QR Weather Cancellation Rerouting Policy

Old Mar 14, 17, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: China Southern Elite Gold
QR Weather Cancellation Rerouting Policy

Hello all,

I was on a flight from the Melbourne to Boston via Doha yesterday(Tuesday). On my arrival in Doha, I was informed by the ground staff meeting the flight that my flight to Boston was cancelled due to the winter storm in the Northeast. This is certainly unpleasant but it is nothing out of the ordinary after years of travel. So I thought to myself I'll probably just wast one night of my life in an airport hotel and get on tomorrow's Boston flight, since BOS is basically closed down on Tuesday.
However, I was told by the ground staff that she would offer me options to go to any US city that they server (IAD, PHL, MIA, ORD) on Tuesday and that subsequently I would have to arrange my own transportation to Boston because "its a weather related event." I asked if I can stay at Doha that night and take tomorrow's Boston flight, and I was told that it would not be possible since 1. there is no guarantee that the weather will be good enough to operate flight tomorrow and 2. I cannot stay at the Airport hotel for more than 24hrs. My only options would be to travel to the above mentioned destination and they are done with me after that. I felt a bit strange as I was involved in other IRROPS in the past and that was not the standard procedure to handle it, so I asked again after getting to IAD, would they be able to book me a flight to Boston on Wednesday morning. She said no since its a weather related event and not in QR's control. I gave up trying to argue with her and so I booked my own IAD-BOS flight tomorrow and now I'm at an hotel in IAD writing you guys this post.

Have anyone had any experience with QR weather related cancellation? Is that practice of only getting me to IAD even legal according to USDOT rules? If not, I'm considering demanding reimbursement on the flight cost I paid for my IAD-BOS flight through a DOT complaint.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.Many thanks.

Ben
Old Mar 15, 17, 1:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by ben237829624 View Post

I asked if I can stay at Doha that night and take tomorrow's Boston flight, and I was told that it would not be possible since 1. there is no guarantee that the weather will be good enough to operate flight tomorrow and 2. I cannot stay at the Airport hotel for more than 24hrs.
Of little consolation, but today's (Wednesday) QR743 DOH-BOS A350 departed from Gate C5 at 09:01hrs, and was airborne at 09:15hrs.

I assume by 'Airport hotel' you are referring to the airside hotel. Not sure of your nationality, but was the possibility of staying in a DOH landside hotel not explored?
Old Mar 15, 17, 2:28 am

I think they should have got you to BOS one way or another - I'd pursue a complaint, probably with QR to start with.
Old Mar 15, 17, 3:10 am

ben237829624 welcome to the QR forum.

QR have worked hard to improve their customer relations over the last few months. Now they ruin it with such stupidity.

According to "QATAR AIRWAYS CONDITIONS OF CARRIAGE FOR PASSENGERS AND BAGGAGE" dated 18th May 2016 then under"ARTICLE 10 - SCHEDULES, CANCELLATION OF FLIGHTS" it clearly states their and your responsibilities in case of cancellation. the text of the article starts "1. Schedules
1.1 We undertake to use our best efforts to carry you and your Baggage with reasonable dispatch and to adhere to published schedules in effect on the date of travel, but no particular time is fixed for the commencement or completion of carriage, and times shown in timetables or elsewhere are approximate and not guaranteed, and do not form part of the Conditions of Contract. Schedules are subject to change without notice, and we assume no liability for making connections.
1.2 We may without notice, substitute alternative carriers, or aircraft.
2. Cancellation, Changes of Schedule etc.
2.1 If we cancel or delay a flight, are unable to provide previously confirmed space, fail to stop at a Passenger stopover or destination point, or cause you to miss a connecting flight on which you hold a reservation, we shall either:
(i) Carry you on another of our scheduled Passenger services on which space is available; or
(ii) Re-route you to the destination indicated on the Ticket or applicable portion thereof by our own scheduled services or the scheduled services of another carrier, or by means of surface transportation. If the sum of the fare, excess Baggage charge and any applicable service charge for the revised routing is higher than the refund value of the Ticket or applicable
portion thereof, we will not require additional fare or charges from you and will refund the difference if the fare and charge for the revised routing are lower; or
(iii) Make a refund in accordance with the provisions of Article 11 and shall be under no further liability to you."

QR have chosen option 2.1.ii but only partially fulfilled them. They are in breach of their own published regulations. Take the matter up with QR immediately!
The document quoted is sent with each new reservation confirmation.
We all seem to have ignored the fact that the only way to get them to read is by clicking a button saying we H!AVE read them
Old Mar 15, 17, 3:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer View Post
Of little consolation, but today's (Wednesday) QR743 DOH-BOS A350 departed from Gate C5 at 09:01hrs, and was airborne at 09:15hrs.

I assume by 'Airport hotel' you are referring to the airside hotel. Not sure of your nationality, but was the possibility of staying in a DOH landside hotel not explored?
I was baffled when the agent said that there's no guarantee tomorrow's flight will operate as the weather forecast showed that show would end Tuesday night. And given its Boston, they can surely get an airport shoveled and salted.
My nationality is China, so the TWOV is 24hrs. I wasn't aware of the existence of a airside hotel. I thought the agent meant a landside hotel.
Old Mar 15, 17, 3:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mr_botak View Post
I think they should have got you to BOS one way or another - I'd pursue a complaint, probably with QR to start with.
Thanks for the advice. I think this is what I will do.
Old Mar 15, 17, 3:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by remdk View Post
ben237829624 welcome to the QR forum.

QR have worked hard to improve their customer relations over the last few months. Now they ruin it with such stupidity.

According to "QATAR AIRWAYS CONDITIONS OF CARRIAGE FOR PASSENGERS AND BAGGAGE" dated 18th May 2016 then under"ARTICLE 10 - SCHEDULES, CANCELLATION OF FLIGHTS" it clearly states their and your responsibilities in case of cancellation. the text of the article starts "1. Schedules
1.1 We undertake to use our best efforts to carry you and your Baggage with reasonable dispatch and to adhere to published schedules in effect on the date of travel, but no particular time is fixed for the commencement or completion of carriage, and times shown in timetables or elsewhere are approximate and not guaranteed, and do not form part of the Conditions of Contract. Schedules are subject to change without notice, and we assume no liability for making connections.
1.2 We may without notice, substitute alternative carriers, or aircraft.
2. Cancellation, Changes of Schedule etc.
2.1 If we cancel or delay a flight, are unable to provide previously confirmed space, fail to stop at a Passenger stopover or destination point, or cause you to miss a connecting flight on which you hold a reservation, we shall either:
(i) Carry you on another of our scheduled Passenger services on which space is available; or
(ii) Re-route you to the destination indicated on the Ticket or applicable portion thereof by our own scheduled services or the scheduled services of another carrier, or by means of surface transportation. If the sum of the fare, excess Baggage charge and any applicable service charge for the revised routing is higher than the refund value of the Ticket or applicable
portion thereof, we will not require additional fare or charges from you and will refund the difference if the fare and charge for the revised routing are lower; or
(iii) Make a refund in accordance with the provisions of Article 11 and shall be under no further liability to you."

QR have chosen option 2.1.ii but only partially fulfilled them. They are in breach of their own published regulations. Take the matter up with QR immediately!
The document quoted is sent with each new reservation confirmation.
We all seem to have ignored the fact that the only way to get them to read is by clicking a button saying we H!AVE read them
Thank you! I'll definitely quote this in the email I sent.
Old Mar 15, 17, 4:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by ben237829624 View Post

I wasn't aware of the existence of a airside hotel. I thought the agent meant a landside hotel.
http://hiahotel.com/

https://dohahamadairport.com/relax/airport-hotel
Old May 12, 17, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Hello guys, I though it would be good to give an update on this issue so I'm letting you guys know what happened after I made this post.

I initially filed a complaint to QR's customer service team, and they responded that since no flight was available to BOS on Tuesday, and I "voluntarily accepted" to travel to IAD instead, they cannot reimburse me. I replied to that email stating my position, but no one ever responded to me. After waiting for two weeks, I filed a complaint to USDOT.
After a lengthy wait of one month, QR's Customer Relations Offficer for US and Canada acknowledged my complaint and offered me a reimbursement of the hotel and airfare incurred, while still claiming Qatar Airways was not at fault due to the same reason above. I replied by stating my position for the 3rd time and accepted their compensation offer. I'm now waiting for the reimbursement to arrive in my bank account.
So at the end I got what I wanted but I will probably stay away from Qatar Airways for the near future, if during an IRROPS they think its ok to say why don't you go to somewhere you don't need to go and call it a day.

Again, thanks for the advice.
Old May 13, 17, 4:24 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
For an airline that is excellent in the sky it is surprising just how bad they are elsewhere.

At the end of the day you have a contract to go from A to B and it is their responsibility to transport you (unless of course you agree to an alternative)
Old May 13, 17, 8:28 am

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
How to make sure a customer will no longer fly a given airline.
A side question: what was your travel class?
Would that impact QR's handling of passengers?
Old May 13, 17, 9:50 am

tartempion ticket class should not affect how QR handles passengers. But that can depend upon the fare and other rules for that ticket class
Cabin class should definitely not affect how QR treats passengers but given QR top managements attitude that if you are not in first or business you do not exist it very likely does!
Old May 14, 17, 6:46 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
I have in the past complained as a First Class passenger and did not get a proper response so it is more the overall attitude in my opinion. Qatar unfortunately are not alone in responding badly to problems but it does surprise me when they give so much attention to the on board experience

Search this Thread
Search Engine: