Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

+Qatar - Doha Hotel stopovers no longer free

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 7, 2018, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: escape4
Thought it would be worthwhile setting up a Wiki for this so all the information needed is in a single place:

The offer is being able to book 1 night in a 4 Star hotel in Doha for 23 USD or 5 Star hotel for 28 USD
The tickets need to be on 157-xxxx stock (QR) and the layover has to be for a minimum of 12 hours.

Confirmed by QR:
Offer valid for Qatar Airways confirmed ticket holders only.
Offer is available on Qatar Airways flights transiting through Doha during on-ward or return journey. (E.g.
London –Doha – Bangkok).
For two (or more) people travelling together both outward and return hotels can be booked on separate tickets.
A minimum transiting time of 12 hours is required to be eligible for this offer.
Not applicable on codeshare flights.
Other terms and conditions apply. Please review at the time of booking.
A valid visa is required to enter the country.Nationals from a total of 80 countries can now take advantage
of visa-free entry into Qatar. Entry into Qatar will be at the discretion of the immigration authorities.
Discover Qatar is not responsible for the decision taken by the immigration authorities.

Link with full information is : https://www.qatarairways.com/en/offers/plus-qatar.html
Booking page is : https://discoverqatar.qatarairways.com/us-en/plusqatar

Hotels:

To be completed think it would be useful to mention advantages / Distances from attractions here but mine is:

Warwick Doha

Transport:

By far Uber is the best option in Qatar and is easy to book using the Airport and the hotel wifi.
Print Wikipost

+Qatar - Doha Hotel stopovers no longer free

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2020, 6:49 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by anabolism
I'm not aware of any restrictions on entering Doha (or most other count-rues) from Hong Kong. Most countries restrict entry from those who have been in mainland China within the past 14 days, a few are now including Italy or South Korea. I believe Taiwan includes Hong Kong, but I'm not aware of others doing that. Note that Hong Kong restricts entry by those who have been in the mainland.
Cathay Pacific has an updated list of travel restrictions on their web site: https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...trictions.html
Old Mar 6, 2020, 10:59 am

Programs: oneworld Rusty Iron; Starwood Aluminum
We'll be taking advantage of this for 2 nights in May, but I'm having trouble deciding which hotel. I'm inclined to book Souq Waqif Boutique Hotels, but am not sure if we'd be missing out on anything staying at the Westin, Grand Hyatt, Al Najada, etc (which show as available for our dates). Don't care too much if dry, nor do we expect to be spending that much time there.

Anyone have an opinion?
Old Mar 6, 2020, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by elsenor
We'll be taking advantage of this for 2 nights in May, but I'm having trouble deciding which hotel. I'm inclined to book Souq Waqif Boutique Hotels, but am not sure if we'd be missing out on anything staying at the Westin, Grand Hyatt, Al Najada, etc (which show as available for our dates). Don't care too much if dry, nor do we expect to be spending that much time there.

Anyone have an opinion?
Being faced with a choice of (near) luxury hotels at knock-down prices seems to encourage prevarication and dither

Friends were staying at the Najada, and i was impressed by their room and the hotel itself. It wasn't a QR stay, and i don't know what standard of room they'd booked. It's a large hotel next to Souk Waqif and very close to the Souk metro station (one easy change to get to and from the airport). It would get my vote over the souq's boutique hotels, although i think they are also managed by Tivoli.

I can't see any obvious reason to go for the Westin, unless you are wedded to Marriott and the possibility of upgrades. But given there'd be no points/credit, it might be a opportunity try something new and take a holiday from the brand.

The Hyatt is very nice, of course. And well located in terms of sea, beaches and the Pearl. But it's well out of the area covering the souq, museums and corniche. Among the beachy places outside the city i have a soft spot for the Intercontinental. But again, there's not much "`Qatar" about it.
elsenor likes this.

Last edited by IAN-UK; Mar 6, 2020 at 10:02 pm
Old Mar 7, 2020, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Being faced with a choice of (near) luxury hotels at knock-down prices seems to encourage prevarication and dither
But again, there's not much "`Qatar" about it.
Ha. Very much along the lines of my thought process... The leading photo of the Grand Hyatt itself was almost enough for me to choose it

I appreciate the information. I think you confirmed my inclination to stay near the souk and have the most "Qatar" experience possible. And it's good to know that opting specifically for the Najada may be a better choice than quasi gambling with the waqif boutiques.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by elsenor

Anyone have an opinion?
Everywhere will be dry for most of May anyway, so there's no need to factor that into your selection!
elsenor likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 3:45 am

Any experience with the Alwadi Hotel (MGallery)? Next to the souq and thus closer to the airport than the Westin. Reviews online very positive!
Old Mar 9, 2020, 2:27 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL
I have booked one night but due to the virus my flight will be cancelled, anybody knows if in this case we can get a refund or voucher for the hotel?
Old Mar 9, 2020, 3:48 am

Stopover program cancelled

Just found this on the Qatar Airways website:

Stopovers in Qatar
We are placing a temporary hold on stopover services in Doha for the purpose of connection, booked through our partner and subsidiary, Discover Qatar, or booked directly through qatarairways.com. Passengers with onward connections will not be permitted to leave Hamad International Airport (HIA).

It is with regret that we must inform our valued customers that all current stopover bookings will therefore be cancelled. A full refund will be offered, with support offered to make alternative travel plans with Qatar Airways.

Having a stopover in April and May coming up (12 hours and 26 hours), would the recommendation be to just wait and see, or to call the airline and see if they can put us on an earlier flight?
Old Mar 9, 2020, 7:35 am

Such bad timing for me...not coming from a restricted country but have a stopover hotel TOMORROW. Lord. Right now my stay is still confirmed on the website. I'll find out when I get to the airport.

I want to see a friend in the city, otherwise I wouldn't really care, but I'm hoping I can get some sort of compensation. I'm going to be stuck in the airport potentially for 20 hours. A airport hotel just isn't going to do. I'm flying business so hopefully that changes things a little so I can complain lol.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 7:50 am

Ok, so I received some additional info from someone who works at Qatar Airways marketing department!
Those who can't enter Qatar:
- People travelling from the 14 countries listed here: Bangladesh, China, Egypt, India, Iran, Iraq, Lebanon, Nepal, Pakistan, Philippines, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Syria and Thailand.
- People with an involuntary stopover (STPC)

If the stopover was voluntarily made, you will be able to exit the airport and access Doha. So basically, if you booked your hotel with Discover Qatar, there won't be any problem.
elsenor likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 11:02 am

I hope that's right because that is not what the website says. Clearly says discover hotel bookings will be canceled. I will report back.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 11:14 am

What if you decided to book a 4-night stopover. Would they really hold you at the airport for 96 hours?
Old Mar 9, 2020, 11:29 am

I'm hoping that the "temporary hold on stopover services" is just that, temporary. I was about to book our 2 night discover stopover for mid May. It looks like I can still book it, but will look to QT for guidance. I hope this isn't as big of an issue then as it is now...
Old Mar 9, 2020, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Passportinonehand
What if you decided to book a 4-night stopover. Would they really hold you at the airport for 96 hours?
Well, their language in the announcement is pretty clear: "Passengers with onward connections will not be permitted to leave Hamad International Airport." So my guess is, yes. Or maybe put you on an earlier flight subject to availability.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by mcs26891
Such bad timing for me...not coming from a restricted country but have a stopover hotel TOMORROW. Lord. Right now my stay is still confirmed on the website. I'll find out when I get to the airport.

I want to see a friend in the city, otherwise I wouldn't really care, but I'm hoping I can get some sort of compensation. I'm going to be stuck in the airport potentially for 20 hours. A airport hotel just isn't going to do. I'm flying business so hopefully that changes things a little so I can complain lol.
Let us know how it goes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.