FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qatar Airways | Privilege Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club-644/)
-   -   QR to SQ interline (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club/1839784-qr-sq-interline.html)

edy4eva Apr 30, 2017 9:04 am

QR to SQ interline

Any experience with checking through bags onto SQ?

Flying DOH-SIN// SIN-BNE on SQ on a separate booking. Dreading the 70 minutes in SIN.

WorldLux Apr 30, 2017 9:55 am

Originally Posted by edy4eva (Post 28248055)
Flying DOH-SIN// SIN-BNE on SQ on a separate booking. Dreading the 70 minutes in SIN.

I wouldn't do that. I did SQ-SQ transfers with that sort of connection times and it was definitely not fun. If they refuse to check through, you can say goodbye to making it to the next flight.

plunet Apr 30, 2017 2:34 pm

Unless I am missing something SQ is StarAlliance so QR are very very unlikely to interline.

WorldLux Apr 30, 2017 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by plunet (Post 28249138)
Unless I am missing something SQ is StarAlliance so QR are very very unlikely to interline.

I don't know if QR has an IL agreement with SQ, but it isn't unheard of that airlines of different alliances have IL agreements with each other. AFAIK, KL and SQ have an agreement. AF has one with SQ as well. CX has an agreement with LH. etc.

The question will be if they interline on separate tickets. Personally I very much doubt that.

edy4eva Apr 30, 2017 5:52 pm

Thank you all. I'll double check with QR in DOH before going ahead with this. I could move to SQ's SYD flight which gives like 3-4 hours in SIN.

tboons Apr 30, 2017 6:15 pm

QR flight tends to depart abit late like 15 mins and may arrive with slight delay. 70 mins is tooooooooo tight for QR. Singapore Changi Airport and Doha both have peak traffic and take off and landing may be slightly delayed...

Often1 Apr 30, 2017 7:22 pm

Most major carriers have interline agreements, so that is not the issue. The question is whether QR will interline to SQ on a separate ticket (don't use the word "booking" as it is meaningless in this context and whether, if it will do so, whether it will do so on a 70-minute transfer (this is not a connection as not a single ticket).

I would call QR and ask and then if the answer is yes, ask that an entry be made in the PNR notes.

edy4eva May 1, 2017 6:26 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 28249876)
Most major carriers have interline agreements, so that is not the issue. The question is whether QR will interline to SQ on a separate ticket (don't use the word "booking" as it is meaningless in this context and whether, if it will do so, whether it will do so on a 70-minute transfer (this is not a connection as not a single ticket).

I would call QR and ask and then if the answer is yes, ask that an entry be made in the PNR notes.

Neither SQ nor QR list the other on their interline agreements page.

I never referred to the 70 minutes transfer in SIN as a connection.

I agree with you however, should have specified a ticket instead of booking. Although it was just a booking on hold. Haven't ticketed until I verified this is possible.

Most of this is now moot, I got a direct QR to SYD.

WorldLux May 1, 2017 9:09 am

Originally Posted by edy4eva (Post 28251260)
Neither SQ nor QR list the other on their interline agreements page.

QR has interlining agreements with SQ. The question is if they are going to check through on separate tickets. Most airlines don't as they see booking two tickets as a burden for them while the passenger circumvents their fare rules.

dogloverjb May 24, 2017 9:48 am

Originally Posted by WorldLux (Post 28251926)
QR has interlining agreements with SQ. The question is if they are going to check through on separate tickets. Most airlines don't as they see booking two tickets as a burden for them while the passenger circumvents their fare rules.

I have had QR interline to UA booked on separate tickets on more than one occasion. I now need them to interline to SQ and thanks as it seems that they will. I do have somewhat long layovers (11 hours overnight and 5 hours late afternoon) so that may be a problem for the outbound but then we'll just let the bags sit and go to transit hotel and get them the next morning.

phoneticduck May 24, 2017 10:54 am

Originally Posted by WorldLux (Post 28251926)

Is it possible to have a single ticketed journey QR-SQ?

My understanding of what an interline agreement between two airlines covers (same alliance or not) is that they honour the onward travel if a problem arises, never mind the practical benefit of the luggage aspect?

Isn't this enshrined in IATA legislation (vocabulary is probably a bit off here)?

remdk May 24, 2017 11:48 am

dogloverjb as you have experienced QR will interline baggage across reservations with non OW airlines (QR-UA). WorldLux confirms that QR has an interline agreement with SQ so there should be no problem provided the check-in staff are up to it! So it could come down to where you check-in staff at some airports are better trained than others!

If you are checked through and have all boarding passes but your baggage is not checked through you can ask the transfer desk to retrieve and redirect your baggage to your final destination. Not all airports will do this and some (DXB) charge you for it!

remdk May 24, 2017 11:57 am

phoneticduck there are two different things here. One is through check-in of passengers, which is very common, and the other is the through check of baggage which is governed by the baggage Interline agreements we are talking about here.

You could regard it as two different types of interline agreement, Passenger and baggage. And naer the twain shall meet! :D

darnold May 24, 2017 12:32 pm

I have interlined QR->SQ on separate tickets multiple times with no issues, and at BKK as the connection point no less (worse, in my experience, than SIN for all such things).

stargold May 24, 2017 2:04 pm

QR's published policy is that baggage tagging on a separate ticket connection is only possible on a oneworld onward flight. If you have separate tickets connecting to SQ, QR is not supposed to check your bag through.

None of this stops individual QR agents and stations from doing so occasionally, but don't count on QR doing so - you will certainly have no recourse when they refuse.