QR Interlining (Baggage)

Old Aug 17, 2023, 7:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Jackylad
Is it still QR's policy to allow baggage through-check on two seperate tickets (albeit both on QR metal)? I've just asked their chat support to confirm and they came back with the following:

"If you have 2 separate tickets but on Qatar Airways, then through check-in of your bags will be possible or not will be determined by the check-in staff. For this Paul, I am sorry, we will not be able to give you any prior confirmation."

This is such a vague answer, it seems odd that you can't get a definitive yes/no in advance!
It is still policy:

https://www.qatarairways.com/en-gb/a.../oneworld.html

Qatar Airways is pleased to offer passengers the courtesy of through check of themselves and their bags to their final destination when travelling on multi-sector journeys involving connections onto other oneworld member airlines, even when the trip is booked using separate tickets. However, customers should note that through check may not be possible on their return journey if there trip starts with another airline that does not provide the same level of service.

Jackylad likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2023, 1:34 pm

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Schwann
Its getting increasingly frustrating when QR customer service reps just cant simply iterate published policy to customers. Its gotten to the point where one has a higher likelihood of getting grossly inaccurate information from airline representatives than not, even for *very* straightforward questions like interlining bags on 2 QR tickets. These arent some very vague or unique questions, but something that a decent chunk of travelers may deal with. Really infuriating.

Edit: Since I seemingly have a penchant for putting myself through anguish, I just called the plat line asking to confirm if can through check a bag on to MH on a flight I have in a few days. At first the agent said point blank no, but then after minutes of proding, including reading back the the exact text from the website. After a hold he finally said yes it should be possible. 10 minutes of my life Ill never get back but I guess thats QR customer service 🙃

Last edited by fender5787; Aug 17, 2023 at 1:52 pm
Old Aug 17, 2023, 1:46 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by fender5787
It’s getting increasingly frustrating when QR customer service reps just can’t simply iterate published policy to customers. It’s gotten to the point where one has a higher likelihood of getting grossly inaccurate information from airline representatives than not, even for *very* straightforward questions like interlining bags on 2 QR tickets. These aren’t some very vague or unique questions, but something that a decent chunk of travelers may deal with. Really infuriating.
Nothing new, really. QR's CSRs are woefully incompetent at even the most tasks. Any question or request that requires some level of thought is usually too much for them to handle. While I'm not defending QR, this is sadly common throughout the industry, where the frontliners are for the most part people filling minimum wage positions and simply don't care enough.

This is precisely why FlyerTalk has become a great source of information, often way better than any chat feature or call centre, because it's stuffed with people who do live and breathe travel.
plunet and fender5787 like this.
Old Aug 17, 2023, 1:55 pm

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by SilverChris
Nothing new, really. QR's CSRs are woefully incompetent at even the most tasks. Any question or request that requires some level of thought is usually too much for them to handle. While I'm not defending QR, this is sadly common throughout the industry, where the frontliners are for the most part people filling minimum wage positions and simply don't care enough.

This is precisely why FlyerTalk has become a great source of information, often way better than any chat feature or call centre, because it's stuffed with people who do live and breathe travel.
Agree that most CS reps are unfortunately not compensated enough at all to truly care (and this isnt an issue that only effects aviation, but a plethora of sectors), but on the other hand, Ive never gotten objectively *wrong* info from CS reps of other airlines. Yes, they may not have been able to fix my issue, or simply state they dont know, but Ive never been told the polar opposite of what the actual policy is except for on QR. And as great as FT is, it shouldnt be the be all end all source. A well run company shouldnt have to crowdsource to be able to be profitable. I really commiserate with the non-savvy traveler who doesnt even know that FT exists, trying to get simple answers from what they would think would be a reputable source.
Jackylad likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2023, 2:07 pm

Programs: BA Silver / IHG Platinum Elite / Pan Pacific Gold / Hilton Silver / Accor Silver
Its getting increasingly frustrating when QR customer service reps just cant simply iterate published policy to customers. Its gotten to the point where one has a higher likelihood of getting grossly inaccurate information from airline representatives than not, even for *very* straightforward questions like interlining bags on 2 QR tickets. These arent some very vague or unique questions, but something that a decent chunk of travelers may deal with. Really infuriating.

Edit: Since I seemingly have a penchant for putting myself through anguish, I just called the plat line asking to confirm if can through check a bag on to MH on a flight I have in a few days. At first the agent said point blank no, but then after minutes of proding, including reading back the the exact text from the website. After a hold he finally said yes it should be possible. 10 minutes of my life Ill never get back but I guess thats QR customer service 🙃
Agreed.

Further to the above, I contacted them again after my first post on here, and received a different answer again, much more vague than the first. At least this one asked for my booking reference(s).

It's annoying, their customer servers (via their chat team) are one of the most accessible of all airlines, with instantaneous responses almost 100% of the time, but there's little point when they can't be trusted to provide an accurate answer!
Old Aug 17, 2023, 2:11 pm

Agreed.

Further to the above, I contacted them again after my first post on here, and received a different answer again, much more vague than the first. At least this one asked for my booking reference(s).

It's annoying, their customer servers (via their chat team) are one of the most accessible of all airlines, with instantaneous responses almost 100% of the time, but there's little point when they can't be trusted to provide an accurate answer!
Exactly, zero point in fast and efficient if the end result is a failure. But in your case, I wouldnt fret since theres a 99.9999999% chance youll be able to interline with ease, irregardless of what the reps say.
Jackylad likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2023, 2:15 pm

Programs: BA Silver / IHG Platinum Elite / Pan Pacific Gold / Hilton Silver / Accor Silver
Exactly, zero point in fast and efficient if the end result is a failure. But in your case, I wouldnt fret since theres a 99.9999999% chance youll be able to interline with ease, irregardless of what the reps say.
I'll take those odds, thanks
fender5787 likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2023, 12:41 am

Programs: BAEC
I'll take those odds, thanks
If there is any query or pushback just ask the agent who will be an outsourced resource that ends up doing check in for many different airlines to get their supervisor which at an outstation is usually the QR employee and station manager. They should have more clue about company check in policies if the individual agent doesn't.
ziek likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2023, 3:05 am

Originally Posted by plunet
If there is any query or pushback just ask the agent who will be an outsourced resource that ends up doing check in for many different airlines to get their supervisor which at an outstation is usually the QR employee and station manager. They should have more clue about company check in policies if the individual agent doesn't.
Good shout, thanks. Departure point is LHR so I'd hope/expect that there's a decent amount of QR employees on hand.
Old Aug 18, 2023, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
With all due respect, asking such questions about airport matters (through-check of bags,...) often leads to wrong answers from reservation agents on many airlines.
As Plunet points out, even outsourced check-in agents are often clueless.
The airline website (as proof) and FT have more knowledge.
surryson likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2023, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by plunet
I recently had to do this at YUL, check in agent was struggling to accomplish something in their system, a wave over to the QR SM and she came over and got it done in a few seconds
Old Aug 19, 2023, 5:19 pm

Programs: QF Gold, CX Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond
As a positive datapoint, I successfully had a QR agent in OTP check me through on separate tickets. First ticket was QR OTP-DOH-SIN connecting to a second ticket which was QF SIN-SYD. It was done very quickly and with no questions asked so thank you to the OTP team!
plunet and Jackylad like this.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 8:35 am

So just to add a data point, at JFK today, initially the Swissport contracted agent had no idea about through checking on MH, but after asking if the station manager could help, sure enough, she was able to through check my bag to DPS (my QR itinerary is JFK-DOH-KUL with KUL-DPS on MH). She was also able to issue my MH boarding pass too. So even at this most wretched hive of scum and villainy that is JFK, through checking works.

As an aside, first time ex-JFK they put the yellow F bag tags instead of the usual orange J tags. Obviously its pretty meaningless, but still
Old Sep 3, 2023, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Schwann
Interestingly, this policy isnt visible on the UK version of the QR website. I managed to find it via Google which took me to the South Africa version of the site, and the policy was there. Website glitch, or market specific policy?

Ive got a F ticket on BA LHR - DOH and a separate J ticket DOH - BKK on QR. Both airlines have told me I cannot interline and will need to collect my bags at DOH. 8 hour connection.
Old Sep 3, 2023, 10:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Good spot. They have appeared to removed the policy - at least from the website.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.