Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

+Qatar - Doha Hotel stopovers no longer free

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 7, 2018, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: escape4
Thought it would be worthwhile setting up a Wiki for this so all the information needed is in a single place:

The offer is being able to book 1 night in a 4 Star hotel in Doha for 23 USD or 5 Star hotel for 28 USD
The tickets need to be on 157-xxxx stock (QR) and the layover has to be for a minimum of 12 hours.

Confirmed by QR:
Offer valid for Qatar Airways confirmed ticket holders only.
Offer is available on Qatar Airways flights transiting through Doha during on-ward or return journey. (E.g.
London –Doha – Bangkok).
For two (or more) people travelling together both outward and return hotels can be booked on separate tickets.
A minimum transiting time of 12 hours is required to be eligible for this offer.
Not applicable on codeshare flights.
Other terms and conditions apply. Please review at the time of booking.
A valid visa is required to enter the country.Nationals from a total of 80 countries can now take advantage
of visa-free entry into Qatar. Entry into Qatar will be at the discretion of the immigration authorities.
Discover Qatar is not responsible for the decision taken by the immigration authorities.

Link with full information is : https://www.qatarairways.com/en/offers/plus-qatar.html
Booking page is : https://discoverqatar.qatarairways.com/us-en/plusqatar

Hotels:

To be completed think it would be useful to mention advantages / Distances from attractions here but mine is:

Warwick Doha

Transport:

By far Uber is the best option in Qatar and is easy to book using the Airport and the hotel wifi.
Print Wikipost

+Qatar - Doha Hotel stopovers no longer free

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by croweater
Thinking about booking flights ADL-DOH-FCO in Feb 2020, with purposeful 35 hr connection in DOH via multi city function on Qatar website.
Do you think the stopover package will be available for 2020?
Has anyone had any experience with 2020 bookings yet?
If I book now, and stopover details for 2020 are released later in the year, will I still be available to take advantage of it?
Thanks everyone )
Welcome to Flyertalk and to the Qatar forum! All of your questions are actually discussed above in this thread (unfortunately probably not with the answers you are hoping for) so you might find it useful to have a look at the past few pages of the threads to get a sense of people's comments!

In short, nobody can know if the stopover package will continue in 2020 (some people say that they are optimistic but even then it is only their hunch based on a perception of hotel over-capacity and no clear sense of how or when the blocade might end), it is definitely not possible to book it now, but yes, the stopover can normally be booked until shortly before one's trip, so if it becomes available for your dates, you would be able to book it whenever it is released.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 1:09 am

Programs: Baec
Got myself booked up for this.

Was silly enough to book Souq Waqif boutique hotels only to find out later that it is a dry hotel.

Was thinking of trying the bus as I'm travelling alone and in no hurry.

Paying your bus fare with Karwa Smartcard

Your bus fare can only be paid with a Karwa Smartcard.

Buy or top-up the Smartcard at ticket vending machines located at Arrivals, Ground Floor, Bus Pavilion at Hamad International Airport. The Ticket Vending Machine is a user friendly, smart device available on a 24X7 basis, providing fast and secure transactions. The touch-screen is easy to use and the device offers voice assistance to customers undertaking the transactions.

The machine only accepts Cash – Qatari Riyal (QR) 1, 5, 10, 50 and 100 currency notes. Since it does not have a refund feature, customers are advised to pay using the exact amount.

Three types of Karwa Smartcards to choose from:
  • Classic Card, QAR 30 (USD 8): rechargeable card for long term / future journeys.
  • Limited Card, QR10 Card (USD 3) : two inner-city trips within a 24 hour period
  • Unlimited Card, QR20 Card (USD 5): unlimited trips across Qatar within a 24 hour period.
Please remember to tap in on boarding and tap out when leaving.

For more information, visit Karwa website

Can't decide whether to get a sim card or not...

As you step out of the automatic sliding doors that separate customs from land side arrivals you need to turn left if you want a Vodafone SIM, or right if you want an ooredoo SIM.

Vodafone Qatar

For Vodafone once you have walked to your left you will quickly come across a WH Smiths store. This is where you can buy your Vodafone SIM.
Ooredoo
If you walk out of customs and turn right, you need to walk to the end of the building (follow signs for buses) and you will see a big ooredoo stand by the escalators.

Old Jul 9, 2019, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I think that the beach really is the main argument for the Grand Hyatt ....
Also, the pool and beach area at StR are beautiful.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 4:22 am

Thanks for that. I will just wait and see, and hopefully it gets extended )
Old Jul 9, 2019, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by thinkingallowed
Got myself booked up for this.

Was silly enough to book Souq Waqif boutique hotels only to find out later that it is a dry hotel.

Was thinking of trying the bus as I'm travelling alone and in no hurry.

The bus schedules and the network have been beefed up. But if you are heading to Doha over the next few months you really need to work out if the hotel can be reached conveniently from the bus stop: the heat can be brutal.

The metro could be another option. Currently only the red line is in operation, between Al Wakra (south of the airport) to Al Qassar, north of City Centre. But I met some of the team who've been finishing off the airport section, and they say the red line spur to the airport should be ready to enter service very soon.

Fares are QAR2 (about 30p) and if you get a travelcard, a days' travel is capped at QAR6.

The souq station is on another line, but Msheireb station would put you well within a fifteen minute walk of souq waqif. But that would be ten minutes' too long in current temperatures.

So I'd get Uber or Careem from the airport. Ł5 or thereabouts. You could try the bus on your way back, when you are more in the swim.
DTCFlyer likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 6:09 am

Programs: Baec
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
The bus schedules and the network have been beefed up.....
Thanks for the info, much appreciated.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
The bus schedules and the network have been beefed up. But if you are heading to Doha over the next few months you really need to work out if the hotel can be reached conveniently from the bus stop: the heat can be brutal.

The metro could be another option. Currently only the red line is in operation, between Al Wakra (south of the airport) to Al Qassar, north of City Centre. But I met some of the team who've been finishing off the airport section, and they say the red line spur to the airport should be ready to enter service very soon.

Fares are QAR2 (about 30p) and if you get a travelcard, a days' travel is capped at QAR6.

The souq station is on another line, but Msheireb station would put you well within a fifteen minute walk of souq waqif. But that would be ten minutes' too long in current temperatures.

So I'd get Uber or Careem from the airport. Ł5 or thereabouts. You could try the bus on your way back, when you are more in the swim.
Also you have the Metro Feeder buses which will service lots of hotels in the coming months. You can hop on these to and from the stations at no additional cost.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 8:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, IB Silver, TP Gold
I'd say I got very much interested in the Grand Hyatt now! I do love a bit of Beach Club with Ibiza feelings
Why can't we have the luxurious The Westin with a Beach club - I saw there's some kind of artificial beach/poor there... I don't mind Ubering around...
Old Jul 9, 2019, 8:09 am

Pity Qatar doesn't allow booking StR... It would be nicer to have better hotels if travelling in F than flying J.... Still a bargain though
Old Jul 10, 2019, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by anabolism
How did you get a 157- ticket using Avios? Normally, Avios tickets are issued by BA (125-) or Iberia (075-).

I am not sure what you mean by "Anyone got lucky with free hotel?" If you mean "Has anyone booked a free hotel using +Qatar after they started charging," then there have been no reports of that here. If you mean "Will I get 27 hours at the hotel as one night" then that depends on the hotel. Some hotels may charge you for any stay beyond 24 hours, some might be more lenient. Best to check with the hotel before booking with +Qatar, since those bookings cannot be changed.
Thanks... Yea i got it.... Qatar website says you eticket 157 - noticed mine was 125-XXXXX I guess it's ok.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by DTCFlyer
Thanks... Yea i got it.... Qatar website says you eticket 157 - noticed mine was 125-XXXXX I guess it's ok.
That means unfortunately you are not eligible for the stopover promotion. Thankfully, Doha hotels are pretty cheap anyway but directly booked hotels (except the very expensive airport hotel) are likely to stick to standard check in/check out times.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by GGLwannabe
That's kind of what I thought, but logic doesn't always prevail. Anyway thanks for the specific hotel suggestions. I'm now wondering if I'd be able to use my Hilton Diamond status to access lounge etc, given it wouldn't be a direct booking with Hilton.
Yes, I have stayed at the Hilton using the +Qatar program and have had lounge access. However, no free upgrade to the deluxe exec rooms with balcony (nor, of course, points).
Old Jul 11, 2019, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic
That means unfortunately you are not eligible for the stopover promotion. Thankfully, Doha hotels are pretty cheap anyway but directly booked hotels (except the very expensive airport hotel) are likely to stick to standard check in/check out times.
Just an update in regards Award ticket (British Airways EC) 125-XXXXX
Called today the Concierge at The Westin Doha (48h after QPlus booking), they found my booking , just asked to forward my itinerary to their email to accommodate my early check-in request if available - I want to check out 7:30 Sunday (total 30h in the hotel)

Last edited by DTCFlyer; Jul 11, 2019 at 6:38 pm
Old Jul 11, 2019, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by DTCFlyer
Just an update in regards Award ticket (British Airways EC) 125-XXXXX
Called today the Concierge at The Westin Doha (48h after QPlus booking), they found my booking , just asked to forward my itinerary to their email to accommodate my early check-in request if available - I want to check out 7:30 Sunday (total 30h in the hotel)
Glad to hear the hotel was happy to accommodate your stay timings. How did you get a +Qatar booking using a BA ticket number? Did the web site accept a 125- number?
Old Jul 12, 2019, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by anabolism
Glad to hear the hotel was happy to accommodate your stay timings. How did you get a +Qatar booking using a BA ticket number? Did the web site accept a 125- number?
I'm also really puzzled. When going to the booking page, the etix number should be pre-populated with the QR prefix.

Also from past experience, many hotels will allow any check in time but will count the check out time as 24 hours from then on as per the stopover rules. I hope for the OP that this will not be the case, but in my experience, I'm worried that this booking has a lot of potential for bad surprises on the day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.