Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

+Qatar - Doha Hotel stopovers no longer free

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 7, 2018, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: escape4
Thought it would be worthwhile setting up a Wiki for this so all the information needed is in a single place:

The offer is being able to book 1 night in a 4 Star hotel in Doha for 23 USD or 5 Star hotel for 28 USD
The tickets need to be on 157-xxxx stock (QR) and the layover has to be for a minimum of 12 hours.

Confirmed by QR:
Offer valid for Qatar Airways confirmed ticket holders only.
Offer is available on Qatar Airways flights transiting through Doha during on-ward or return journey. (E.g.
London –Doha – Bangkok).
For two (or more) people travelling together both outward and return hotels can be booked on separate tickets.
A minimum transiting time of 12 hours is required to be eligible for this offer.
Not applicable on codeshare flights.
Other terms and conditions apply. Please review at the time of booking.
A valid visa is required to enter the country.Nationals from a total of 80 countries can now take advantage
of visa-free entry into Qatar. Entry into Qatar will be at the discretion of the immigration authorities.
Discover Qatar is not responsible for the decision taken by the immigration authorities.

Link with full information is : https://www.qatarairways.com/en/offers/plus-qatar.html
Booking page is : https://discoverqatar.qatarairways.com/us-en/plusqatar

Hotels:

To be completed think it would be useful to mention advantages / Distances from attractions here but mine is:

Warwick Doha

Transport:

By far Uber is the best option in Qatar and is easy to book using the Airport and the hotel wifi.
Print Wikipost

+Qatar - Doha Hotel stopovers no longer free

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2017, 2:35 am

Programs: BA GGL, IB, LH, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by im.daniel
Interesting ... I have a 10h layover coming up and reservation still in tact ...
their IT is pretty bad about this, if they catch an booking that doesn’t fit within the rules (not sure if this is a manual or automated process) they will send you and the hotel an email cancelling, but not always update their systems.
I made several hotel bookings for October-December once the offer was extended, as I was transiting DOH several a couple of which were cancelled for the “at least 12 hours” connection rule.
However, in my case they did not update the booking itself, so in Manage My Booking it still showed as valid.
When I arrived at the hotel, they told me that my booking had been cancelled by QR, but I showed them the Manage My Booking page where it showed as valid. As it was late at night, the hotel’s staff could not locate anyone on QR’s hotel desk and agreed to let me stay, authorized my credit card (I would have paid for it, as I had found the email sent several months back buried in my inbox) and gave me a room. After my checkout early that morning, while I was in the lounge waiting for my flight, I got an email from the hotel informing me that the cost for the night would be taken care of by QR. Good outcome!

Double check the status of your reservation in MMB, you may have a pleasant surprise.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 6:11 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Originally Posted by remdk
Crisu69 do enjoy your stopover in March.

There are only ten days remaining in which this offer can be booked but I, personally, hope that it will be extended yet again.
Remdk, what do you think the chance are of this ? Would make more sense doing it for Summer '18 along with the blockade still in full force.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 6:41 am

Flame3601 I think that the chances are very good for it to be extended but probably with a number of changes.
I read somewhere that Qatar is thought to have an overcapacity of hotel accommodation so any measure to help the situation would certainly be welcomed by the Hotel owners and the Tourist authorities. Especially at this time of crisis.
Flame3601 likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 9:04 am

Flame3601 I think that the chances are very good for it to be extended but probably with a number of changes.
I read somewhere that Qatar is thought to have an overcapacity of hotel accommodation so any measure to help the situation would certainly be welcomed by the Hotel owners and the Tourist authorities. Especially at this time of crisis.
That is promising , i would much rather trade in one of my STPC's for the Four Seasons or Ritz on my inbound segment !

Fingers crossed
Old Dec 23, 2017, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Qatar does have hotel overcapacity right now, and it will likely get worse before it gets better as it continues to increase capacity with an eye towards the 2022 FIFA World Cup. Moreover, after the World Cup finishes, the hotel room capacity oversupply is likely to be at least as bad if not worse compared to current, similar to what South Africa experienced in 2010. When you increase capacity to meet peak demand, there is obviously oversupply after the peak demand goes away. Clearly a non-trivial factor in creating the current oversupply is the boycott. The hotel room requirements interplay over time between reduction in requirement due to the boycott and increase in requirement due to the 2022 World Cup will be interesting to watch. Personally, I think that this is a great time to go as a tourist; and I have planned a nine day trip to Doha for this June.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Qatar does have hotel overcapacity right now, and it will likely get worse before it gets better as it continues to increase capacity with an eye towards the 2022 FIFA World Cup.
World Cup 2022 ..... hmmmm. Could turn out to be the biggest white elephant for quite some time. I'd imagine investors are treading a cautious path.

Personally, I think that this is a great time to go as a tourist; and I have planned a nine day trip to Doha for this June.
Nice if you simply enjoy staying in smart hotels at cheap rates, but I'm baffled at what you might get up to for nine days. Especially in June. Once you've done the museum and the souq there's scant amusement. Trudging the corniche is fine at the moment, and we enjoyed the fireworks there last week, but June ain't a time for outdoors.

Seriously: summer prices in Abu Dhabi and Muscat drift downhill, and both have more to much to offer than Doha (Muscat very significantly more)
Old Dec 23, 2017, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Nice if you simply enjoy staying in smart hotels at cheap rates, but I'm baffled at what you might get up to for nine days. Especially in June. Once you've done the museum and the souq there's scant amusement. Trudging the corniche is fine at the moment, and we enjoyed the fireworks there last week, but June ain't a time for outdoors.

Seriously: summer prices in Abu Dhabi and Muscat drift downhill, and both have more to much to offer than Doha (Muscat very significantly more)
Yeah, not saying you're wrong. Going with my 85 year old cousin. The primary motivators of the trip for her were the MIA and the Louvre in AUH. We were originally going to do Doha and Abu Dhabi, but the travel logistics are very complicated between the Qatar boycott and the fact that my cousin will be traveling from and returning to Tel Aviv. So to do the original trip would have been something like TLV-AMM-DOH-XXX-AUH-XXX-TLV, not to mention the JFK-TLV-JFK fights, as she lives in NY. Although she a real traveler, it's more than she wants to undertake. So choosing between MIA in DOH and Louvre in AUH, she opted for MIA in DOH.

Should we consider splitting the time between DOH and MCT?
Old Dec 24, 2017, 1:59 am

Dr. HFH remember Ramadan 2018 is 16 May to 14 June.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Dr. HFH remember Ramadan 2018 is 16 May to 14 June.
Of course! I planned it that way. We arrive in Doha on June 14th.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 3:49 am

Dr. HFH it was suggested on this forum about two years ago that Eid al Fitr, both officially and unofficially, extends for up to 11 days. I cannot find the post at the moment but it was in a thread regarding official holidays. The gist of the post was that many, many Qataris travel during Eid and for the next few days there was barely a skeleton staff. 'Normal service will be resumed' 10-11 days after the end of Ramadan!
Exactly how accurate the above is I cannot say but I hope Qatar resident members can clarify!
Do investigate further to avoid disappointment.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK

Should we consider splitting the time between DOH and MCT?
I'd say most definitely. There's no greater contrast between two states in the Gulf.

I suppose, in short, Muscat has the low key charm that is completely absent in Doha. It lacks the high end museums/galleries of Doha and Abu Dhabi, but makes up for that in other ways. Though again, the climate is working against you - and although the scenery around Muscat is breathtaking, it will be seen from your air-conditiond car

But honestly, despite your affinity with Qatar, I'd have thought a two-centre trip based on Abu Dhabi and Muscat would be worth considering as the most interesting way way to spend nine days in the region. You might want to check out the rates for AUH hotels during your target period: these drop quite dramatically for the summer months, and the city has some very comfortable places to stay.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 10:21 am

Hehe i am finding it hard for things to do worth while with my 21 hour stopover , so 9 days holiday in Doha is beyond me.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I'd say most definitely. There's no greater contrast between two states in the Gulf.

I suppose, in short, Muscat has the low key charm that is completely absent in Doha. It lacks the high end museums/galleries of Doha and Abu Dhabi, but makes up for that in other ways. Though again, the climate is working against you - and although the scenery around Muscat is breathtaking, it will be seen from your air-conditiond car

But honestly, despite your affinity with Qatar, I'd have thought a two-centre trip based on Abu Dhabi and Muscat would be worth considering as the most interesting way way to spend nine days in the region. You might want to check out the rates for AUH hotels during your target period: these drop quite dramatically for the summer months, and the city has some very comfortable places to stay.
Good ideas, thanks. I will check out Muscat. Doha will stay on the list, however, as I've been dying to see the MIA for nearly a year, now!
Old Dec 25, 2017, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Hi all, thank God I saw this on time before the 31st. I have a couple of questions about booking this:

1. I am considering the Marriott, as it is the only one I have Gold status with and can get the free lounge/breakfast, etc. I am arriving at 11:30pm on a Monday night in Spring, and departing at 2am on Wednesday. Should I book one night (Monday night, and ask for late check out on Tuesday at 10pm?), or two nights? Would the late check out work you think?

2. We are an unmarried couple, with different last names, booked on one record locator but obviously two different tickets. Should we ask for one or two rooms (one on each ticket)?

3. Or perhaps we can book the first night under one ticket number and the second night after the second ticket number, so we can avoid paying the $50 for the second night? Do you see any issues with that? Has anyone done this?
Old Dec 25, 2017, 8:59 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum AMB, PrivilegeClub Gold
Originally Posted by nk15
Hi all, thank God I saw this on time before the 31st. I have a couple of questions about booking this:

1. I am considering the Marriott, as it is the only one I have Gold status with and can get the free lounge/breakfast, etc. I am arriving at 11:30pm on a Monday night in Spring, and departing at 2am on Wednesday. Should I book one night (Monday night, and ask for late check out on Tuesday at 10pm?), or two nights? Would the late check out work you think?

2. We are an unmarried couple, with different last names, booked on one record locator but obviously two different tickets. Should we ask for one or two rooms (one on each ticket)?

3. Or perhaps we can book the first night under one ticket number and the second night after the second ticket number, so we can avoid paying the $50 for the second night? Do you see any issues with that? Has anyone done this?
AD1. Haven't stayed at Mariott, but the others in this thread said that the booking was honoured for 24h. I had this at Souq Waqif Boutiqe Hotels.

AD2. I'm gay and was with my partner, and we did not have any problems to have a double bed at Westin (no questions asked). The policy about married couples applies to Qatari citizens only.
AD3. That's the best option, I believe. I used my partner's ticket number to book the hotel on our return trip (just 8h, no problems). Just print the voucher as some hotels request a copy of that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.