Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

+Qatar - Doha Hotel stopovers no longer free

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 7, 2018, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: escape4
Thought it would be worthwhile setting up a Wiki for this so all the information needed is in a single place:

The offer is being able to book 1 night in a 4 Star hotel in Doha for 23 USD or 5 Star hotel for 28 USD
The tickets need to be on 157-xxxx stock (QR) and the layover has to be for a minimum of 12 hours.

Confirmed by QR:
Offer valid for Qatar Airways confirmed ticket holders only.
Offer is available on Qatar Airways flights transiting through Doha during on-ward or return journey. (E.g.
London –Doha – Bangkok).
For two (or more) people travelling together both outward and return hotels can be booked on separate tickets.
A minimum transiting time of 12 hours is required to be eligible for this offer.
Not applicable on codeshare flights.
Other terms and conditions apply. Please review at the time of booking.
A valid visa is required to enter the country.Nationals from a total of 80 countries can now take advantage
of visa-free entry into Qatar. Entry into Qatar will be at the discretion of the immigration authorities.
Discover Qatar is not responsible for the decision taken by the immigration authorities.

Link with full information is : https://www.qatarairways.com/en/offers/plus-qatar.html
Booking page is : https://discoverqatar.qatarairways.com/us-en/plusqatar

Hotels:

To be completed think it would be useful to mention advantages / Distances from attractions here but mine is:

Warwick Doha

Transport:

By far Uber is the best option in Qatar and is easy to book using the Airport and the hotel wifi.
Print Wikipost

+Qatar - Doha Hotel stopovers no longer free

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2017, 4:56 am

Programs: Qatar Platinum
Originally Posted by SQ88
Just experienced the stopover yesterday and can share my experience as a datapoint for anyone else who might be in the same situation.

Paid for visa on arrival at premium desk with no issues. Visa was only 100QAR which was a surprise. Went through immigration within 2 mins.

Took an uber to the hotel I booked with Qatar, Shangri-La, and they checked me in with no issues. The hotel was very nice, especially considering how much I paid for the room ($0).

No issues with check out either. Wasn't billed at all. So it seems like qualifying for the free transit visa is not a criteria for the stopover.

Also, when ordering an Uber from HIA, the pick up location is actually at the pick up point right outside arrivals (instead of east or west car park). East actually corresponds to pillar 2 and west corresponds to pillar 3. Had some issue locating my uber car because I went to the car park as instructed by the app.
same here.. Was waiting at the car park with no Wifi nor a working mobile connection. Thanks to the Al-Maha attendant who helped me call up the Uber driver.
​​​​​​I had booked the St Regis for my stay, and it was fabulous. No breakfast or pick up or drop in the rate, but I was okay with it as I had my breakfast at Al Mourjan after heading back to the airport. Surprisingly my ticket was not multicity and I had a transit visa before arriving in Doha. No problems at all. They recognized the booking with the voucher. You need to take a printout though.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 9:03 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Jgp777
same here.. Was waiting at the car park with no Wifi nor a working mobile connection. Thanks to the Al-Maha attendant who helped me call up the Uber driver.
​​​​​​I had booked the St Regis for my stay, and it was fabulous. No breakfast or pick up or drop in the rate, but I was okay with it as I had my breakfast at Al Mourjan after heading back to the airport. Surprisingly my ticket was not multicity and I had a transit visa before arriving in Doha. No problems at all. They recognized the booking with the voucher. You need to take a printout though.
Just handed Shangri-La my passport and I was good to go. In fact, they were expecting me because I asked QR to inform them of my check in time. Excellent service by QR and Shangri-La in this aspect! Maybe it's hotel dependent but I agree it's better to have a printout just in case.

No breakfast included in my rate either but I landed in DOH just past midnight and headed straight to Al Safwa for lunch after check out.

Originally Posted by manes
Hi SQ88,

Just a quick question for you. Did you have a multi city booking?
Hi Manes. Booked BKK - DOH - CAI with a 14 hour layover in DOH. It was not a multi-city.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I booked BRU-DOH-NRT-DOH-BRU during a QR J sale for 600 EURish with a 23 hour stop in DOH on the way back. I did not use the "multicity search" feature.

I'm currently in the Westin.
  • They knew all about the Qatar deal and were clued up on it. "All paid for sir"
  • Seemed to go through as a corporate booking.
  • I didn't have any paper or printed confirmations. Just said "Good morning, I have a reservation under the name Calchas."
  • My SPG Gold status was acknowledged but no upgrade. Fair—I was not expecting anything on a 0 QAR room.
  • They wanted a boarding card for my past and next flight.. I emailed them a screenshot of my Apple Wallet e boarding passes which was sufficient.
  • I received a room on the third floor, perfectly adequate.
  • No lounge access.
  • I arrived at 5 am and asked for a late check out. They said up to 5 pm today was allowed. I may take the mickey a bit since they don't really seem to be in urgent need of rooms.
  • The hotel is totally abandoned, not seen any other guests since I arrived.
  • For some reason they disturbed me with the "is everything in your room ok?" phone call thirty minutes after I arrived even though I spent most of the check in talking about how nice t was going to be to be asleep. I'll chalk that up to standard middle east service industry lack of initiative.
  • Also was woken again at 7.30 by someone asking if he could do my laundry ... I blame that on myself for not putting the do not disturb sign on the door.

All in all, can't complain really.
OC_Matt and todderz like this.

Last edited by Calchas; Jun 8, 2017 at 6:02 am
Old Jun 8, 2017, 7:20 am

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
Currently at Sharq Village. The trip was booked during the January sale and was not a multicity booking but I had an overnight connection. No printout or boarding pass required or requested. Registration mentioned it was a QR room and it was fully paid for, so I anticipate no issues at checkout. There are a handful of people at the pool and beach but it's pretty empty in general. I have no idea if that's normal for summer/Ramadan/mid-day (arrived around 2pm local time), or if it's the effect of the current political situation. The only thing I was really interested in was the Museum of Islamic Art but it seems closed until the evening due to Ramadan, so I'm just spending the afternoon at the hotel. There's a nice view of the skyline across the bay.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 7:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Antipode
Currently at Sharq Village. The trip was booked during the January sale and was not a multicity booking but I had an overnight connection. No printout or boarding pass required or requested. Registration mentioned it was a QR room and it was fully paid for, so I anticipate no issues at checkout. There are a handful of people at the pool and beach but it's pretty empty in general. I have no idea if that's normal for summer/Ramadan/mid-day (arrived around 2pm local time), or if it's the effect of the current political situation. The only thing I was really interested in was the Museum of Islamic Art but it seems closed until the evening due to Ramadan, so I'm just spending the afternoon at the hotel. There's a nice view of the skyline across the bay.
Thanks for the update Antipode, I am staying at the Sharq next week. I presume one can still enjoy the delights of this property during Ramadan?
Old Jun 8, 2017, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by Gomac
Thanks for the update Antipode, I am staying at the Sharq next week. I presume one can still enjoy the delights of this property during Ramadan?
I enjoyed the pool and beach, but there is no poolside food or drink. Presumably there normally is but restrictions on eating and drinking in public are in place.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Antipode
I enjoyed the pool and beach, but there is no poolside food or drink. Presumably there normally is but restrictions on eating and drinking in public are in place.
Did you get a nice room? And any recommended way to transfer from/to the airport? Also did you have a normal or an early check in? Sorry for all the questions!!
Old Jun 9, 2017, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Did you get a nice room? And any recommended way to transfer from/to the airport? Also did you have a normal or an early check in? Sorry for all the questions!!
Regular room, but it's definitely on the nicer end for a standard room.

I used taxi from the airport and Uber back. Uber was a little cheaper on the way back because of the 25 QAR flagfall for taxis from the airport. I'm not sure if Uber has a similar fee for pickups from the airport.

I checked in around 2pm, so not terribly early (can't recall the standard check-in time). From how empty it was, I imagine early check-in should not be a problem.

BTW most of the restaurants at the hotel also seem to be closed through June 24.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 12:10 am

Programs: AA
A short trip report from my one night stop at the Horizon Manor hotel. We waited approx 20 mins for the hotel shuttle and checked in just after 6pm. The room was basic and clean, a typical business style hotel. We made use of the pool and ate at the Indian restaurant which was nice but as it was late the buffet options were limited.

The hotel is about 5 min walk to Soul Waqif which was an interesting and enjoyable experience. We walked the Corniche to the newer part of the city, took about an hour in the evening heat.

Overall Doha was a nice experience, I did have plans for a 2 night stay later in the month but those plans look like being shelved.

The Horizon Manor was an ideal hotel for the Souk and Corniche but not really for tourists on longer trips. We had a 24 hour checkin/out and were running late by a few minutes on the check out, the reception rang 3 times then threatened a late check out fee. There was no room upgrade or complimentary fruit basket as per the offer but that didn't distract from our enjoyment of the hotel.

The free visa application went through OK and no problem on arrival.
The only query I have is now i have a Qatar visitor stamp in my passport, will UAE let me in later this month if my QR flights are changed?
Old Jun 10, 2017, 1:16 am

steviewire there are at least two posts on http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...-airspace.html that say that a Qatari visa stamp is no hindrance in entering UAE. Since there are no posts that relate to entry refusal by UAE I think you can assume that it will not be a problem.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 1:50 am

Programs: AA
Remdk, that is good to know, thanks ^
Old Jun 11, 2017, 3:12 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum, AA Platinum
I booked my flight before this program was announced and don't have a multi-city ticket. I thought I would not be eligible. But really glad I read these posts, since SQ88, lost_in_translation, and antipode report getting the free night despite not having a multi-city ticket.

With regard to the cancellation policy, as someone else pointed out, it's not like they take a credit card at booking. If I show up at the hotel and they decide I'm not eligible, and I just walk away, is there really anything they can penalize me with? My back-up plan would just be to use points to do a last minute booking at hilton, marriott or spg.

And if for some reason, I decide to just rough it at the airport instead of going to the reserved hotel, any potential impact? Again, I don't see where they take a credit card for the booking...

I'm on a business class fare, so really excited to try either the Ritz or the Sharq...

Last edited by sumaya99; Jun 11, 2017 at 3:32 pm
Old Jun 15, 2017, 4:15 pm

Programs: BA[G], SQ[G], TK[G], DL[PM], EY[G], AF[S], IC[Amb], HH[G]
Originally Posted by 380fanatic
Howdie - my gf and I are going to be in DOH for 2 nights, as was wondering if anyone had any luck booking back to back hotel stays through this program? I don't see anything specific in the FAQs or terms that would prevent this, but would like to know if anyone has successfully done so.

Our tickets were purchased together, so I'm fearful they might not honor the second night, at which point I'd have rather done the $50 second night package. I know it is only $50, but if we each get a hotel then we might as well put that towards F&B.
Originally Posted by remdk
380fanatic welcome to the QR forum.

https://discoverqatar.qatarairways.c...s/PLUSQATARTNC says
"Qatar Airways E-ticket number is required to be entered at the payment page. Maximum of one booking is allowed per E-ticket number."

If you have the same E-ticket number (PNR) for both of you then no it is not possible.

If they are two separate PNRs then it may be possible. But remember "Other terms and conditions apply. Please review at the time of booking." !
These may prohibit what you are trying to do. We just do not know!
You could get into a situation where you have to pay for the second night yourselves, and USD 50 saved could become a much larger amount spent.

Since hotel bookings are non refundable, non changeable and non cancellable, by you, you need to decide if you will pay USD 50 for a two night stay or try for two one night stays with the risk of having to pay the hotels standard rate for the second night if DISCOVER QATAR will not pay for the second night.

You might be lucky because DISCOVER QATAR appears to take the rules very lightly!
Originally Posted by remdk
380fanatic I am under the impression that your E-ticket number is your reservation PNR.
The Free Visa application requires your PNR! I think that the use of E-ticket number is just Discover Qatar being a little confused as to what is what! Hopefully those who have already used this offer can tell us.

To me the flight ticket numbers are just numbers and probably the last remaining evidence of paper tickets! They still have their uses but determining if a passenger qualifies for a stopover or not is not really one of them. Some even called them Flight vouchers!

That is the reason I urge caution.
Originally Posted by Calchas
An e-ticket is a financial document that must obey a proper audit trail. It proves to Discover Qatar that you actually did buy a ticket and that Qatar has sold you a ticket.

Relying on PNRs for this could cause difficulties, if a travel agent set up a ticketless PNR and then cancelled it later, is the hotel really going to stay in sync with that?
Originally Posted by 380fanatic
Thanks again for the quick response, I went all the way through with a booking and they do indeed ask for the E ticket number, in fact the first three numbers are pre-populated for you, so doesn't look to be the PNR (like the visa).

That being said, it sounds like on paper I have a valid claim, however they could easily axe it under one of their catch all disclaimers. Assuming no one else has any insight over the next day or so I intend to reach out to Discover Qatar.
Hi there,
I'm another one really curious about this matter.
I think that ETKT is the data requested... since - in example - you could split different tickets originally booked together into different PNRs.
Anyway I don't think I'm so penny-pinching to verify that (I've had done that just to try different properties).

Finally, the real question (sorry if it was already answered and I didn't notice it): do you have to apply for the visa before booking the hotel, or you can start booking hotel and then you have just to remember to apply and obtain visa?

Thanks in advance.
L
Old Jun 15, 2017, 7:09 pm

Programs: none
@pattendorf, I think hotel reservation and visa application are not linked whatsoever. I first booked hotel and did the visa after that.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by paffendorf
do you have to apply for the visa before booking the hotel, or you can start booking hotel and then you have just to remember to apply and obtain visa?
Originally Posted by ASW1
@pattendorf, I think hotel reservation and visa application are not linked whatsoever. I first booked hotel and did the visa after that.
I agree. I applied for the hotel first then the visa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.