stewaran likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
What kind of hotel booking confirmation did you guys get? I only received the hotel confirmation from Discover Qatar with all my booking details. Are you supposed to get a confirmation directly from the hotel as well?

Also, do you contact the hotel to confirm the exact preferred check-in and check-out times? Mine are within the 24 hours limit stated in the offer terms and conditions, but my preferred check-out is quite late, 9pm.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by nk15
What kind of hotel booking confirmation did you guys get? I only received the hotel confirmation from Discover Qatar with all my booking details. Are you supposed to get a confirmation directly from the hotel as well?

Also, do you contact the hotel to confirm the exact preferred check-in and check-out times? Mine are within the 24 hours limit stated in the offer terms and conditions, but my preferred check-out is quite late, 9pm.
no you just get the discover Qatar confirmation and you have already stated your check in preference at the time of booking. You get your room for up to 24 hours from then.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 12:45 am

Originally Posted by remdk
stewaran you may find it easiest to book +Qatar and then cancel STPC. They are two separate offers with very different terms and conditions.
With +Qatar you can choose your hotel from a list of available hotels but with STPC QR allocate the hotel and are not usually very flexible with regard to changing hotel on arrival.
Whilst I have not done so I think you can apply to reserve +Qatar without cancelling your STPC. When you have +Qatar confirmed then cancel your STPC.
Thanks remdk will give this a shot

What would people.say beat hotel for family of 4 wanting to see a bit of Doha?
Sleep not important
Old Jan 7, 2018, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by Freddorick
Stopping over in Qatar soon. Did anybody do one of the desert tours? Are they worthwhile or is it better to rent a car yourself?
Do a tour. I can recommend regency travel. They do half day or full day tours and will pick you up from your hotel. There are other good companies as well which I've heard about, but I've only done it with Regency Travel. They do charge on how full the car is, so it will be much cheaper for five or you as opposed to just one person.

You wont be able to take a rented car into the dessert. I don't think driving here is quite as bad as SullyofDoha makes out! But taxis are plentiful so you will find it easy to get around.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 5:48 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
Originally Posted by Ben_W
I don't think driving here is quite as bad as SullyofDoha makes out! But taxis are plentiful so you will find it easy to get around.
I’ve been driving to work in Gulf countries for 14 years, 10 of those years in Doha. From my perspective, if one is not a solid defensive driver or if they are prone to getting agitated from reckless drivers, what would be the point of someone renting a car in Doha and tempting fate? I stand by my earlier posting about the local driving habits and the very real downside of confronting or showing your annoyance at reckless drivers. I have personally known several people who proved to be the ‘cautionary tale’. That being said, you are absolutely correct about the plethora of taxis and the low cost of the service provided.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by Smurfettepharoh
hello,

1) i also have an award ticket from AA.
can anyone share the experience with visa on arrival process?

2) also, I have elite marriot/spg gold and hilton gold,
I welcome suggestion which property with better lounge and access to mall and the grand market place.

Thank you,
I'd also like to know if anyone has had experience booking the hotel stopover when on an AA award ticket. Thanks!
Old Jan 7, 2018, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by orbitmic

no you just get the discover Qatar confirmation and you have already stated your check in preference at the time of booking. You get your room for up to 24 hours from then.

Ok, thanks, I assume all hotels follow that (24 hours stay from desired check in), it is the deal with +Qatar, right? I booked shoulder season at the Marriott that has a lot of rooms and I also have status with them, so that should be even safer, methinks.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by remdk
Thanks for your help, 2 rooms booked at the Marriott for our transfer :-)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.