Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

24/25 March lot of flights delayed in Doha

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2017, 4:59 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Delete

Last edited by FlyerTalker37; Apr 23, 2018 at 11:25 pm
Old Mar 25, 2017, 7:27 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
Was on the QR9 and we sat on the ground incurring a 3 HR delay.

the storm was pretty epic.......you could feel the A380 shaking on the ground!
Old Mar 25, 2017, 7:43 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
I happened to be on my maiden QR J MR LHR-DOH-CDG-DOH-LAX. Got caught in the mess this morning. A lot of sweat in addition to mini heart attacks. And the uncertainty with the electronics ban tomorrow. Not fun at all.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 8:15 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
I happened to be on my maiden QR J MR LHR-DOH-CDG-DOH-LAX. Got caught in the mess this morning. A lot of sweat in addition to mini heart attacks. And the uncertainty with the electronics ban tomorrow. Not fun at all.
Seems like there's a bit of it going around, there were flights getting diverted from UAE airports.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 8:55 am

Programs: AC,CX,KE,EK / IHG Spire, 1865 Gateway
Hey all! I was on QR818 bound for HKG. 1 hr prior to flight departure the airport was taken over by a hugh thunderstorm sommat like a hurricane you can see trees shaking wind blowing non stop rain fall it's was crazy. After all on board we were told we couldn't fly out cuz of the weather, plus sand was washed up onto the runways, staff cars were deported to clear the runways but one of them broke down in the middle of one of the runways, some flights were diverted to other Middle East cities, we were stuck on the plane and was delayed for 4 hrs before clear for take off, still the first 40 minutes or so was bumpy, luckily nothing major. And luckily was on J so could catch up with some sleep!

Last edited by manucanuck; Mar 25, 2017 at 9:04 am
Old Mar 25, 2017, 1:44 pm

Delays due to changing runways

My friend was on a flight from Doha to Bangkok on the 03:30 Qatar Airways 836 A380 on Friday 24th march, the aircraft was heading to the end of the runway with other aircraft and all planes were told to go to the other end of the runway to take off, my friends flight was delayed by an hour. You can see the aircraft moving about on flight radar 24. Any idea why this would happen ?
Old Mar 25, 2017, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by malct
My friend was on a flight from Doha to Bangkok on the 03:30 Qatar Airways 836 A380 on Friday 24th march, the aircraft was heading to the end of the runway with other aircraft and all planes were told to go to the other end of the runway to take off, my friends flight was delayed by an hour. You can see the aircraft moving about on flight radar 24. Any idea why this would happen ?
Change of wind direction?
Old Mar 25, 2017, 1:56 pm

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
Stuck in BAH waiting for my delayed Qatar Airways flight to DOH. I'd rather be here in the Dilmun Lounge than sitting in the aircraft for hours
Old Mar 25, 2017, 2:33 pm

If so, it must have been sudden, planes had to taxi on the runway to get to the other end and nothing could take off for awhile
Old Mar 25, 2017, 3:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
Believe it not.....I did not mind the delay too much because it meant I put the seat into bed mode and slept for the near 3 hrs.

it meant that I got more sleep than I would do otherwise on a 7 hr flight to London.

As nice as the Al Mourjan is, the flat bed is just what I needed at boarding time of 01:00 hrs.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 12:34 am

HIA was bizarrely quiet yesterday despite all the pandemonium with delayed flight. QR528 from Chennai was supposed to land at about 5.30 but circled for about an hour. QR5 on time unlike many others which were delayed for 3-4 hours +. Felt very sorry for one couple in Al Mourjan whose flight
kept being pushed back and back. Good ole boys propping up the Al Mourjan bar for a few hours...

The tour of Doha was quite entertaining too; took five minutes to clear the airport for the 11am we left early. Doha in the rain and it poured and their were thunderstorms.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 9:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, ex AA EXP
I was on QR874, we got delayed 6h or so, even had to wait for an extra pilot to board due to the crew being overtime in their original configuration,
Slept 3 or 4h on the ground

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.