Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

+Qatar - Doha Hotel stopovers no longer free

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 7, 2018, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: escape4
Thought it would be worthwhile setting up a Wiki for this so all the information needed is in a single place:

The offer is being able to book 1 night in a 4 Star hotel in Doha for 23 USD or 5 Star hotel for 28 USD
The tickets need to be on 157-xxxx stock (QR) and the layover has to be for a minimum of 12 hours.

Confirmed by QR:
Offer valid for Qatar Airways confirmed ticket holders only.
Offer is available on Qatar Airways flights transiting through Doha during on-ward or return journey. (E.g.
London –Doha – Bangkok).
For two (or more) people travelling together both outward and return hotels can be booked on separate tickets.
A minimum transiting time of 12 hours is required to be eligible for this offer.
Not applicable on codeshare flights.
Other terms and conditions apply. Please review at the time of booking.
A valid visa is required to enter the country.Nationals from a total of 80 countries can now take advantage
of visa-free entry into Qatar. Entry into Qatar will be at the discretion of the immigration authorities.
Discover Qatar is not responsible for the decision taken by the immigration authorities.

Link with full information is : https://www.qatarairways.com/en/offers/plus-qatar.html
Booking page is : https://discoverqatar.qatarairways.com/us-en/plusqatar

Hotels:

To be completed think it would be useful to mention advantages / Distances from attractions here but mine is:

Warwick Doha

Transport:

By far Uber is the best option in Qatar and is easy to book using the Airport and the hotel wifi.
Print Wikipost

+Qatar - Doha Hotel stopovers no longer free

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2018, 2:50 am

Programs: Etihad Guest Silver
Another thing I noticed, BA is a codeshare partner of QR. When booking flights on QR's website, DO NOT book a flight with BA flight code, even if it is operated by Qatar airways. You will not be eligible for a visa or a hotel!

Last edited by zahidworld; Jan 5, 2019 at 5:26 pm
Old Nov 14, 2018, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by zahidworld
I had a bad experience with getting a visa.
What one needs to remember is that Arabs are racist. If you are a citizen of a poor country, they WILL refuse your visa with no explanations provided. It does not matter if you live in the West and are financially better off.

I booked flights with a very long transit so that I could tour Doha. After the visas were refused, I have had to fork out extra to change my flights.

I would advise anyone who is a citizen of a poor country NOT to even bother applying for a transit visa. NO IFs or BUTs.
Generally visa rules are based on citizenship, not residency. Are you from a country that qualifies for visa on arrival?
As it is, Qatar is one of the most liberal Arab countries in regards of visa regulations, but they still have restrictions for many countries and unfortunately this doesn't mean that they don't decline visa for non-obvious reasons sometime.
As for having to pay extra, I assume you rebooked to earlier flights so you don't have to spend all that time at the airport? Very understandable, but you could have just waited for your original flight, so you didn't really "have" to spend that money.
I think your warning is valid though, if one doesn't qualify for visa free entry, it's always appropriate to consider the possibility of getting visa declined.
nawlins likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:06 am
akm

Free night on AA award on Qatar?

It has been indicated in some posts here that the free night is available for awards tickets in Qatar business class. However, the award ticket number issued does not start with 157-. Can someone who has actually used a free night with an AA award on Qatar please elaborate on how to make the free night booking? Thanks.

Last edited by akm; Dec 3, 2018 at 5:23 pm
Old Dec 3, 2018, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by akm
However, the award ticket number issued does not start with 157-.
A QR award ticket, issued by QR, paid for with QRPC miles, is not issued on 157 stock? What are the first three numbers of the ticket?
Old Dec 4, 2018, 4:10 am

akm your ticket is an AA award and thus has an AA ticketnumber. the Free Stopover scheme is for holders of QR tickets only (ticket stock 157).
You do not qualify for the scheme.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 4:41 pm
akm

Got it. Thanks. Already booked alternate stay.

Originally Posted by remdk
akm your ticket is an AA award and thus has an AA ticketnumber. the Free Stopover scheme is for holders of QR tickets only (ticket stock 157).
You do not qualify for the scheme.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
You were quite badly served by the programme, and I hope you let them know what you thought about the switch.

I guess "old" is difficult concept in West Bay Doha Though shabbiness comes quickly if property managers are not on the ball.

Doha is a place where it pays to stick to large international chains, unless you know what you are getting into. There simply isn't the tourism demand we see in Dubai. There are some perfectly nice places, stand-alone or in obscure chains, and others that offer value in a sort of utilitarian way. And there's a splash or two of unchained luxury. But it's a risky business, going off-piste!
This is something that is very true.

I stayed at the Westin not too long after it opened. While it was generally in excellent condition, there were signs of shabbiness here and there such as lots of scuff marks on the wallpaper.

On the other hand, I've stayed in properties which were several years old/ renovated several years before which have been in excellent condition.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 5:43 pm

Programs: Enrich
Recently we use the Free Stop over program and stay in Holiday Inn in the business park. Overall not bad, the room is big and clean. However, I will suggest to take taxi instead of arrange other transport, since the immigration queue could be long if not travel via QR premium class.

The most disappointed part will be the Discover Qatar tour. I paid for chauffeur but in the end they put us together with another pair of tourist in a minivan. This is very disappointed as I would like to spend 80% of the time inside the Islamic Museum (the most worthy to visit) instead of touring around the luxury mall and island
Old Dec 6, 2018, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by dici
Recently we use the Free Stop over program and stay in Holiday Inn in the business park. Overall not bad, the room is big and clean. However, I will suggest to take taxi instead of arrange other transport, since the immigration queue could be long if not travel via QR premium class.

The most disappointed part will be the Discover Qatar tour. I paid for chauffeur but in the end they put us together with another pair of tourist in a minivan. This is very disappointed as I would like to spend 80% of the time inside the Islamic Museum (the most worthy to visit) instead of touring around the luxury mall and island

That must have been disappointing. It probably pays to be brave and independent and take a taxi/uber to where you chose to go. You could easily walk (at this time of year!) to the museum from the HI, even taking in the souq on the way back.

The museum and the souq are the only things close to must-sees in Doha. Shopping malls may be air conditioned havens in the in the summer - but really they are just ...shopping malls.
orbitmic and nilsfr69 like this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
That must have been disappointing. It probably pays to be brave and independent and take a taxi/uber to where you chose to go. You could easily walk (at this time of year!) to the museum from the HI, even taking in the souq on the way back.

The museum and the souq are the only things close to must-sees in Doha. Shopping malls may be air conditioned havens in the in the summer - but really they are just ...shopping malls.
Agree - current temperatures are around 25 degrees with the sun shining, it is a perfect time of the year to walk around and uber is very cheap so you can get one to wherever you want to go and another to go back.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Agree - current temperatures are around 25 degrees with the sun shining, it is a perfect time of the year to walk around and uber is very cheap so you can get one to wherever you want to go and another to go back.
Agree. Just one taxi or Uber towards the MIA/Souq and you can spend the day walking around the MIA, its park, the souq and along the corniche, maybe taking in a quick Dhow trip. Very easy to get a regular taxi back to the airport from these places.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 2:10 am

Programs: BAEC - Silver, Virgin Flying Club, Delta Skymiles
Just wanted to drop a note that we used this last month for a quick 48 hour stop over in Doha and it was a nice option and I'm glad we did it. Would we do it again? Probably not, but we stayed in the Souq Waqif boutique hotel and that worked great since it was walkable to the MIA and then, obviously, the souq is right there. We also went to check out the museums in the Mshereib area which were somewhat interesting, but frankly the place reminded me of Vegas in the late 90s.

The hotel let us check in at 11 or something stupid early and the room was in good shape, huge, quiet, and fairly decadent (comfy beds, turndown service, etc). For $100 it was more than ok for two nights.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite / LH Senator / KL Gold / QR Gold
Does anyone have any information about this offer being continued in 2019?
I have a flight on 7th Jan and wouldn't mind getting a free hotel stay during my time in Doha
Old Dec 9, 2018, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by hotwingz
Does anyone have any information about this offer being continued in 2019?
I have a flight on 7th Jan and wouldn't mind getting a free hotel stay during my time in Doha
I don't think anyone here knows anything about a possible extension. My recommendation would be to book a cancellable rate at a hotel, and check the +Qatar page for updates. If it is extended, it might not be until the last week of December.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: qr
Not sure if anyone has noticed seems this program has been extended (again) by another 4 months to end of April 2019 for bookings made up until 31st Jan 2019. may be of use to someone? looks like times are hard still for the tourist / hotel industry in Doha.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.